Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 08, 2013, 03:15:55 AM
Okay, here goes

Whether or not Miley Cyrus's music is, artistically, worth a god damn is not the point. It's so far beside the point that they have different zip codes.

The fact that people got mad is not, in itself, really the point either. Our popular culture is addicted to getting mad about bullshit.

It's the fact she, rather than using her young starlet body and fame to be "naughty" and "scandalous" in order to fill the niche that was prescribed for her (and that many people are desperately trying to insist that she's still subject to), instead took control over her own project. She created a hideous mockery of the very thing she was supposed to be, and shoved it in our faces while screaming, "ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU LIKE?"

for that segment of the population that can't wrap their heads around women's sexuality, especially when it hasn't been shaved and primped for public consumption, Miley Cyrus basically held up a mirror and forced the world to see its own sweaty, flabby, flesh furiously masturbating

and she didn't do it through music

she did it through spectacle. Ugly, horrible, corporate-backed, soulless spectacle.

and so far, she's still refusing to have her scheduled horrible public meltdown, which is the last resort of everyone who NEEDS her to fit in the memetic mold that's been created for pop starlets, although they don't know why they NEED it so badly

Does this make her, the person, worthy of reverence as an artist, or as a troll? I dunno. But the thing itself is interesting in its own right, and worth examining.

I'd say you are on the money.  SO on the money that we can expect a NOPE cat very shortly.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:44:33 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:40:29 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:34:14 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:32:55 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 12:28:19 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 12:10:20 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 11:43:58 PM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 07, 2013, 08:47:44 PMhow she completely encapsulates everything that is so garishly fucked up with mainstream pop culture.

OH MY GOD, YOU FINALLY GET IT!

So you are worshipping her for being the top of the shit pile

Wow, now I know what your opinion of artists is.

I have a very high opinion of artists.  I have a very low opinion of pre-packaged crap.

In other words, only stuff that's way too underground for the likes of us counts as art.  :lulz:

No, stuff that isn't crapped out by the industry assembly line counts as art.

I see. 

Do you wear a sweatervest, by any chance?

No, still rocking the flannel like it's 1992.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:45:44 AM
Anyone ever notice that RWHN never has anything nice to say about any woman?  ALL of his music pics, etc, are male, and he has nothing nice to say or even allow when it comes to female artists.

Anneke van Giersbergen is very female.  And can sing circles around just about any other female vocalist.

Also Lee Douglas.

to name just a couple.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 03:19:56 AM
Okay, here goes

Whether or not Miley Cyrus's music is, artistically, worth a god damn is not the point. It's so far beside the point that they have different zip codes.

The fact that people got mad is not, in itself, really the point either. Our popular culture is addicted to getting mad about bullshit.

It's the fact she, rather than using her young starlet body and fame to be "naughty" and "scandalous" in order to fill the niche that was prescribed for her (and that many people are desperately trying to insist that she's still subject to), instead took control over her own project. She created a hideous mockery of the very thing she was supposed to be, and shoved it in our faces while screaming, "ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU LIKE?"

for that segment of the population that can't wrap their heads around women's sexuality, especially when it hasn't been shaved and primped for public consumption, Miley Cyrus basically held up a mirror and forced the world to see its own sweaty, flabby, flesh furiously masturbating

she did it through spectacle. Ugly, horrible, corporate-backed, soulless spectacle.

and so far, she's still refusing to have her scheduled horrible public meltdown, which is the last resort of everyone who NEEDS her to fit in the memetic mold that's been created for pop starlets, although they don't know why they NEED it so badly

Does this make her, the person, worthy of reverence as an artist, or as a troll? I dunno. But the thing itself is interesting in its own right, and worth examining.

I'd say you are on the money.  SO on the money that we can expect a NOPE cat very shortly.

exactly why I was reluctant to post it

I feel like we've tread that exact ground no fewer than 5 times. I'm getting dizzy from the circles.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 03:27:07 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:44:33 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:40:29 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:34:14 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:32:55 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 12:28:19 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 12:10:20 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 07, 2013, 08:47:44 PMhow she completely encapsulates everything that is so garishly fucked up with mainstream pop culture.

So you are worshipping her for being the top of the shit pile

Wow, now I know what your opinion of artists is.

I have a very high opinion of artists.  I have a very low opinion of pre-packaged crap.

In other words, only stuff that's way too underground for the likes of us counts as art.  :lulz:

No, stuff that isn't crapped out by the industry assembly line counts as art.

I see. 

Do you wear a sweatervest, by any chance?

No, still rocking the flannel like it's 1992.

That's kinda sad. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

The Good Reverend Roger

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 02:33:32 AM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:30:52 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:25:55 AM.  But every decade or so, someone comes along and shoots the kneecap off the current musical scene.  They have to; if they didn't, the whole damn thing would go sterile. 

Of course, it's usually several people.  In this case, it was about 3 people.  Rhiana, Lady Gaga, and now this kid.  The whole twerk-pop no-effort bullshit scene is now as dead as jazz, and it's long past time.

This is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. 

Granted, I'm also in the minority opinion, (on this board), that Lady Gaga is extremely overrated.  I mean, she's basically a living mash-up of Madonna and Marilyn Manson.  I'll give her that she has a decent voice.  Same with Rihanna, who is easily the most talented of the three, but none of them were groundbreaking. 

The music industry has long been deperately looking for another big Nirvana-like, sweeping cultural moment.  Hasn't happened and probably won't ever happen again, not on THAT scale.

It's way too watered down now.  Great music is still being made, to be sure, but not in that big landmark kind of way.

Nirvana was great music?  :lol:

Well, because they happened along when he was young, and are therefore better. Because now he is old, and things that young people are doing now are no good and not music, or creative.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Okay, here goes

BINGO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 08, 2013, 02:39:21 AM

Optimism strikes again. Called it too early.

You're right. Overly optimistic, as always. :(

Don Coyote

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:25:55 AM.  But every decade or so, someone comes along and shoots the kneecap off the current musical scene.  They have to; if they didn't, the whole damn thing would go sterile. 

Of course, it's usually several people.  In this case, it was about 3 people.  Rhiana, Lady Gaga, and now this kid.  The whole twerk-pop no-effort bullshit scene is now as dead as jazz, and it's long past time.

Granted, I'm also in the minority opinion, (on this board), that Lady Gaga is extremely overrated.  I mean, she's basically a living mash-up of Madonna and Marilyn Manson.  I'll give her that she has a decent voice.  Same with Rihanna, who is easily the most talented of the three, but none of them were groundbreaking. 

The music industry has long been deperately looking for another big Nirvana-like, sweeping cultural moment.  Hasn't happened and probably won't ever happen again, not on THAT scale.

It's way too watered down now.  Great music is still being made, to be sure, but not in that big landmark kind of way.

Well, because they happened along when he was young, and are therefore better. Because now he is old, and things that young people are doing now are no good and not music, or creative.

So like people who claim Pearl Jam is good and/or music?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 08, 2013, 07:10:11 AM
Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 06:44:54 AM

So like people who claim Pearl Jam is good and/or music?

It might be, for them.

But that allows for the idea of differing valid viewpoints.