News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

I'm kinda digging that my hip and progressive FB friends are going with the "mainstream" view that Miley has no agency.

Sadly, I'm still a bit uncomfortable about calling them on it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 05:55:23 PM
I'm kinda digging that my hip and progressive FB friends are going with the "mainstream" view that Miley has no agency.

Why?  I'd be dragging them around by the heels all fucking night.

"You know, Roger, it's really hard to like you sometimes."
- Trevor, back in Illinois, 2004.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

To imply that she has no agency by virtue of her celebrity is to imply that Einstien didn't have any, either.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I don't have enough Tucson spores yet.

Also, complication: although I can't verify, it seems Miley responded to Sinead by screencapping the latter's biopolar breakdown on Twitter and retweeting it, comparing her to Amanda Bynes (a teen actress who is currently getting treatment for a whole boatload of mental stuff).

(potentially) Dick move, Miley.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 06:03:51 PM
I don't have enough Tucson spores yet.

Also, complication: although I can't verify, it seems Miley responded to Sinead by screencapping the latter's biopolar breakdown on Twitter and retweeting it, comparing her to Amanda Bynes (a teen actress who is currently getting treatment for a whole boatload of mental stuff).

(potentially) Dick move, Miley.

Agency doesn't preclude dickishness.

LMNO

Yes, but it does indicate a check mark in the "not a clever troll exposing the creepy entertainment System but just another self-important rich girl appropriating better ideas" column.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 06:08:53 PM
Yes, but it does indicate a check mark in the "not a clever troll exposing the creepy entertainment System but just another self-important rich girl appropriating better ideas" column.

I don't see how that follows.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 05:55:23 PM

A lot of people think the left doesn't contain conservatism.  It does.  Oh, it does.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I look at her behavior, and ask which is more probable. Later priors (in the Bayesian sense) include her giving a sly wink with the "I win" quote, and the struggle it took her to make the video, which increases the probability of "clever troll". Other priors, such as mocking Sinead's mental illness as a petty jab increase the probability of "entitled narcissist".

Just the way I think these days, I guess.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 03, 2013, 04:31:26 PM
It's worth asking --- is Miley "setting a good example for other girls"?

She may be owning her own fame, and I doubt she's suffering personally from objectifying & marketing herself

there is a larger discussion about sexuality in culture - cosmo magazine, the red carpet, the problem that few women become famous without being "hot" -- some women may be empowered by the commercial value of hot teen sexuality, others are made uncomfortable in their own skin.

I'm not sure that pop stars actually have any responsibility to be good role models. I'm not a parent, so this is unfamiliar territory to me -- how do you explain the transition from hannah montana to dammmmmn girl to a young teenager who is still figuring out sexuality? Would love to hear some parents opinions.

My cousin is like 14 years old, and I think her room is decorated floor to ceiling in hannah montana merch. I wonder how her mom is helping her navigate between scylla and charybdis.

My 15-year-old says "Teenagers are going through the exact same transition, so they don't need to have it explained. You don't have to explain something to someone when they are going through it and know what it's like".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on October 03, 2013, 04:31:26 PM
It's worth asking --- is Miley "setting a good example for other girls"?

It's also worth asking "Should a person SHUT UP for the sake of that example?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 04:23:33 PM
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but did Sinead just try to slut-shame Miley?

Yes. She basically used a lot of words to say "cover yourself child, for shame".

Because, you see, women's sexuality is about men. Right?

I don't think many people can think past that point, yet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 03, 2013, 06:23:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 04:23:33 PM
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but did Sinead just try to slut-shame Miley?

Yes. She basically used a lot of words to say "cover yourself child, for shame".

Because, you see, women's sexuality is about men. Right?

I don't think many people can think past that point, yet.

Yeah, I caught that right away.  Which means this place has had SOME influence on me.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2013, 06:15:16 PM
I look at her behavior, and ask which is more probable. Later priors (in the Bayesian sense) include her giving a sly wink with the "I win" quote, and the struggle it took her to make the video, which increases the probability of "clever troll". Other priors, such as mocking Sinead's mental illness as a petty jab increase the probability of "entitled narcissist".

Just the way I think these days, I guess.

Those probabilities are not independent, though. There is such a thing as a narcissistic clever troll, or even an entitled narcissistic clever troll.