News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

On the role of experts in creating personal belief systems.

Started by Kai, December 17, 2012, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I think it is probably more of a function of the type of person who would tend to get into such a field. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cainad (dec.)

I know, I'm just being grumpy and flippant because it's been a year. Stupid Geology. :madbanana:

AFK

See, I had it made because I had one foot in the arts and one foot in science.  Though, in all honesty, once you added alcohol into the mix, majors went out the window.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on December 28, 2012, 01:31:39 AM
I know, I'm just being grumpy and flippant because it's been a year. Stupid Geology. :madbanana:

Rocks aren't even really a science, and shit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But seriously, at this point there's no way of knowing whether the type of person who's into arts is more sexual, or whether getting into arts makes you more sexual.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

And then there is the whole quantity vs quality debate.  Maybe artists are having MORE sex but are they having BETTER sex? 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anencephaly Zone Correspondent on December 27, 2012, 07:46:32 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 27, 2012, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: :regret: on December 27, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on December 23, 2012, 05:08:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2012, 04:35:04 PM
The human appreciation for art in all its forms doesn't have - to my knowledge - any survival value, so I am at present assuming that there's more to the story than just biology.
A quick note on this:
(Apologies: I have nothing, no articles or anything, to back up what I'm about to say. This is all from memory.)

Certain things that humans crave fall outside of survival value, but are still related to it. For example: we crave sweets and fats and this guides us to eat what our bodies need. But there are certain tastes and smells that trigger this to an extreme, beyond survival value, but they stem from those same nerves. Example: cheesecake is fatty and sugary and super delicious, and with no knowledge of nutrition, one might be compelled to eat only cheesecake over a more nutritious but less stimulating food.

This impulse to be attracted to super-stimuli (a word that I may have just made up) can extend to all of our senses. Certain sounds are more or less desirable for survival reasons, and so a sonic super-stimuli like music would be like cheesecake for the ears. Likewise with visual art, where we are attracted to certain angles and colors for survival reasons, but a particularly aesthetic painting might be like eye cheesecake.

Of course, this is just theoretic, some food for thought. Many evolutionary ideas are not falsifiable, and this idea certainly falls under that category.
Hmmm interesting idea.
That would make art anti-fitness, like cheescake. Or a peacock's tail.
It is easy to test if it is like a peacock's tail.
Do artists get laid more? If yes, then art has a mayor survival benefit. It is sexy.

I am not sure if there are any scientific studies on this, but if I can base anything on my own personal experience and observation of those around me, yes, artists get laid wayyyyyyy more.

Performers, definitely.
But for some reason an image of Van Gogh mailing his ear to a prostitute popped in my head. He could be an aberration, though.  :roll:

Artists are also nuts.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Yep. :)

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 28, 2012, 01:24:25 AM
I think it is probably more of a function of the type of person who would tend to get into such a field. 

But the talent and temperament seem hardwired, it's not something you pick.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anencephaly Zone Correspondent on December 28, 2012, 07:39:48 PM

THIS THIS THIS.  And there's nothing more annoying than the people who fake it.  Hipsters, neo-hippies, Pagan "artistes", and ALMOST EVERY SINGLE PERSON on Deviantart.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 07:43:15 PM

THIS THIS THIS.  And there's nothing more annoying than the people who fake it.  Hipsters, neo-hippies, Pagan "artistes", and ALMOST EVERY SINGLE PERSON on Deviantart.

Yeah, but they put out. Don't discourage them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 28, 2012, 08:16:16 PM

Have you SEEN these people?  Nigel, you are the kind of person who can get damn near anyone you want.  Why would you want 400 pound people wearing trip pants?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 08:21:43 PM

Have you SEEN these people?  Nigel, you are the kind of person who can get damn near anyone you want.  Why would you want 400 pound people wearing trip pants?

Ewwwwwwww no!

Our local poseurs are at least ATTRACTIVE.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 28, 2012, 08:49:56 PM

Ewwwwwwww no!

Oh, well then.  Burn 'em up like cheap firewood.   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 08:59:15 PM

Ewwwwwwww no!

I'm cleaning up this city, one hipster artiste at a time.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 28, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2012, 08:59:15 PM

Ewwwwwwww no!

I'm cleaning up this city, one hipster artiste at a time.

THE HIGHWAY'S FULL OF BROKEN HIPSTERS ON A LAST CHANCE POWER DRIVE