Objectivists Asking For $

Started by hooplala, November 28, 2013, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically, he says a bunch of things that sound reasonable on the face of it, but if you take them apart and really examine them critically, they're awful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 08:39:51 PM
Basically, he says a bunch of things that sound reasonable on the face of it, but if you take them apart and really examine them critically, they're awful.

I guess it's easy to think that way if you're rich.   :|
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 09:17:18 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 08:39:51 PM

Yeah, I think it's easy to get into a mode of being so insulated from the difficult choices people make day to day when they're trying to survive that you simply lose all connection to that perspective.

When I was a kid, I really liked Penn & Teller. Honestly, at this point I have no idea whether it's that Penn has changed, or whether I have.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 09:47:11 PM

Yeah, I think it's easy to get into a mode of being so insulated from the difficult choices people make day to day when they're trying to survive that you simply lose all connection to that perspective.

When I was a kid, I really liked Penn & Teller. Honestly, at this point I have no idea whether it's that Penn has changed, or whether I have.

I think they talk more about their beliefs than they used to.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 09:48:39 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 09:47:11 PM

One of the things that drives me batty is that for all of his vaunted intellectual superiority, Penn seems unwilling to delve any deeper into analyzing or challenging his own beliefs. It's like he came up with a set of arguments and a rationale at some point maybe 30 years back, and it has ossified into a codified set of arguments which he can simply parrot at people when they ask him to talk about it.

hooplala

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 09:57:19 PM

One of the things that drives me batty is that for all of his vaunted intellectual superiority, Penn seems unwilling to delve any deeper into analyzing or challenging his own beliefs. It's like he came up with a set of arguments and a rationale at some point maybe 30 years back, and it has ossified into a codified set of arguments which he can simply parrot at people when they ask him to talk about it.

It seems to be a key feature of people who self identify as "skeptics", which is amusing.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 09:59:37 PM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 09:57:19 PM

It seems to be a key feature of people who self identify as "skeptics", which is amusing.

Isn't it though?? I actually felt like I had beaten a level when I realized that.

Telarus

Quote from: Rex Bologna on November 29, 2013, 09:59:37 PM

Yah, that accurately describes the feeling I get from his later stuff.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 07:46:26 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 28, 2013, 12:49:51 AM
Quote from: Telarus on November 28, 2013, 12:09:36 AM
I think Penn is more attached to the term Objectivist than to following what Rand taught as "Objectivism".....I picked that up watching the Bullsh!t series.

To riff of this point, from some interviews (maybe it was just one interview) he talked about the philosophy and the impression that I got was more about his liking the ideas and playing with them but not necessarily getting wrapped up in it.  He seems to take the same approach to his libratarian views as well. 

In short, he seems more about being intelligent first and mainlining an ideology second.  I think the interview is on YT and i'd look for it but i'm about to go to the store...and--being the night before turkey day--who knows when i'll get back.

The impression I get is that it's mostly about him being smarter and therefore better than everyone else, and also about making fun of the stupid unwashed masses.

That's just his schtick afaik...I honestly don't remember him being all that different, tbh.  I don't take him seriously and so I haven't really arsed to investigate further.  I've read both of his books.  They're autobiographical and rather enjoyable.

Maybe, for me, "pompous asshole" is easy to digest and wouldn't discount his validity based on a personality quirk.  Some of my friends have been pompous assholes and I love them all the same :P

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 30, 2013, 02:14:58 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 29, 2013, 07:46:26 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 28, 2013, 12:49:51 AM
Quote from: Telarus on November 28, 2013, 12:09:36 AM
I think Penn is more attached to the term Objectivist than to following what Rand taught as "Objectivism".....I picked that up watching the Bullsh!t series.

To riff of this point, from some interviews (maybe it was just one interview) he talked about the philosophy and the impression that I got was more about his liking the ideas and playing with them but not necessarily getting wrapped up in it.  He seems to take the same approach to his libratarian views as well. 

In short, he seems more about being intelligent first and mainlining an ideology second.  I think the interview is on YT and i'd look for it but i'm about to go to the store...and--being the night before turkey day--who knows when i'll get back.

The impression I get is that it's mostly about him being smarter and therefore better than everyone else, and also about making fun of the stupid unwashed masses.

That's just his schtick afaik...I honestly don't remember him being all that different, tbh.  I don't take him seriously and so I haven't really arsed to investigate further.  I've read both of his books.  They're autobiographical and rather enjoyable.

Maybe, for me, "pompous asshole" is easy to digest and wouldn't discount his validity based on a personality quirk.  Some of my friends have been pompous assholes and I love them all the same :P

I find him unlikable because of his personality, whether it's real or not. But that doesn't matter because I don't have to spend time with him. What matters more to me is that his ideology is dreck.

Ben Shapiro

I did not know about her denying the science about smoking.

Seems pretty legit.
Also Ayn Rand requires me to not fuck my wife in public. So now she can eat a bag of dicks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0CyunRUJmc

hooplala

Quote from: Officer What's His /b/ear on December 02, 2013, 07:17:15 AM

Seems pretty legit.
Also Ayn Rand requires me to not fuck my wife in public. So now she can eat a bag of dicks.

Where did Ayn say you couldn't fuck your wife in public?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 30, 2013, 02:25:07 AM
I find him unlikable because of his personality, whether it's real or not. But that doesn't matter because I don't have to spend time with him. What matters more to me is that his ideology is dreck.

Ideology is always dreck.  Keep your ethics and principles in line, you don't NEED someone else's...Which, after all, is what an ideology IS; someone ELSE'S beliefs.

The entire 20th century was nothing but a gigantic demonstration of how loveable and fun it is to have everyone in any given nation listening to the loudest asshat in that nation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Rex Bologna on December 02, 2013, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Officer What's His /b/ear on December 02, 2013, 07:17:15 AM

Seems pretty legit.

Where did Ayn say you couldn't fuck your wife in public?

Whenever she forces me to rethink me having a good time.