PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

I got an official job offer!

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 20, 2014, 07:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 22, 2014, 12:06:33 AM
A catch called "marriage," perhaps?

Yeah, but that's not the objectionable part.

I have to be willing to live with a cat.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

I'm with Net.  Being a selfish bastard in matters of paychecks has always worked for me.

Then again, I am single.  Living in a bedsit.  On the only high part of land in this area, surrounded by floodplains.  With shitty internet.  This metaphor is getting away from me, but what I'm saying is I can afford to be selfish because my actions only really affect me.  I'd try and sell it hard to ECHGF though, in pretty much the way you put it above.

East Coast Hustle

As for the stability of it, it's been in consistent profitable operation since the early 80's. It'll be there for as long as I ever need it to be and that probably holds true for my entire life, god forbid.

It was, in fact, my very first place of employment. I bussed tables there in the summer when I was 8. So there's a very deep sense of satisfaction that comes along with being called up and asked back into the fold for more money than I've ever made in a restaurant before.

It's also the most visibly concrete way of ever potentially fully realizing my dream of being able to convert the family land into a cacao plantation when I do finally have to move home for good. Trees aren't cheap, and I'd like to not have to tie the family land up with too much outside investment.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

For what it's worth, if you made the move, I'd eat there. Mrs LMNO concurs.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds like a pretty awesome situation, totally!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

My biggest hang ups are:

The winters. That's just gonna suck, no way around it. But at least this time I'll be employed indoors so I won't freeze or go stir-crazy.

No bennies, so I'll have to buy my own health insurance. That'll run me about 3K/yr but I figure I can make up some of that by buying really cheap groceries for myself through the restaurant.

The up-front cost of the move. This is the biggie, and the whole thing may hinge on whether or not I can get him to pay for some of it. I figure I can handle the 2-3 grand it's gonna cost me to break my lease here and secure a rental out there, but I'm gonna need him to pony up for the cost of actually moving, which I calculate as being around 3 grand including the gas to drive out there. That'll pay for a U-Box for all the furniture and bigger stuff to be shipped in and a small trailer for whatever's left.

I'm definitely gonna take a bit of an up-front hit either way if I do this but if I can get him to pay for the cost of the move I should be back ahead of where I would have been by the end of the year.

Suu

You do understand that, like LMNO, I will make the drive up to see you. Providence was a bit far...but Portsmouth? I'm on the fucking state line. It'll still be a 3 hour drive for dinner, but fuck it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."