News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Police cameras

Started by Elder Iptuous, November 15, 2012, 04:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 24, 2012, 06:14:18 PM
Hands-on experience....with less than 1% of the total of US law enforcement. In a setting where they're not actually on patrol or responding to a call.

Okay, see, your credibility is pretty much shot right here.  You have NO idea what's going on in downtown L/A these days.  We have gangs coming in to recruit the disenfranchised Somali kids, downtown is rife with drug trafficking, prostitution, and yes, we even have some human trafficking going on.  It may not be New York City or Detroit but it sure as fuck ain't Mayberry.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is incredibly cringe-inducingly embarrassing to watch. Please stop digging in and screeching, RWHN. I'm not even getting a kick out of watching it, it's painful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Try being on my side of it.  For me, it is kind of sad to see just how deep the unquestioning cynicysm goes around here these days.  I mean, I get it, it's easier to just buy that everything is shit and everything is awful.  But it isn't the truth.  Is there awful shit that needs to be fixed?  Absolutely!  Is there too much of it?  Yes! 

But, there ARE good people out there doing good.  There are law abiding, law-upholding officers of the law out there who took an oath to serve and protect their citizens.  They aren't all pigs.  And I don't think it is fair to even say they are mostly pigs.  Maybe they are in your city.  But that's your city.  There are a lot of cities in America.  Ther is a lot of America that isn't Portland, or Tuscon, or whatever other Horrormirthville, USA location you live in. 

Jeebus, speaking as someone who has lately enjoyed many more dark days than I would ever care for, try expanding your horizons a bit beyond your dank, dark boxes. 

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 24, 2012, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 24, 2012, 06:14:18 PM
Hands-on experience....with less than 1% of the total of US law enforcement. In a setting where they're not actually on patrol or responding to a call.

Okay, see, your credibility is pretty much shot right here.  You have NO idea what's going on in downtown L/A these days.  We have gangs coming in to recruit the disenfranchised Somali kids, downtown is rife with drug trafficking, prostitution, and yes, we even have some human trafficking going on.  It may not be New York City or Detroit but it sure as fuck ain't Mayberry.

:lulz: Aside from the fact that I was there about 2 weeks ago, yeah.

It may be the "ghetto of Maine", dude, but that just speaks to how nice Maine is. I've lived in middle-class suburbs with worse crime and gang problems than L/A. But you go on thinking your incredibly limited experience (in terms of both geography and professional setting) is somehow relevant to what we're discussing. I've presented my view and quoted linked sources as evidence. You can ignore that or not as you choose but once again it's obvious that there's little point in debating with you. This is an otherwise interesting subject, however, so I hope the other people ITT are still as interested as I am.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

What part of L/A exactly were you visiting?

East Coast Hustle

The "L" part of L/A. Mostly Sabbattus St.

Right around the corner from the part where I'm done debating this with you.

By the way, people who refer to it as L/A in conversation should have their Maine card revoked. I trust you're only doing that to protect your privacy.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

I see, well, the actual downtown portion of "L" has plenty going on that not only requires the police to patrol, they have an additional sub-station located in the area.  And, one of my friends is giving up his cushy community policing job and voluntarily taking that, overnight, patrol position precisely because he wants to serve and protect.  , including the Somali's, the mentally ill, the poor....there are good joes out there doing these jobs, there are lots of them.

Elder Iptuous

Soooooo....

i just saw that the Looxcie bluetooth headset camera that i had previously seen has a new version (Looxcie 2, creatively).
it's $150 msrp
480p
seems pretty intuitive to use from a scan of the user manual.
weighs less than an ounce
and barely looks goofy, relative to other socially unquestioned (for the most part) bluetooth headsets.

ubiquitous POV recording is getting closer

AFK

Seems like that could pretty easily be knocked out in any moderate scruffle.

Elder Iptuous

....yeeeah.
i think it's geared more for people taking videos of their kids playing t-ball, or just for the pure nerdgasm of it.
although they have actioncam clips that you can stick on your helmet, even that is for, perhaps hiking or mountain biking.
i haven't seen headcams marketed to the MMA crowd yet, perhaps they could stick one in their mouthguards.

AFK

That would be interesting.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 24, 2012, 08:12:01 PM
I see, well, the actual downtown portion of "L" has plenty going on that not only requires the police to patrol, they have an additional sub-station located in the area.  And, one of my friends is giving up his cushy community policing job and voluntarily taking that, overnight, patrol position precisely because he wants to serve and protect.  , including the Somali's, the mentally ill, the poor....there are good joes out there doing these jobs, there are lots of them.

Translation: SHIT IS REAL OUT HURR IN MAINE, DAWG. Y'ALL DON'T EVEN KNOW 'BOUT HOW WE BE GETTIN' DOWN IN THESE MEAN STREETS.

Nephew Twiddleton

So in a nutshell what did I miss? What's RWHN on about?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

From what I've gathered, he thinks that, as an institution, cops aren't racist, etc. This is based on hands on experience (in one city as a white middle class man in Maine, I might add), while ECH has linked to evidence to support the fact that, as an institution, cops are racist, etc. There has been screeching and heel-digging.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

AFK

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 25, 2012, 12:06:40 AM
So in a nutshell what did I miss? What's RWHN on about?

The clumsy generalization that has been made of law enforcement in the US.  i strongly disagree with it based on my experiences working with various departments at various levels throughout my career.  More often than not, I've met and partnered with commited individuals who took the job to make their communities safer for its citizens.  The city I work in has a large refugee, immigrant population and the police have worked tirelessly to try to make their community safer for them which includes working WITH, not against, the elders and the Mosque leaders.

But, nutshell is I think there is far too much cynicism with respect to the police.  Not that there aren't problems, but that they aren't as endemic as being purported.