News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

BRONYCON!

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 02, 2013, 08:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/bs-ae-brony-culture-20130730,0,4181814.story

Quote"My Little Pony" is no pop culture newcomer. It began as a television series in 1983 to help sell My Pretty Pony Hasbro toys to young girls. An animated film followed, along with several generations of the show. "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is the latest — and the first to draw the attention of both girls and grown men. Launched in 2010 on cable's Hub Network, it is now the network's top series for girls ages 2-11, households and men ages 18-34, according to network publicist Dupe Bosu. The show centers on six magical ponies, who battle evil.

Donnie Weiss, an 18-year-old who lives in Rockville and plans to attend BronyCon this weekend, likes brony culture because it defies expectations.

"The whole idea of going against the social norm is kind of exciting for us," he said. "We found that by supporting each other and not letting anyone put us down for liking the show, it's kind of rallied us together."

Many bronies say their obsession centers on the show's cast of well-rounded, relatable characters. Weiss said he's most like Fluttershy, as they are "both kind of socially awkward but we both like to muster the courage to speak out when we need to." And Max Stahman, a first-year graduate student at the University of Maryland, is drawn to Rarity, a pony who is "somewhat snobbish and can rub people the wrong way, but ultimately has the best intentions and is a nice person."

That is all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Normally, I am tolerant of subcultures that do not harm anyone.

But this sets my rage glands off, for reasons I do not understand.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I think it's the undercurrent of Michael Jackson that pervades the whole thing.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Fuck Burning Man, BronyCon is all the mindfuck culture shock experience I need!

Cainad,
Packing a horse head mask, unicorn horn, and fairy wings. FRIENDSHIP IS WITCHCRAFT, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 08:13:23 PM

Except Bronies seem to mostly hang out with each other, not with kids. They seem to get their kicks by sharing a weird fascination amongst other young adults (notice how the media always focuses on the male fans; no one cares if a young woman is interested in a girl's tv show).

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad on August 02, 2013, 08:21:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 08:13:23 PM

Except Bronies seem to mostly hang out with each other, not with kids. They seem to get their kicks by sharing a weird fascination amongst other young adults (notice how the media always focuses on the male fans; no one cares if a young woman is interested in a girl's tv show).

I was just visualizing a bronycon, and I'll have to get back to you on this, because my mind is consumed by horror.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wonder if there are any Juggalo Bronies?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 08:24:49 PM

I don't think so.  That would be like cheating on ICP.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 08:24:49 PM

Maybe not, but sweet buttery Jesus I hope there are! :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't stop thinking about it. Juggabronies.

Ben Shapiro

Magic The Gathering World Championship Series with more glitter, and rainbows.

Ben Shapiro

I'm leaving this here:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 08:29:58 PM

If it doesn't exist yet, it may end up being your torch to bear.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on August 02, 2013, 08:36:36 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on August 02, 2013, 08:29:58 PM

If it doesn't exist yet, it may end up being your torch to bear.

I HAVE A DREAM...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel