News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Alabama outdoes even Arizona. Holy shit.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 30, 2014, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

If you're having a miscarriage, the hospitals "will not have to participate in an activity that ends your pregnancy".

https://www.aclu.org/blog/reproductive-freedom-womens-rights/alabama-hospitals-pregnant-women-sorry-honey-we-wont-help

No shit.

QuoteAll miscarriages can be devastating. But, for women in Alabama, this nightmare could soon get a lot worse. This week, the Alabama Senate is set to consider a cruel bill (HB 31) that would permit the hospital staff, including any doctor, nurse, counselor, or lab technician, to refuse to participate in any phase of patient medical care related to ending a pregnancy, even if that is what a patient like this woman needs to protect her own health and future fertility

But wait!  Couldn't a doctor or hospital get sued?

QuoteThe bill would also protect health care professionals from liability for refusing to provide necessary medical care. What's more, the bill would exempt the hospital from liability under Alabama law. This means that even if the hospitals know that the on-duty doctor won't provide appropriate medical care, Alabama law says that in most cases they have no obligation to find someone who will.

Bolding mine.

The original bill is here:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/searchableinstruments/2014RS/Printfiles//HB31-eng.pdf

Oh, and the representatives that wrote it?

Becky Nordgren

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/housebios/hd029.html

April Weaver

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/representatives/housebios/hd049.html

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Because how DARE a woman's body reject a fetus for a multitude of reasons. Auto-abortion!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on January 30, 2014, 04:50:07 PM
Because how DARE a woman's body reject a fetus for a multitude of reasons. Auto-abortion!

The bill was written by two women that are of age to enjoy it's "benefits".

This country is functionally insane.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 04:52:42 PM
Quote from: The Suu on January 30, 2014, 04:50:07 PM

The bill was written by two women that are of age to enjoy it's "benefits".

This country is functionally insane.

They've got political connections. If they miscarry, they'll get treated. If they want fifty abortions, they'll get them.
Laws are for everybody else.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Suu

This is the NEW America they're ushering in.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Why should they give a fuck? They can fly anywhere they want and get whatever they need.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 30, 2014, 09:05:52 PM
Why should they give a fuck? They can fly anywhere they want and get whatever they need.

No, these are state level congressmen.  They make less than I do.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 09:11:01 PM

They just like greasing the gears of the great machine with meat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 30, 2014, 09:36:25 PM

See, this is the one option that most people won't consider.

Maybe people like this are just, you know, bad people.

Suu

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 09:37:48 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 30, 2014, 09:36:25 PM

See, this is the one option that most people won't consider.

Maybe people like this are just, you know, bad people.

Only, they don't see themselves as the villain. They see themselves as doing the right thing. The Greater GoodTM.

Penumbral

Most doctors are more rational then this bill. There is nothing stating that they can't help. I would be surprised to see a single case of someone not getting treatment for a miscarriage due to this bill, even in Alabama.

Also this bill is unlikely to pass.

Insane bills get proposed all the time. People get elected on insane platforms and they write bills that go nowhere. Not saying I have hope for the country or the legislative system but most things this horrendous that get through the state house get stopped or overturned.