News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

KAI, I NEED HELP!

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 05, 2013, 05:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am about to start the general biology series (FINALLY! It's been hilarious being a "biology major" who hasn't taken any biology :lol:) and I am wondering if I should buy all the companion books:

It is about $90 of optional books, and I figured you would know whether it's worth it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

When I saw the first line I thought, there's /one/ book that should be mandatory for every biologist to own. And sure enough, it's the last one. Get the root words dictionary. I still have mine, still use it. If you're a biologist and don't know Latin or Greek, this is the next best thing. It's cheap too, a thin little volume.

The rest of them I don't know. The first one might be worth a perusal. I'd say check it out of the library and see if it's worth it first. The photographic atlas is going to be one half pictures of whole organisms, one half dissections. You can find a great deal of this stuff online with a simple Google Image search, so I'm not sure it's necessary. I kind of /want/ that biology coloring book, but if you're buying the photographic atlas already then I'm not sure why you would need it.

Summary: Get the root words dictionary. Check out the Scientific English book and see if you want it. The other two all depend on how much you need supplementary pictures and illustrations to figure things out.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on September 05, 2013, 05:59:53 PM
When I saw the first line I thought, there's /one/ book that should be mandatory for every biologist to own. And sure enough, it's the last one. Get the root words dictionary. I still have mine, still use it. If you're a biologist and don't know Latin or Greek, this is the next best thing. It's cheap too, a thin little volume.

The rest of them I don't know. The first one might be worth a perusal. I'd say check it out of the library and see if it's worth it first. The photographic atlas is going to be one half pictures of whole organisms, one half dissections. You can find a great deal of this stuff online with a simple Google Image search, so I'm not sure it's necessary. I kind of /want/ that biology coloring book, but if you're buying the photographic atlas already then I'm not sure why you would need it.

Summary: Get the root words dictionary. Check out the Scientific English book and see if you want it. The other two all depend on how much you need supplementary pictures and illustrations to figure things out.

Awesome, thank you! I knew you would steer me right.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Forsooth

the atlas thing was only really useful during actual dissections; two of my lab instructors specifically said to not buy it since the had one that stayed in the lab

the rootwords one will be good if you aren't fluent in Latin roots for english

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Jez

The root words dictionary looks delicious.  I love words.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nephew Twiddleton

How Latin is is compared to Greek?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Quote from: Twigel on September 06, 2013, 08:30:14 AM

I don't know what you're asking. Latin and Greek have been the standard languages of knowledge for thousands of years, so many things in biology have been named with them. If you have a term, you can often break down it's meaning by finding the Latin or Greek root words. I wouldn't, for example, know that the genus name Cheumatopsyche means "pouring-water butterfly" without that book. Cheumos and psyche.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2013, 12:37:06 PM

I don't know what you're asking. Latin and Greek have been the standard languages of knowledge for thousands of years, so many things in biology have been named with them. If you have a term, you can often break down it's meaning by finding the Latin or Greek root words. I wouldn't, for example, know that the genus name Cheumatopsyche means "pouring-water butterfly" without that book. Cheumos and psyche.

Percentages, like. But that Cheumatospsyche example made me think, doesn't matter, because that's a crazy ass word.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Quote from: Twigel on September 06, 2013, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2013, 12:37:06 PM

Percentages, like. But that Cheumatospsyche example made me think, doesn't matter, because that's a crazy ass word.

Latin is very different than Greek. But it's not the syntax that's important, it's the vocabulary. The language of Biology is largely composed of loan words in different combinations, most of those from Latin and Greek. Like you said, it doesn't matter, because it's not Greek or Latin, it's Biology.