OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 12, 2014, 11:03:06 PM
You think of my dad too?

:wink:

I said almost.

Though, I was also thinking about him earlier because of some reference to Dubya and science.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Chelagoras The Boulder

Today during a therapy session, i caused my counselor to ask, with a straight face, the question, " But is going to a music show at a coffeshop as risky as summoning a horde of the undead?"

he immediately followed up with, "That is the weirdest question I have ever asked."

I like therapy. :D
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Suu

The boy had a brainfart and forgot his passport when he packed in advance for the weekend. So now he has to come back to NH and then head to Montreal to get it. He won't let me send it to him, since mail around these parts is on par with that of a 3rd world country, and even though he doesn't need it to gain entry into Canada, he won't let me hold it until he gets there. He's less than thrilled. But if he comes home Friday night and leaves early Saturday, Portsmouth is only 4 and a half hours away.

Still,  :argh!: How the fuck did we forget his passport of all things?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: The Suu linkkindredc=36465.msg1342962#msg1342962 date=1399947113
The boy had a brainfart and forgot his passport when he packed in advance for the weekend. So now he has to come back to NH and then head to Montreal to get it. He won't let me send it to him, since mail around these parts is on par with that of a 3rd world country, and even though he doesn't need it to gain entry into Canada, he won't let me hold it until he gets there. He's less than thrilled. But if he comes home Friday night and leaves early Saturday, Portsmouth is only 4 and a half hours away.

I feel like him and I are kindred spirits.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on May 13, 2014, 01:34:21 AM
Today during a therapy session, i caused my counselor to ask, with a straight face, the question, " But is going to a music show at a coffeshop as risky as summoning a horde of the undead?"

he immediately followed up with, "That is the weirdest question I have ever asked."

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on May 13, 2014, 03:11:53 AM

Maybe he should get a passport card that he can keep in his wallet always? Isn't that a thing they do now, or have they scrapped it already?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on May 13, 2014, 01:34:21 AM

:lulz: Say, Doc., what do you know about countertransference ... :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 13, 2014, 06:51:42 AM
Quote from: The Suu on May 13, 2014, 03:11:53 AM

Maybe he should get a passport card that he can keep in his wallet always? Isn't that a thing they do now, or have they scrapped it already?

They do still have it, but it's just for travel to Canada and Mexico, which in this instance would make sense. the Navy issued him a full passport, and he used to just keep it in his car until I suggested it was a bad idea and we got a fire proof box at home for such things. So yeah, I'm equally contributing to the guilty, here.  :| it was in his car when it got stolen last year, but whomever jacked the car didn't seem to notice or care about it, thankfully. That could have been a real mess.

I actually maintain most of his important documents for him aside from his military ID and drivers license for such reasons. I was just a baaaaad secretary this time around.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

My dad suggested to my mom that they buy hurricane supplies early this year.

He NEVER does that. In the 20+ years of Florida living, we only ever bought hurricane shit last minute when it actually looked like we were going to get hit, and even still, Pinellas County (the thumb that makes Tampa Bay) it's not typically a target for direct hits, except for in 2004, when the entire state was a direct hit, 3 times, in a row.

Needless to say, mom is a bit spooked, but she's obliging.

I'm glad I'm not really in the path of a storm anymore. We can get nasty flybys here, but the odds of something turning into the NH/ME coast is low. And I no longer need to worry about the Providence hurricane barrier failing.

Sita

Quote from: The Suu on May 13, 2014, 03:08:27 PM

He NEVER does that. In the 20+ years of Florida living, we only ever bought hurricane shit last minute when it actually looked like we were going to get hit, and even still, Pinellas County (the thumb that makes Tampa Bay) it's not typically a target for direct hits, except for in 2004, when the entire state was a direct hit, 3 times, in a row.

I'm glad I'm not really in the path of a storm anymore. We can get nasty flybys here, but the odds of something turning into the NH/ME coast is low. And I no longer need to worry about the Providence hurricane barrier failing.
Could it be because they just made a tax free holiday for hurricane supplies? Starting May 31 and lasting for 9 days.
I know my parents are going to be buying a bit earlier than usual because of it.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on May 13, 2014, 04:26:32 PM
Quote from: The Suu on May 13, 2014, 03:08:27 PM

Could it be because they just made a tax free holiday for hurricane supplies? Starting May 31 and lasting for 9 days.
I know my parents are going to be buying a bit earlier than usual because of it.

Don't be reasonable.

Cain

So close to finishing I can taste it.  Just another 1250 words or so.  Give or take a couple of hundred.

LMNO

Time to pad that thing out with tautologies and restating the theme!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So far my hunt for papers on the relationship between entropy and emergence has turned up three, one of which sort of vaguely addresses my interests.

Cain

Well, one more thesis to propose first.  That's what I'm hoping to spend 750 words on.  Then it's 500 for the conclusion, and then I'll re-word and shorten the conclusion for a 300 word abstract (which is currently lorem ipsum).

It's all in the plan.