News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

And the day after Halloween...

Started by LMNO, October 31, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, here we are.  Halloween, 2012.  In a few hours, it will be midnight, and I'll officially be 40 years old.  Or, it will be the fifth anniversary of my 35th birthday.  Depends on my mood, really.

Perhaps this might sound melodramatic, but I honestly could never picture myself at 40 when I was younger.  Little boys playing at Nihilism, I suppose, but sometimes I didn't think I'd make it.  Or, maybe it's that I didn't know what I wanted, so I didn't know what to envision.

Certainly, I had no idea I'd end up at a major financial/insurance company when I was 19.  Or even at 23.  Or 28.  It was an inexorable pull of events that led me from driving trucks around Boston to mastering regulations and processes revolving around a small section of the tax code... hey, wake up.

One thing I WAS sure I'd be doing at forty is making and playing music.  I'm in two great bands, and working on a third.  I've been lucky enough to study audio engineering, and I manage to carve out enough time in my day to keep those skills fresh.  Music has been such a large part of my life for so long, I don't see any possible way I could give it up. 

I've also been amazed at the amount of awesome people I've managed to meet so far.  They've come from all over, and managed to go all over once again.  They've shaped my life, my music, and my ideas.  They've ranged from squatting punkers to Entomologist post-grads, artists to software developers, DJs to tech writers.  When I look back at the line of friends I've made, the one thing that stands out is that they've all been INTERESTING.  And that's the best you can hope for.

But the biggest and best part of these forty years for me is the person who has been with me for over a third of them.  She's been there through the craziness, through the boring bits, through two apartments and a condo; and she's always had my back, encouraging me when I was down, and laughing with me when I was happy.  She's someone with whom I can go on adventures, and we've had our fair share of that.  I'm incredibly lucky she agreed to marry me.

So never mind the grey hairs, the strange aches, or the desk job.  In the past forty years, I've made friends, I've recorded albums – hell, I even self published a book – and I found someone who can love me for who I am.  So, yeah.  It's been a good life so far.  I think I'll stick around for more.

Nephew Twiddleton

Well said sir. Happy early birthday to you as well.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Happy birthday.

And may I just add, being 40 was supposed to happen to other people.  EVERYONE feels that way.

On the other hand, it's far easier to get idiots to take you seriously at this age.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

Congratulations on your 40th. I'm glad you've got such a good perspective on it. I'm soon to be approaching this particular 'milestone' or 'exit ramp' depending on your mood.  If someone told 20 year old me "In 20 years you will be married, living in a different country and running your own business" I would've thought them entirely out of their mind.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Eater of Clowns

When the FABULOUS turned 40,
they partied the night, they drank the day.
they were a sight, they're born to play.
On the day the FABULOUS turned 40.

we were all astir, we were up in arms.
we were a blur, we were all charms.

so many infected, so quick to spread.
safety neglected, such wondrous dread.

with all reborn as something gay.
who knew life could be this way?

And the FABULOUS turned 40,
woke to victory flags unfurled.
And the FABULOUS turned 40,
into a post-greyface world.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Happy 40, LMNO! And remember, when you turn 40, you're starting a whole new decade, which means that you get to say "early 40's" for the next 5 years!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

70 is the new 40, so NPR has told me.  Happy Bday dude.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Have a happy one, and, don't worry...  40 isn't so bad, I swear.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

You were born on All Souls Day? SWEET!

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

I hate both of you, taking the cool birthdays before I got born. :argh!:

Phox

Happy... err... Whatever-You-Call-The-Day-On-Which-A-Cosmic-Horror-Emerged-From-The-Blackness-Of-Oblivion day.

East Coast Hustle

Happy Goddamn Birthday, L.

And congratulations on a life well lived so far.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"