News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Congrats, American women, you are now 2nd class citizens to Corporations!

Started by Suu, June 30, 2014, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Faust on June 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 30, 2014, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: The Suu on June 30, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 30, 2014, 04:01:32 PM
Question, in America what are the laws regarding time off for pregnancy and similar?

We have none.

More or less, but there's a bit of nuance:

Quote from: WikipediaFederal legislation:
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, signed into law during President Bill Clinton's first term, guaranteed maternity leave to many new mothers across the nation. It mandated a maximum of 12 weeks unpaid leave to mothers for the purpose of attending to a newborn or newly adopted child. However, the act did not attain universal coverage as it included several limiting stipulations. In order to receive maternity leave, employees must work in a firm of 50 or more employees, maintain employment with the same business for 12 months and have accumulated at least 1,250 working hours over those 12 months.

State legislation:
Paid maternity leave by state
Many states have supplemented these federal regulations and provided more extensive maternity leave benefits. There are currently 25 states that expand upon federal legislation in some manner. Fourteen of these states, along with the District of Columbia, have addressed eligibility requirements by lowering the firm-size threshold from 50 or more employees down to as low as 10 employees.
Seven other states, in addition to the District of Columbia, have adopted more generous maternity leave lengths that allow longer absences for the purpose of child rearing. Moreover, some states have enacted legislation enhancing the benefits of leave programs. California, New Jersey and Washington, for instance, operate programs that require private-sector employers to pay their employees who utilize maternity leave at partial replacement rates. Similarly, three other states and the District of Columbia designate childbirth as a temporary disability thus guaranteeing mothers paid maternity leave through Disability Insurance (TDI) provisions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave_in_the_United_States

Fucking hell, and I thought Irelands six months paid leave was stingy. So do single mothers just lose there jobs there?

It can happen, especially if it's a low wage job like serving or retail.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

QuoteAt least 26 states have laws requiring insurers that cover prescription drugs also provide coverage for any Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved contraceptive.  These states include: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. An additional two states—Michigan and Montana—require insurance coverage of contraceptives as a result of administrative ruling or an Attorney General opinion. Two states—Texas and Virginia—require that employers be offered the option to include coverage of contraceptives within their health plans. Twenty-one states offer exemptions from contraceptive coverage, usually for religious reasons, for insurers or employers in their policies: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (administrative rule), Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas and West Virginia. (These states are indicated with an * in the table below.) Several states require employers to notify employees of their refusal to provide contraceptive coverage.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/insurance-coverage-for-contraception-state-laws.aspx

States have already been wrangling with this for awhile, now.  Given that I know for certain that Hobby Lobby has a store in Massachusetts, and likely have locations in other states which do require they cover any FDA approved contraceptive, they will likely have to have multiple plans, one which DOES cover birth control, and one which doesn't.  This will likely increase their costs.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on June 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 30, 2014, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: The Suu on June 30, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 30, 2014, 04:01:32 PM
Question, in America what are the laws regarding time off for pregnancy and similar?

We have none.

More or less, but there's a bit of nuance:

Quote from: WikipediaFederal legislation:
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, signed into law during President Bill Clinton's first term, guaranteed maternity leave to many new mothers across the nation. It mandated a maximum of 12 weeks unpaid leave to mothers for the purpose of attending to a newborn or newly adopted child. However, the act did not attain universal coverage as it included several limiting stipulations. In order to receive maternity leave, employees must work in a firm of 50 or more employees, maintain employment with the same business for 12 months and have accumulated at least 1,250 working hours over those 12 months.

