Main Menu

Open Bar MMXIV^2: Solace of Quantum

Started by Cain, June 05, 2013, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love learning things, but jesus.

QuoteParasocial interaction
Audiences often respond to media personalities as if they are close friends or personal acquaintance (e.g., greeting a newscaster out loud; Giles, 2002). This imaginary friendship that develops between an audience and media personality is referred to as parasocial relationship, and the general communicative phenomenon that takes place in this relationship is called parasocial interaction (PSI; Horton & Wohl, 1956).
:cry:

From "Reduction of Perceived Social Distance as an Explanation for Media's Influence on Personal Risk Perceptions: A Test of the Risk Convergence Model"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 02, 2013, 06:28:09 PM

Audiences often respond to media personalities as if they are close friends or personal acquaintance (e.g., greeting a newscaster out loud; Giles, 2002). This imaginary friendship that develops between an audience and media personality is referred to as parasocial relationship, and the general communicative phenomenon that takes place in this relationship is called parasocial interaction (PSI; Horton & Wohl, 1956).

From "Reduction of Perceived Social Distance as an Explanation for Media's Influence on Personal Risk Perceptions: A Test of the Risk Convergence Model"

That seems like insanely important research to have with the whole celebrities on twitter thing,  can we see more of it?

Suu

Jesus H. Fucking Christ. I'm convinced Americans are too fucking spoiled with the idea that clothing comes off of a rack in Walmart for $10.

I quote this woman $420 on a "Karaginu Mo." Which is the formal dress for women in Heian Era Japan. She wanted it 100% silk, so that's the silk price.

She just cut me a new one because she's only a "stay at home mom."

What did she expect?! Seriously?! When you say, "It has to be silk because the required fabric in Spring during the Heian Empire was silk." Then you're going to get what you pay for. That is the cheapest charmeuse I can find at $14 a yard, plus my time considering I have to draft Japanese patterns, which I do not have just sitting around.

I am getting so fucking sick of this shit. Between her and this guy who just emailed me bitching that his tunic is fraying BECAUSE HE CUT OFF THE HEM and wants a refund, I'm going back to fucking bartending.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Just wrote chapters 5 & 6 in Hell in a Dry Place, and I gotta say, this story is going places that I never intended.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 02, 2013, 07:01:00 PM

That seems like insanely important research to have with the whole celebrities on twitter thing,  can we see more of it?

Sure, I'll start a thread on it at some point after I get back from school. My research is mostly going to be relating to the ways narrative media can influence personal risk perceptions, so there should be some good nuggets in there.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 02, 2013, 07:06:49 PM
Just wrote chapters 5 & 6 in Hell in a Dry Place, and I gotta say, this story is going places that I never intended.

Ooooo I am looking forward to it!

Doktor Howl

I talk to radio people, when I'm driving to work.

DJ:  "Good morning, Tucson!"

Dok:  "Good morning, horribly plastic radio personality!"
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 02, 2013, 07:24:54 PM

Bonus points if you can figure out the inspiration for #6.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 02, 2013, 07:26:21 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 02, 2013, 07:24:54 PM

Bonus points if you can figure out the inspiration for #6.

I'm gonna have to sit on it for a while, my brain is full of AAAAARGH.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu on July 02, 2013, 07:03:26 PM
Jesus H. Fucking Christ. I'm convinced Americans are too fucking spoiled with the idea that clothing comes off of a rack in Walmart for $10.

I quote this woman $420 on a "Karaginu Mo." Which is the formal dress for women in Heian Era Japan. She wanted it 100% silk, so that's the silk price.

What did she expect?! Seriously?! When you say, "It has to be silk because the required fabric in Spring during the Heian Empire was silk." Then you're going to get what you pay for. That is the cheapest charmeuse I can find at $14 a yard, plus my time considering I have to draft Japanese patterns, which I do not have just sitting around.

I am getting so fucking sick of this shit. Between her and this guy who just emailed me bitching that his tunic is fraying BECAUSE HE CUT OFF THE HEM and wants a refund, I'm going back to fucking bartending.
your price seems extremely reasonable.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Suu on July 02, 2013, 07:03:26 PM

I just spent 13 seconds image searching a Karaginu Mo, and I can tell immediately that $420 is a totally reasonable price, even for a relatively simple one. That's a lot of yardage, especially for expensive fabric.

And what kind of toolbox retard cuts the hem off of anything and expects it to stay together by magic?

Maybe I have privileged knowledge because my mom is a competent seamstress who made all my Halloween costumes during my childhood and I've sewn a few of my own things, but goddamn.

LMNO

More basic rule: IF YOU FUCK WITH THE CLOTHING YOURSELF, YOU DON'T GET A REFUND.

Suu

She wants me to do it for $100 if she can supply the fabric.

:kingmeh:

Cainad: 9 yards if the top is lined.

I work for $20 an hour. No more, no less. Handwork is $25 an hour. I'm a fucking steal, but if I go any higher, no one will buy. Like the guy that wanted the embroidered Rus coat. I quoted $300 and he called me expensive.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

I'm trying to cut a deal, because she REALLY wants it, and I'm apparently the ONLY person who is crazy enough to take on Japanese clothing. (Why? It's fucking rectangles!) So I dunno...At least she hasn't walked away. That and when I posted the price on the board, someone went, "That's a great price!" So I think she feels pressured.  :|

Oh, and before you're confused, the karaginu mo is the outer most coat and train. NOT the layers and layers of robes, that is called the Kosode no Orami, and it has to be worn in specific color patterns per the seasons. The Japanese were absolute fashionistas.