News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Cop selfies!

Started by EK WAFFLR, July 30, 2013, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Nephew Twiddleton

This one's my favorite, I think.

ETA: Aww. that's pretty week. It's the one at the bottom labeled "No."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Left

Quote from: Waffleman on July 30, 2013, 10:20:21 PM
http://copselfies.tumblr.com/

Yup.  I like the contrast in stance of the guy who puts on his "rent-a-cop swag"  He sort of stands more aggressively?

...I think the people I work for were once owned by Garda.
...I still have a patent leather Sam Browne belt left overs from a uniform change...I need to punch more holes in it to wear it now, though.

I really should do that, actually...with a few other alterations, I think I can re-purpose it for pervier things. :p
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Junkenstein

I like this quote:
Quote"Let us be plain: Cops are comic objects. And not just in film, not just in comedies. They are comic objects, period." - Evan Calder Williams
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Nephew Twiddleton

How did you manage to link the image?

Left

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 30, 2013, 11:14:45 PM
I like this quote:
Quote"Let us be plain: Cops are comic objects. And not just in film, not just in comedies. They are comic objects, period." - Evan Calder Williams

There is that.  The ones that can laugh at themselves are usually not assholes, or, well, at least as much of them....
Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on July 30, 2013, 11:24:49 PM
How did you manage to link the image?

Copy image location, then paste into link thingee... *scratches head*
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Doktor Howl

They have to do selfies, here.  The force is at 30% strength.

They're actually deputizing U of A cops, just to put meat in cruisers.
Molon Lube

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Today, that tumblr posted this:
As this week-long tumblr experiment has proven, cops can look and act just like real people. This act of mimesis allows them to walk among us, to live in human spaces, and do amazing human tricks like speak or take selfies.

But, do not be fooled. Cops are not people. Cops are objects of force to guard capital.

Sure, selfies lend a humanizing lens to cops, but anything requiring an external humanizing effort is not organically human. Is a motorcycle-riding circus bear a human? Is a dog walking on two legs and wearing sunglasses a human? What about a waterskiing squirrel?
Selfies are the affectation of social commodity wherein commodity mirrors the social character of the product of labor, in this case, the self. The triumvirate present in a cop selfie fleshes out the assumed police authority in just a quick snap. Considering that all value is created by labor and labor creates a product, the value of police labor is derived through utilizing the police uniform (badge, gun, baton, pepper spray, handcuffs, patrol car, sirens, apprehension; or the tools of production), thus the uniform is the commodity as it mirrors the social character of the product of police labor—suppressing the agency of the majority working class by imposing the will of a minor ruling class. Authority too, is expressed through compliant and submissive recognition of the uniform and the qualities of apprehensive violence imbued to its host. This is the fetishism of commodities. Cop Selfies are illegitimate selfies complicit in the fetishism of violence by the guards of capitalism, maintained by the State with illegitimate authority.

What then is the subject in a cop selfie, the commodity form or the corporeal extension of a cop? Trick question, cops cannot be subjects, as expounded by Evan Calder Williams in Objects of Derision. Cops are active hostile objects used to protect capital, first and foremost. If you're still unsure of this, try challenging a capitalist notion and you'll be met by a cop.

Smash the police state, smash the cop selfie.

This bothers me for obvious reasons (in addition to being cop-block style bullshit).

Cops are indeed people, despite acting as tools of the state. I mean, McDonalds employees are people despite acting as tools of the McDonalds fast-food empire for eight dollars an hour, right? This kind of shit confuses the idea of a cop (which is to say the idea of the class of police officers, which platonically speaking are tools of the state) with actual examples of police officers (who may or may not agree with all of what they are doing, may or may not actually perform the duties assigned to them to various extents, may be selective in enforcement for both just and unjust reasons, and have a wide variety of motivations for putting on the persona of 'cop').

Without the manifesto, the blog was amusing and subtly subversive. With it, it's just kind of lame.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

QuoteIf you're still unsure of this, try challenging a capitalist notion and you'll be met by a cop.

Uh, yeah.  All those college professors, reading Marx and such.  Totally harassed by cops, all the time.

