News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Relax Kiddies, Santa Is White. And, So Was Jesus

Started by hooplala, December 12, 2013, 08:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 13, 2013, 03:34:42 AM
Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 13, 2013, 03:33:39 AM
My Heathen friend says that the Odin connection is legit, not in the sense that Santa Claus "is" Odin as you would see in a syncretic religion, but in that as the Santa Claus/St. Nicholas folklore has evolved it has absorbed a number of characteristics from Odin folklore.

I had heard that the legend descended from a robber of some kind.

But I was told this by Canadians, so it's almost certainly some kind of communist propaganda.

:lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 13, 2013, 03:14:53 AM
I don't think, as many years as I've spent around Pagans, I've ever heard the claim that Santa is Odin before. Is this a new Pagan invention?

No, unfortunately.

Quote from: Suu on December 13, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
I like the new one going around that says Yule is a Norse fertility god.

:?

Wat.

Yeah, and Imbolg is some sort of Celtic fertility god.

Paganism,
All about the sex

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 13, 2013, 03:33:39 AM
My Heathen friend says that the Odin connection is legit, not in the sense that Santa Claus "is" Odin as you would see in a syncretic religion, but in that as the Santa Claus/St. Nicholas folklore has evolved it has absorbed a number of characteristics from Odin folklore.

That may well be true to a degree. I suspect that Neopagans are responsible for a good percentage of said absorption too.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, any absorption that Santa has done to Odin have been passing glances. Odin was a fucking bastard who's sole purpose was to stave off Ragnarok as long as possible. He's like an Anti-Jesus. Saw the End of the World and went, nope, going to stop that by any means necessary as long as I can.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Reginald Ret

I've always liked Odin's interactions with Loki. Especially how you can see Loki try to be good but getting distracted and failing gloriously.
"Gonna be good, gotta be good, gonna be good, ooohshiny! Whose sword is this? I like it so it is probably mine. Why would i like a sword that isn't mine? no reason ergo it is mine. SHINY RED BUTTON LABELLED RAGNAROK! i wonder what pushing that does?
Loki really is the mentally deficient ADD little brother that you can't stay angry with because he honestly doesn't understand he is doing something wrong.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Yeah, that was my understanding too.  Odin led the Wild Hunt in the sky at Yuletime...elements of which influenced the idea of Santa flying through the sky at Christmas, and may have influenced his appearance too (one of Odin's names being "longbeard", for example).  These elements were incorporated into the Sinterklass tradition, which is probably the main precursor to Santa Claus.

However, Santa Claus is not Odin.  He is clearly Turkish.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2013, 09:27:03 AM

Yeah, that was my understanding too.  Odin led the Wild Hunt in the sky at Yuletime...elements of which influenced the idea of Santa flying through the sky at Christmas, and may have influenced his appearance too (one of Odin's names being "longbeard", for example).  These elements were incorporated into the Sinterklass tradition, which is probably the main precursor to Santa Claus.

However, Santa Claus is not Odin.  He is clearly Turkish.

So, probably not much whiter than Jesus.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

As I recall, St. Nicholas was at the Council of Nicaea, so you may as well blame him for Christmas being December 25th.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

She apparently didn't show up to work last night.

hooplala

Quote from: Suu on December 13, 2013, 05:18:58 PM

Santa: he knows when you've been naughty.

Nuff said.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2013, 05:37:19 PM

Nuff said.

Allow me to introduce you to my imagination:

I see a black Santa in fetish wear cackling madly as his elves tie Megyn Kelly up to be whipped.

That is all.

Cain

hooplala

Quote from: Suu on December 13, 2013, 05:44:40 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2013, 05:37:19 PM

Nuff said.

Allow me to introduce you to my imagination:

I see a black Santa in fetish wear cackling madly as his elves tie Megyn Kelly up to be whipped.

That is all.

I like your imagination.  A lot.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman