News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: 50 Shades of Chronic Liver Disease

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think there are ways to do it that would be functionally acceptable, but not the way it's run under our current system. Which I suspect is even worse here in the US.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I had my chemistry final, yay! I feel pretty decent about it. Probably an A, we'll see. It was incredibly long, and took almost three hours.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Ate something that has been trying to convince my stomach to exit via my navel since 10 am yesterday. It is now 2 am today. Work was extra exciting with this new development.

Our location doesn't make the shiny new psuedo-food the other locations make, causing uprisings and fewer tips. The computer/cash regiser is broken. The ice machine is broken. And if the nausea continues, I'm going to break the toilet.

Tee-hee!!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2014, 05:02:22 AM
I had my chemistry final, yay! I feel pretty decent about it. Probably an A, we'll see. It was incredibly long, and took almost three hours.
Nice!

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on March 20, 2014, 05:12:33 AM
Ate something that has been trying to convince my stomach to exit via my navel since 10 am yesterday. It is now 2 am today. Work was extra exciting with this new development.

Our location doesn't make the shiny new psuedo-food the other locations make, causing uprisings and fewer tips. The computer/cash regiser is broken. The ice machine is broken. And if the nausea continues, I'm going to break the toilet.

Tee-hee!!
What else can go wrong?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2014, 05:01:25 AM
I think there are ways to do it that would be functionally acceptable, but not the way it's run under our current system. Which I suspect is even worse here in the US.

In the UK, a good start would be instead of cutting benefits, assuring the workfare employees were being paid minimum wage.  Sharing the costs of employment between government and private sector, perhaps on a means-tested basis.  Trying to create paths into employment by some kind of system of checks and assessment for performance.

But our government will never do that.  It will just send people 50 miles away every day, to work 14 hour shifts in factories under the threat of having what little money they get from the government to live on taken away.  That's just how they roll.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on March 19, 2014, 08:20:43 PM
Workfare is a hell of a scam.  I'd put it up there with prison labour in terms of coercion/profits/government unwillingness to do anything about.
It kind of works here in Ireland, A lot of people get kept on and paid a reasonable wage when it ends. But by a lot I still only mean like 5 to 10% of the people on the scheme.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

That's still quite a few compared the the standard UK rate of 0%. Seriously, I'm yet to hear about anyone actually keeping a job from a workfare posting.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

In true "Suu goes away and always comes back to hell" fashion, let's just say that we're getting married tomorrow in Concord so it's expedited, and he leaves on Monday.

Leaves. On. Monday.

He was given a 6 day notice. Originally it was June.

I'm a wreck right now, but I can't really lose my shit until he's gone. Nope, dunno where, dunno how long. All I know is that I ain't got time to freak out.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Junkenstein

Quote from: :regret: on March 20, 2014, 11:12:22 AM
Those are some horrorstories.

Not really, the real horror is in the number of people it seems directly responsible for killing on a week to week basis. Around 30 or so the last time I looked.

Don't worry though, the other lot will fix all these problems and more:
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/labours-workfare-plus-a-sandwich/

QuoteJust like on the New Deal – Tony Blair's bodged plan to cure youth unemployment -  those in a compulsory job will also face mandatory training for 10 hours a week.  It is unclear how this will work in practice, although a Labour Press Release seems to suggest this will merely mean employers are handed £500 on top of their free workers to provide this training.  It seems likely that people with Compulsory Jobs will find themselves working these ten hours without wages under the guise of it being 'work experience'.  This will mean participants on the scheme working five hours a week more than those on current workfare.

On the Politics Show yesterday, the Shadow Employment Minister Stephen Timms, admitted that the cost of the Jobs Guarantee may mean that other previously announced initiatives, such as building more low cost homes, may not be included in the party's next manifesto.  Labour would rather spend money forcing people to work on poverty pay than in solving the housing crisis – the real reason for the spiralling benefit bill and the cause of huge suffering for both the young and old alike.

2 man con indeed.

Needless to say, the lack of affordable housing in the UK is a key factor in several issues. The levels of social housing built by councils have been minimal for years and is a direct factor in high rents and subsequent high house prices. Needless to say, by dropping any intention of fixing the housing situation banks, landlords and the almighty markets will be sure to reward them accordingly.

There's also the angle of many tenants requiring housing benefit so in a very real way the offer here is for Labour to continue to fund landlords. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 20, 2014, 12:36:55 PM
Quote from: :regret: on March 20, 2014, 11:12:22 AM
Those are some horrorstories.

Not really, the real horror is in the number of people it seems directly responsible for killing on a week to week basis. Around 30 or so the last time I looked.

Don't worry though, the other lot will fix all these problems and more:
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/labours-workfare-plus-a-sandwich/

QuoteJust like on the New Deal – Tony Blair's bodged plan to cure youth unemployment -  those in a compulsory job will also face mandatory training for 10 hours a week.  It is unclear how this will work in practice, although a Labour Press Release seems to suggest this will merely mean employers are handed £500 on top of their free workers to provide this training.  It seems likely that people with Compulsory Jobs will find themselves working these ten hours without wages under the guise of it being 'work experience'.  This will mean participants on the scheme working five hours a week more than those on current workfare.

On the Politics Show yesterday, the Shadow Employment Minister Stephen Timms, admitted that the cost of the Jobs Guarantee may mean that other previously announced initiatives, such as building more low cost homes, may not be included in the party's next manifesto.  Labour would rather spend money forcing people to work on poverty pay than in solving the housing crisis – the real reason for the spiralling benefit bill and the cause of huge suffering for both the young and old alike.

2 man con indeed.

Needless to say, the lack of affordable housing in the UK is a key factor in several issues. The levels of social housing built by councils have been minimal for years and is a direct factor in high rents and subsequent high house prices. Needless to say, by dropping any intention of fixing the housing situation banks, landlords and the almighty markets will be sure to reward them accordingly.

There's also the angle of many tenants requiring housing benefit so in a very real way the offer here is for Labour to continue to fund landlords.
The deaths i didn't see coming, I assume that it is statistically significantly more death than in normal workplaces?

The housing situation is quite fucked here as well. There's something about social housing and housing benefits that leads to more expensive housing for everyone. We are getting fucked on both sides of the north sea.

LMNO

Quote from: The Suu on March 20, 2014, 12:26:48 PM
In true "Suu goes away and always comes back to hell" fashion, let's just say that we're getting married tomorrow in Concord so it's expedited, and he leaves on Monday.

Yikes!

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 20, 2014, 01:09:57 PM
Quote from: The Suu on March 20, 2014, 12:26:48 PM

Yikes!

Ask yourself if you're really surprised?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Since this is you we're talking about, no.  Not really.

Cain

Welp, I just achieved power absolute in ME3MP.  Only taken 18 months of playing, but I've finally unlocked the Hurricane X. Video forthcoming, if the hot drinks improve my throat any.