News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 10, 2014, 11:00:12 PM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on May 10, 2014, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 10, 2014, 04:15:57 PM
Not really relevant to anything here, but it finally dawned on me that friends who push me to go out when I say I'm tired or not feeling well really don't give a fuck about me, so I shouldn't bother being polite about it.

People do that?

They do indeed. It's really obnoxious. "But I haven't seen you for ages", "Come oooon, you should come have a drink to celebrate". I got bullied into going out on my birthday because "You HAVE to, it's your BIRTHDAY" even though I have been feeling like suck for the last several weeks and just wanted to go home and have one goddamn decent night's sleep after reading in bed for a couple hours.

And inexplicably, I seem to lack the spine to just tell my friends to fuck off.

I have friends that try to push me to go out or hang out too, even after several times declining.  But in my case it's fair, as without their pushing and prodding I can go months without leaving the house.  I'm a bit of a strange case I suppose, and they know it.

Anyway, maybe I didn't dig far enough back (I don't often visit the OPEN BAR thread), but what is "Ford Scholar"?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: trix on May 10, 2014, 11:03:22 PM
Not really relevant to anything here, but it finally dawned on me that friends who push me to go out when I say I'm tired or not feeling well really don't give a fuck about me, so I shouldn't bother being polite about it.

People do that?

They do indeed. It's really obnoxious. "But I haven't seen you for ages", "Come oooon, you should come have a drink to celebrate". I got bullied into going out on my birthday because "You HAVE to, it's your BIRTHDAY" even though I have been feeling like suck for the last several weeks and just wanted to go home and have one goddamn decent night's sleep after reading in bed for a couple hours.

I have friends that try to push me to go out or hang out too, even after several times declining.  But in my case it's fair, as without their pushing and prodding I can go months without leaving the house.  I'm a bit of a strange case I suppose, and they know it.

Anyway, maybe I didn't dig far enough back (I don't often visit the OPEN BAR thread), but what is "Ford Scholar"?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ford+scholar
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

trix

Ah, well, congrats!!  That's pretty awesome.

And yeah yeah on teh googel, I just thought I had missed an earlier part of the conversation that went something like "So I entered this contest thing called Ford Scholar and it does _____ and I won!".
But yeah, shoulda duckduckgo'd that bitch.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: trix on May 10, 2014, 11:46:15 PM

And yeah yeah on teh googel, I just thought I had missed an earlier part of the conversation that went something like "So I entered this contest thing called Ford Scholar and it does _____ and I won!".

Or ixquick, for that matter. I'm just saying.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, over the last few weeks since I got the letter stating that I made it to the interview level I've been posting updates. A week ago I went to Eugene to interview, and yesterday I got the congratulations letter. It's a full-ride scholarship + calculated living expenses (they are calculated for a single person with no kids, but it still helps me A LOT) and is renewable for two years, so theoretically it will cover the entire rest of my undergrad degrees.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: All father, Bearman on May 10, 2014, 11:02:55 PM

People do that?

/b/ink and I deliver.

The irony is that I really want to go see my boyfriend's band tonight, and it's just down the street, but I'm feeling so burnt out from going out for two hours - yes, just two hours - last night because I succumbed to peer pressure that I'm not sure I can make it. Sigh.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Hand made noodles. Korpiklaani show. Fungus. These are a few of my Saturday Night!
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Suu

Same-sex marriage ban has been proven unconstitutional in Arkansas and the first gay marriage happened today. Apparently, a great deal of people are coming out in favor of it, and Arkansas has not yet been smited by God's wrath.

...Of course, it's the middle of tornado season, so get ready, shit's about to be amusing.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Suu on May 11, 2014, 03:51:28 AM
Same-sex marriage ban has been proven unconstitutional in Arkansas and the first gay marriage happened today. Apparently, a great deal of people are coming out in favor of it, and Arkansas has not yet been smited by God's wrath.

...Of course, it's the middle of tornado season, so get ready, shit's about to be amusing.

I have this guess that even in someplace as dead red as Arkansas, that if you remove the social pressure to hold the line against gay marriage, most people there would be  of the "Why the hell not?" opinion. I really don't anticipate the same pushback as a Roe v Wade got...mainly because I think there are a lot of uncounted people out there who really just secretly appreciate the opportunity to not have to act like it's a problem for them.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

trix

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 11, 2014, 12:14:21 AM

Yes, over the last few weeks since I got the letter stating that I made it to the interview level I've been posting updates. A week ago I went to Eugene to interview, and yesterday I got the congratulations letter. It's a full-ride scholarship + calculated living expenses (they are calculated for a single person with no kids, but it still helps me A LOT) and is renewable for two years, so theoretically it will cover the entire rest of my undergrad degrees.

Wow, that's awesome!

I've been taking every other year off to save up for next years tuition (and avoid student loans), so I sort of understand a bit of your struggle (though, the kid factor probably means your struggle > mine exponentially) and see how awesome it would be to get this!
Zen Without Zen Masters

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

minuspace

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 10, 2014, 08:48:54 PM
Going to a get together tonight where everyone is encouraged to bring their art and writing and share it with folks.

I printed out a few pages of Necronomicoin - specifically the bit entering the Cathedral of Salt and ending with the first guardian.

I might be out a few friends by the end of the night.   :lulz:
That sounds like fun - more cool stuff like that :)

minuspace