Yeah, that manifesto is pretty lame.  It lacks any form of nuance or advanced critique...it's vulgar anticapitalism for morons.  Which, actually, makes it pretty ideal for tumblr.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Tumblr actually has some intelligent commentary, occasionally. It's too bad that so much of it is drowned out by adolescents who just heard about marxism and 4th wave masculism and want to prove how vegan they are.

(Speaking of tumblr, I have a browser extension that switches the genders on everything I read. I've been keeping it on all the time, and it makes certain things unintentionally hilarious -- which isn't its purpose, of course. It succeeds in its purpose by demonstrating how infrequently it is that I can't tell that it's on. Also, it has the amazingly tumblrish name "Jailbreak the Patriarchy")

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Oh yeah, there are a few good sites out there.  It's just, well, the ones which are not...

SexyFish

<3

Nephew Twiddleton

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Polyethyline Glycol on August 05, 2013, 10:04:36 PM
Today, that tumblr posted this:
As this week-long tumblr experiment has proven, cops can look and act just like real people. This act of mimesis allows them to walk among us, to live in human spaces, and do amazing human tricks like speak or take selfies.

But, do not be fooled. Cops are not people. Cops are objects of force to guard capital.

Sure, selfies lend a humanizing lens to cops, but anything requiring an external humanizing effort is not organically human. Is a motorcycle-riding circus bear a human? Is a dog walking on two legs and wearing sunglasses a human? What about a waterskiing squirrel?
Selfies are the affectation of social commodity wherein commodity mirrors the social character of the product of labor, in this case, the self. The triumvirate present in a cop selfie fleshes out the assumed police authority in just a quick snap. Considering that all value is created by labor and labor creates a product, the value of police labor is derived through utilizing the police uniform (badge, gun, baton, pepper spray, handcuffs, patrol car, sirens, apprehension; or the tools of production), thus the uniform is the commodity as it mirrors the social character of the product of police labor—suppressing the agency of the majority working class by imposing the will of a minor ruling class. Authority too, is expressed through compliant and submissive recognition of the uniform and the qualities of apprehensive violence imbued to its host. This is the fetishism of commodities. Cop Selfies are illegitimate selfies complicit in the fetishism of violence by the guards of capitalism, maintained by the State with illegitimate authority.

What then is the subject in a cop selfie, the commodity form or the corporeal extension of a cop? Trick question, cops cannot be subjects, as expounded by Evan Calder Williams in Objects of Derision. Cops are active hostile objects used to protect capital, first and foremost. If you're still unsure of this, try challenging a capitalist notion and you'll be met by a cop.

Smash the police state, smash the cop selfie.

This bothers me for obvious reasons (in addition to being cop-block style bullshit).

Cops are indeed people, despite acting as tools of the state. I mean, McDonalds employees are people despite acting as tools of the McDonalds fast-food empire for eight dollars an hour, right? This kind of shit confuses the idea of a cop (which is to say the idea of the class of police officers, which platonically speaking are tools of the state) with actual examples of police officers (who may or may not agree with all of what they are doing, may or may not actually perform the duties assigned to them to various extents, may be selective in enforcement for both just and unjust reasons, and have a wide variety of motivations for putting on the persona of 'cop').

Without the manifesto, the blog was amusing and subtly subversive. With it, it's just kind of lame.

Good points.

People convince themselves that they "are" their uniforms, but we're also apt to convince ourselves that anyone who wears a particular uniform "is" the uniform in a similar way.

I find myself instinctually doing so every day and having to continually unravel people's humanity from the labels my brain cloaks them in.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

tarod

Quote from: Polyethyline Glycol on August 05, 2013, 10:40:33 PM
Tumblr actually has some intelligent commentary, occasionally. It's too bad that so much of it is drowned out by adolescents who just heard about marxism and 4th wave feminism and want to prove how vegan they are.

(Speaking of tumblr, I have a browser extension that switches the genders on everything I read. I've been keeping it on all the time, and it makes certain things unintentionally hilarious -- which isn't its purpose, of course. It succeeds in its purpose by demonstrating how infrequently it is that I can't tell that it's on. Also, it has the amazingly tumblrish name "Jailbreak the Matriarchy")

Totally going to try out that plugin with the news.