State legislation:
Paid maternity leave by state
Many states have supplemented these federal regulations and provided more extensive maternity leave benefits. There are currently 25 states that expand upon federal legislation in some manner. Fourteen of these states, along with the District of Columbia, have addressed eligibility requirements by lowering the firm-size threshold from 50 or more employees down to as low as 10 employees.
Seven other states, in addition to the District of Columbia, have adopted more generous maternity leave lengths that allow longer absences for the purpose of child rearing. Moreover, some states have enacted legislation enhancing the benefits of leave programs. California, New Jersey and Washington, for instance, operate programs that require private-sector employers to pay their employees who utilize maternity leave at partial replacement rates. Similarly, three other states and the District of Columbia designate childbirth as a temporary disability thus guaranteeing mothers paid maternity leave through Disability Insurance (TDI) provisions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave_in_the_United_States

Fucking hell, and I thought Irelands six months paid leave was stingy. So do single mothers just lose there jobs there?

YEP.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Luna on June 30, 2014, 11:54:01 PM
QuoteAt least 26 states have laws requiring insurers that cover prescription drugs also provide coverage for any Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved contraceptive.  These states include: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. An additional two states—Michigan and Montana—require insurance coverage of contraceptives as a result of administrative ruling or an Attorney General opinion. Two states—Texas and Virginia—require that employers be offered the option to include coverage of contraceptives within their health plans. Twenty-one states offer exemptions from contraceptive coverage, usually for religious reasons, for insurers or employers in their policies: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (administrative rule), Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas and West Virginia. (These states are indicated with an * in the table below.) Several states require employers to notify employees of their refusal to provide contraceptive coverage.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/insurance-coverage-for-contraception-state-laws.aspx

States have already been wrangling with this for awhile, now.  Given that I know for certain that Hobby Lobby has a store in Massachusetts, and likely have locations in other states which do require they cover any FDA approved contraceptive, they will likely have to have multiple plans, one which DOES cover birth control, and one which doesn't.  This will likely increase their costs.

Rhode Island has a store in Warwick, they're never busy, because, well, Rhode Island has the least amount of God anywhere thanks to the colonial charter (THANKS ROGER WILLIAMS!). New Hampshire, as far as I know so far, does not. It doesn't seem like a store that would be welcome here, even up in the parts that think they're Texas. You do not fuck with people's rights in New England. The last guy that did that ended up losing 13 colonies and got sent packing across the ocean. 

However, as I brought up before, Marbury VS Madison, whatever is upheld in SCOTUS immediately effects the sovereignty of the states and the states must oblige. If not, Rhode Island could, in theory, turn around and throw Hobby Lobby back to whatever fucking flyover state they came from for violating their state constitution, and they should have done it BEFORE this shit went down, instead of focusing on making calamari the official state appetizer.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

I have decided that since businesses can now be protected under the Bill of Rights, that I wish to see Wal-Mart's well-regulated militia.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Suu on July 01, 2014, 02:08:14 AM

Rhode Island has a store in Warwick, they're never busy, because, well, Rhode Island has the least amount of God anywhere thanks to the colonial charter (THANKS ROGER WILLIAMS!). New Hampshire, as far as I know so far, does not. It doesn't seem like a store that would be welcome here, even up in the parts that think they're Texas. You do not fuck with people's rights in New England. The last guy that did that ended up losing 13 colonies and got sent packing across the ocean. 

However, as I brought up before, Marbury VS Madison, whatever is upheld in SCOTUS immediately effects the sovereignty of the states and the states must oblige. If not, Rhode Island could, in theory, turn around and throw Hobby Lobby back to whatever fucking flyover state they came from for violating their state constitution, and they should have done it BEFORE this shit went down, instead of focusing on making calamari the official state appetizer.

Since this was a statutory decision, not a Constitutional one, I don't think this automatically applies at the state level. The Constitution applies across all jurisdictions, but Federal statue only has jurisdiction in interstate commerce. Intrastate commerce still falls to the states. I think this would work like minimum wage--the Federal regulation says that no state can have a minimum wage below a certain level, but other subdivisions of government can implement a higher one if they choose.

