News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

ITT: SUU AND ROGER BALK AT YOUR OCCUPATIONAL HAZARDS

Started by Suu, March 26, 2014, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

The forklift that goes to the roll-wrapper has 4 levers:

1. Up and down.
2. Tilt forward and back.
3. Twist.
4. Grab and release (it's a roll-lift, so instead of forks imaging giant huggy arms that just want to squeeze you and love you to death)

So, I'm getting trained on this thing a couple weeks ago. When I should have pulled lever 3, I pushed lever 4, which led to a 2000 pound roll of paper getting un-hugged from about 6 feet up. Luckily, I had been holding it on it's side, so instead of just plopping down on it's flat bottom and stopping, it hit the ground and rolled right at the guy who was training me. He grinned and moved out of the way. I stopped shaking last night at about 9 pm.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Suu

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on March 27, 2014, 01:50:28 PM

1. Up and down.
3. Twist.
4. Grab and release (it's a roll-lift, so instead of forks imaging giant huggy arms that just want to squeeze you and love you to death)

So, I'm getting trained on this thing a couple weeks ago. When I should have pulled lever 3, I pushed lever 4, which led to a 2000 pound roll of paper getting un-hugged from about 6 feet up. Luckily, I had been holding it on it's side, so instead of just plopping down on it's flat bottom and stopping, it hit the ground and rolled right at the guy who was training me. He grinned and moved out of the way. I stopped shaking last night at about 9 pm.

I really want one of these. In Bobcat-form. This way, when I do my own plowing, I can also hug cars and move them out of the way when they aren't moved during a parking ban.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

minuspace

Quote from: The Suu on March 26, 2014, 11:48:23 PM
I just had a sewing machine needle fly right for my FUCKING FACE. AGAIN. Fortunately, I was wearing safety glasses this time as I've been known to get a little hardcore. Ask Richter, I accidentally his crotch last workshop day. With Luna's machine.
That's crazy - I've been playing with a bunch of Brother machines these past few weeks and it never occurred to me those things can be dangerous - although heavy - I love how I look like a hit man when it's in it's carrying case :lulz:
(edit: sewing and knitting are different, I was referring to latter (hookers got me))

East Coast Hustle

Occupational hazards, you say?

My hands are impervious to heat and nearly impervious to edged weapons. And if you do manage to hurt them, I very likely won't feel it at all.

I prefer to think of them as occupational improvements.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

I'm not allowed to talk about my occupational hazards, except to say that they may or may not involve the Hounds of Tindalos.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Suu

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 27, 2014, 05:23:00 PM

My hands are impervious to heat and nearly impervious to edged weapons. And if you do manage to hurt them, I very likely won't feel it at all.

My brother wears long sleeves to cook, even when it's 110 degrees outside and 2000 degrees in the kitchen. Better to burn a shirt than burn your arm.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Blood, feces, infection, physical violence, insomnia, depression....just off the top of my head.

Anna Mae Bollocks

We have eye wash stations around the plant. I'm guessing things can go spew sometimes. And we're supposed to wear safety goggles when hot and cold testing, so maybe things go splodey sometimes.

As for my other job, cray crays. Lots of cray crays.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Suu

My sewing machine has cruise control. I don't use it because I don't trust it. The last time that happened, it turned the husband's metalworking materials into a darling bolero jacket.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on March 27, 2014, 01:50:28 PM

1. Up and down.
3. Twist.

I used to work on those fucking things, once upon a time.  Some fucking GENIUS put the hydraulic pumps right at the fucking bottom of the cabinet, where you could only get 1/6 of a rotation at a time with a wrench.

HATE HATE HATE
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Suu on March 27, 2014, 07:31:59 PM

My brother wears long sleeves to cook, even when it's 110 degrees outside and 2000 degrees in the kitchen. Better to burn a shirt than burn your arm.

Fuck that. I hate being fully enclosed. Plus, scar tissue is armor.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Salty

Today, a pretty lady farted and drooled at the same time.

8)
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 28, 2014, 05:02:57 AM

Hey, sort of on-topic, when would be the best time to head up and eat everything on your menu?  Preferably, not a lot of tourists, but the kicthen is still in fighting shape.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 28, 2014, 11:39:39 AM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 28, 2014, 05:02:57 AM

Hey, sort of on-topic, when would be the best time to head up and eat everything on your menu?  Preferably, not a lot of tourists, but the kicthen is still in fighting shape.

Ditto.

And LMNO, you and the missus are welcome to rendez-vous here in Port City on the way and pick up two foodie hitchhikers. Or one, depending if the husband has duty or not.