News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Open Bar: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, December 02, 2013, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Looks like the gas and coke building is slated for demolition. :(

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Professional aside, looks like a nice bit of work. Somewhat surprised it's not being refurbed into housing, structure seems sound enough. Industrial area?

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 17, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
Professional aside, looks like a nice bit of work. Somewhat surprised it's not being refurbed into housing, structure seems sound enough. Industrial area?
They refurbish old buildings for housing there??? Here, in one the most crowded countries in the world we have a constant of 10-15% empty officebuildings here and a pressing shortage of affordable lvingspace.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

I don't know about America, but it's practically a business model of its own in the UK.  We're not quite as densely populated as you guys, but zoning laws certainly affect the available housing land, putting prices at a significant premium and making new construction sites difficult ventures.

Junkenstein

Quote from: :regret: on December 17, 2013, 09:08:19 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on December 17, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
They refurbish old buildings for housing there??? Here, in one the most crowded countries in the world we have a constant of 10-15% empty officebuildings here and a pressing shortage of affordable lvingspace.

Yes indeed. The most obvious example I can think of would be London's Docklands. Previously industrial area now home to some very expensive flats and such. That said, pretty much every city I can think of has had something similar done to it as well, scale varies.

This isn't done as much to provide affordable living space (some of these places are stupidly expensive) as to make serious cash. Affordable housing requirements (Section 106 for you cool kids) are usually bypassed by payment direct to local authorities making sure no nurses or teachers shit up the area.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

I am horribly, horribly sick with the head/cold/chest thing that I thought I dodged.  I had trouble driving into work.

But I DID come into work.  I wish to share, because it's the season of giving. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Please be careful around the heavy machinery.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 02:09:57 PM
Please be careful around the heavy machinery.

Won't be going near it.  Too dizzy.

So I will be attending every meeting on the dockett.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 17, 2013, 02:16:30 PM

I am Typhoid Mary.  I am the Masque of the Red Death.

I am due in a crowded staff meeting in 13 minutes.  I have made sure not to run into my boss ahead of that, so he can't stop this.

Suu

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 08:04:19 AM
Looks like the gas and coke building is slated for demolition. :(

Boo! What a gorgeous building!

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

I have a customer who owes me $275 for this work I completed for him. Last week, he said he'd pay as soon as he saw pictures. Fair enough, I get it. Sent pictures...haven't heard anything since. This is after I told him I was leaving on the 18th for Florida, and I would not be schlepping a silk and linen set 1300 miles to ship so he could get it in time for Christmas. I hate people.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

I am due in a crowded staff meeting in 13 minutes.  I have made sure not to run into my boss ahead of that, so he can't stop this.

Greet as MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE with a friendly hug. Insist on group photos.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 17, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

Greet as MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE with a friendly hug. Insist on group photos.

No, they pissed me off, so I resorted to froth and spittle.  They'll all be wrecks by this time Friday.