Since federal statute (according to 5 power drunk assholes) apparently sets the minimum set of benes businesses have to offer their employees at a level which does not include BC if the company has a religious problem with sluts and the like, states/counties/cities should still be free to up that minimum to include BC as a requirement for operating within their jurisdiction.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

...and at this point, I just pretty much :weary:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jul/01/sally-kohn/did-hobby-lobby-once-provide-birth-control-coverag/

Quote"Hobby Lobby provided this coverage before they decided to drop it to file suit, which was politically motivated," she said.

We can't determine if politics motivated the company, but we did wonder whether Hobby Lobby covered the types of birth control at issue in its lawsuit but dropped the coverage before filing its complaint.

The short answer: Yes.

LMNO

FB is incredible.  Look at this:

Quote from: Not One Of My FriendsJust like Citizens United, when the government over steps its bounds, there are unintended consequences that they either completely ignore or willfully omit. No Citizens United decision, no unlimited corporate spending. No ACA, no law suits over who pays for what or picking and choosing which pieces of the law will be followed and which will not. There is one single common denominator of all of this; an activist government. I'm as pro choice as they come, IN ALL aspects of the human condition, not just woman's issues....

and now Muslim business owners can essentially deny life saving heart valve replacements cause they are made from pigs. Mormons can reinstate their polygamy practices and on and on it goes. These are the unintended consequences of government intervention of which I speak. They do it over and over again, you'd think Americans would catch on by now, but no. They just move to the next issue du jour cause it's too hard to follow.

Ben Shapiro

Businesses owned by the Houston Free Thinkers can send workers only to that "Quantum Touch" guy instead of the ER.

LMNO

Oh, good.  SCOTUS just announced that the ruling applies to all contraception, not just the ones mentioned in the case.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/scotus-says-hobby-lobby-ruling-applies-broadly

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 01, 2014, 08:45:27 PM
Oh, good.  SCOTUS just announced that the ruling applies to all contraception, not just the ones mentioned in the case.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/scotus-says-hobby-lobby-ruling-applies-broadly

Because why wait?

Fucking shit on a shingle. I love being a slutty woman in America that takes slut pills.

LMNO

What's going through my head is, "this is what you get when you decide not to aim for single-payer healthcare."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 01, 2014, 09:05:20 PM
What's going through my head is, "this is what you get when you decide not to aim for single-payer healthcare."

There are so many, many "when you...." that could go at the end of that "this is what you get."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 01, 2014, 06:20:42 PM
FB is incredible.  Look at this:

Quote from: Not One Of My FriendsJust like Citizens United, when the government over steps its bounds, there are unintended consequences that they either completely ignore or willfully omit. No Citizens United decision, no unlimited corporate spending. No ACA, no law suits over who pays for what or picking and choosing which pieces of the law will be followed and which will not. There is one single common denominator of all of this; an activist government. I'm as pro choice as they come, IN ALL aspects of the human condition, not just woman's issues....

and now Muslim business owners can essentially deny life saving heart valve replacements cause they are made from pigs. Mormons can reinstate their polygamy practices and on and on it goes. These are the unintended consequences of government intervention of which I speak. They do it over and over again, you'd think Americans would catch on by now, but no. They just move to the next issue du jour cause it's too hard to follow.

Yeah, it's totally government intervention that did this, because deciding not to regulate something is exactly the same as government interference.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 01, 2014, 05:26:13 PM
Quote from: The Suu on July 01, 2014, 02:08:14 AM

Since this was a statutory decision, not a Constitutional one, I don't think this automatically applies at the state level. The Constitution applies across all jurisdictions, but Federal statue only has jurisdiction in interstate commerce. Intrastate commerce still falls to the states. I think this would work like minimum wage--the Federal regulation says that no state can have a minimum wage below a certain level, but other subdivisions of government can implement a higher one if they choose.

Since federal statute (according to 5 power drunk assholes) apparently sets the minimum set of benes businesses have to offer their employees at a level which does not include BC if the company has a religious problem with sluts and the like, states/counties/cities should still be free to up that minimum to include BC as a requirement for operating within their jurisdiction.

Right, in other words this won't impact coverage in Oregon at all, but I imagine employees in Texas and Florida are fucked.