News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Mozilla CEO resigns after OkCupid boycott

Started by Pæs, April 03, 2014, 09:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on April 11, 2014, 01:59:03 PM
I keep coming back to this post.

Because if I'm honest with myself, I should put the Occupy protests and the Firefox boycott in the same boat. I find myself defending occupy on the basis that we need something like it. And you can't expect hashtag activists to become real activists overnight, it's an iterative process. So maybe I shouldn't be as harsh on this thing? It's a start.

They say that for every thousand axes hacking at the branches of corruption, only one or two are actually swinging at the tree's trunk. There are meaningful battles and meaningless battles. You can extinguish the couch but if the house is still on fire, it's a losing game.

In a larger sense, what's do you guys think is the best way to help? Is it better to help redirect all these hatchets to the root of the tree? Or is just better that people get practice with a hatchet? And I realize this is a bit broader than just this particular civil rights battle. Are All forms of protest good, because the Body Politic needs to develop those muscles? Or is it actually destructive / distracting to waste energy on these trivial battlegrounds?

I think Occupy was a good idea that was poorly executed.  It would have been really effective, if they hadn't decided it needed an internal government.  A regular demonstration does nothing.  A demonstration that gets in the way DOES do something.  I think Occupy a banker's street (remember that?) is even more useful.  Going after the banks while ignoring the actual people that do the shitty things is basically agreeing that corporations are people.  I was trying to get this point across to St Mae when she decided I wasn't a person, the irony of which still makes me laugh.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on April 11, 2014, 02:02:26 PM
Your protest is insufficiently revolutionary,
return to the paddock IMMEDIATELY
                                                     \

Not my point.

Hashtag activism signals a wider failure in the body politic, that, in a political system so utterly broken yet resistant to change as ours, language policing and internet mob fury are misdirected energy spent at exerting control over the only kind of politics people can actually engage in.

Hashtag activism will not overcome the conditions that cause hashtag activism, and that is a problem.

Cramulus