News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: 50 Shades of Chronic Liver Disease

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on March 20, 2014, 08:04:22 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 20, 2014, 07:23:07 PM
Ok, honestly, if I came in looking for a session beer, bitter but not face-smacking, balanced but not too malty, with a ABV that I could have a few pints without getting fucked up, what would I order at your bar?

Example: 21st Amendment Bitter American.

There are plenty of things like Old Speckled Hen, All Day IPA, Hop Ticket Session IPA, pretty much any ESB, Anderson Valley just released their Keebarlin' session ale. It seems session ales and lagers are the thing this spring. Terrapin made a helles lager with smoked pineapple called Pineapple Express that's just barely slightly smoky but has a nice light hop finish. IMO a little hoppy for a helles lager, but not bad by any means.
Dammit, I'm jealous. You Americans have a great approach to beer.
Here we just have about 10 big beerbrands that all make pilsener and each makes roughly the same set of "special" beers. There are quite a few smaller brands but not many special enough to warrant remembering their names. There are all in all only a couple of hundred beers you can get your hands on, not counting import.
In America when you order a beer you ask for it by name, here you just ask for a beer and get whatever generic pilsener they happen to have on tap. You can order special beers almost everywhere but it is not a common behaviour and the selection is similar everywhere you go.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pergamos

Quote from: :regret: on March 20, 2014, 08:16:40 PM
Ok, honestly, if I came in looking for a session beer, bitter but not face-smacking, balanced but not too malty, with a ABV that I could have a few pints without getting fucked up, what would I order at your bar?

There are plenty of things like Old Speckled Hen, All Day IPA, Hop Ticket Session IPA, pretty much any ESB, Anderson Valley just released their Keebarlin' session ale. It seems session ales and lagers are the thing this spring. Terrapin made a helles lager with smoked pineapple called Pineapple Express that's just barely slightly smoky but has a nice light hop finish. IMO a little hoppy for a helles lager, but not bad by any means.
Here we just have about 10 big beerbrands that all make pilsener and each makes roughly the same set of "special" beers. There are quite a few smaller brands but not many special enough to warrant remembering their names. There are all in all only a couple of hundred beers you can get your hands on, not counting import.
In America when you order a beer you ask for it by name, here you just ask for a beer and get whatever generic pilsener they happen to have on tap. You can order special beers almost everywhere but it is not a common behaviour and the selection is similar everywhere you go.

In America most bars offer 2 or 3 different kinds of pilsner on tap (Bud, Miller, Coors) and that is it.  You can get other stuff in abottle but it is mostly crap.  Squid just happens to work in a good bar.  We have a lot of microbreweries but most aren't available in most bars.  Sounds like you guys are aut ready for a microbrew explosion.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Pergamos on March 20, 2014, 08:22:44 PM
Quote from: :regret: on March 20, 2014, 08:16:40 PM

In America most bars offer 2 or 3 different kinds of pilsner on tap (Bud, Miller, Coors) and that is it.  You can get other stuff in abottle but it is mostly crap.  Squid just happens to work in a good bar.  We have a lot of microbreweries but most aren't available in most bars.  Sounds like you guys are aut ready for a microbrew explosion.

Florida is about to start exploding with microbreweries. We have a few good ones already like Cigar City, Funky Buddha, Engine 15, Saint Somewhere and 7venth Sun. (I hate when 7's are used in names like that)

A lot of ordinary bars are just your standard big 3, but our craft beer bars are also taking off pretty well.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Dat Randall!

The possibilities are endless.
Cocoa nibs through vanilla stout
Roses through saison
mango/other tropical fruit through IPAs
Cookies through porters...

Oh my ::faint::

Suu

Apparently I moved to craft beer central and had no idea. Aside from Redhook and Shittynose being in-town, we have at least half a dozen more brewpubs in town. The smoked pig head and lavender stout was fucking WEIRD.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 20, 2014, 07:28:05 PM
Dear sir, I intend to get fucked up, but I'd like to take my time doing it. Otherwise, it's just rolling I to a bar, ordering five shots of tequila, and drinking them in quick succession.

There's just no ART to it.

On this subject, any idea what's going on with the GAY BAR tomorrow? Roger hasn't been on in a few days.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What kind of ABV are you talking about here? Like a 4.5?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Nigel on March 20, 2014, 09:46:05 PM

What kind of ABV are you talking about here? Like a 4.5?

I'm guessing what he's asking for is anywhere between 4 and 5.
I'm digging a lot of these berliner weisses (at around 3.5) lately.
Tart, but not totally sour. Mmmmm.

LMNO

Yeah, 4.5 sounds about right.

ESBs are my jam.

Dunno about the logistics for Madonna night yet. Quite possibly meet at Beat Hotel in Cambridge first, then head over.

Cain

Nephew Twiddleton

Met up with Roger today. I forgot how tiring walking around Boston can be. Needless to say, I bought sneakers straight after. Was good times. Roger boggled my mind a bit explaining calculus, but he gave me solid advice on how to tackle it when I take it in September. Richter and Leln were also in attendance for a late lunch at the Pour House.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, I think for the first time in a while I've either broke even or am working on a deficit calorically, in a not dear god I'm hung over as fuck setting. Which is good. I've got a bit of winter chub to work off. Not too much, but just enough to make some of my pants tight in a not "hey there" sort of way.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also also, it's amazing how many drunk people you will come across in Downtown Boston at like, 3 pm. I forgot this, because I usually am only in Somerville, the Medical Area, or Charlestown on weekdays.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 20, 2014, 06:37:20 PM
Amusingly, I'm* the only one who picked Dayton to beat Ohio State, so I'm currently winning.

*Eris -- or Chance, actually.

AND ND State upset Oklahoma today. Curse your mad science for actually making me care about that game!

Back to the fecal matter in the pool

LMNO