News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 07, 2014, 02:09:27 AM
Chilling post work-apocalypse with friends. Tonight they are showing me a thing called 'Cowboy Bebop'. We do this weekly to help me boot up some of the popular culture.

Cue the earworm theme song.

At least it's an instrumental. I always feel more intelligent when I have instrumentals stuck in my brain.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Your Mom on October 07, 2014, 06:09:20 AM
So today I got an email from my former sister-in-law informing me that my ex-husband died a few days ago.

Oh wow, Nigel...that's...yeah. Tricky.

I still spend a lot of time around the old hood if you want to get a pitcher and talk about foosball, or anything.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Your Mom on October 07, 2014, 02:08:45 PM
I'm OK... it's a little weird, but I'm OK. The weird thing is that a friend of mine mentioned him just the other day, and I said "I have a feeling he's dead" and, well, now he is.

So weird. I'll probably be processing a lot of stuff over the next couple weeks. I married him very young and he was not a good man to be married to.

Very sorry to hear this.  As to the intuition, I've seen weirder. I don't pretend to understand everything, but have pretty much written off secular materialism.

Hang in there, I've lost people close to me and it always brings up stuff.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 07, 2014, 05:09:57 PM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 07, 2014, 02:09:27 AM
Chilling post work-apocalypse with friends. Tonight they are showing me a thing called 'Cowboy Bebop'. We do this weekly to help me boot up some of the popular culture.

Cue the earworm theme song.

At least it's an instrumental. I always feel more intelligent when I have instrumentals stuck in my brain.

We saw the movie and the score was amazing! The whole thing was a wonderful work of art. There's a series too I'm told... may just have to acquire it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Finally, a half hour to get scrubbed down and internet access.

Then the horror begins again.  I love LA.  It makes me feel dirty.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 07, 2014, 05:13:59 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 07, 2014, 06:09:20 AM
So today I got an email from my former sister-in-law informing me that my ex-husband died a few days ago.

Oh wow, Nigel...that's...yeah. Tricky.

I still spend a lot of time around the old hood if you want to get a pitcher and talk about foosball, or anything.

I'd like that. Probably not this week, but almost certainly after the memorial.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 07, 2014, 10:25:00 PM
I'm OK... it's a little weird, but I'm OK. The weird thing is that a friend of mine mentioned him just the other day, and I said "I have a feeling he's dead" and, well, now he is.

So weird. I'll probably be processing a lot of stuff over the next couple weeks. I married him very young and he was not a good man to be married to.

Very sorry to hear this.  As to the intuition, I've seen weirder. I don't pretend to understand everything, but have pretty much written off secular materialism.

I'm just kind of sad for him right now. I just got off the phone with his sister and it just sounds like after we split up he was in and out of rehab. Last time I saw him was ten years ago and since then it sounds like he spent a couple of years homeless, was finally clean again (for two years) but his health was just terribly degraded and he ended up dying of a garden-variety stomach bug.

The rational part of me is saying "thank god you got out before he took you down with him", and the irrational part of me is saying "I wonder if things would have been different if I'd stayed?"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Oh, shit, Nigel...I have no idea what to say.   :sad:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 08, 2014, 02:58:04 AM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 07, 2014, 10:25:00 PM

I'm just kind of sad for him right now. I just got off the phone with his sister and it just sounds like after we split up he was in and out of rehab. Last time I saw him was ten years ago and since then it sounds like he spent a couple of years homeless, was finally clean again (for two years) but his health was just terribly degraded and he ended up dying of a garden-variety stomach bug.

The rational part of me is saying "thank god you got out before he took you down with him", and the irrational part of me is saying "I wonder if things would have been different if I'd stayed?"

I think the rational part of you is talking sense.  Of course, the only real question for me would be "did you still love him when you left?"

If not, then maybe it's just a survivor guilt thing.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Awful. Your rational and irrational thoughts are both right and both, of course, equally useless. Sorry, Nigel.  :sad:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

I had an ex smash herself on a motorcycle.  I felt bad about it all for a few days.  Then I realized that I didn't feel anything for her when she was alive (anymore), so why would I be overly upset when she died (anymore, that is, than hearing about anyone's death).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 08, 2014, 03:26:49 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2014, 03:17:54 AM
Oh, shit, Nigel...I have no idea what to say.   :sad:

Thanks, man.

Then I fucked it up by saying something anyway.  My apologies, I am half-drunk and all the way stupid.  I have a comatose chemist on my hands and it's Tim's turn to sleep.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I no longer loved him and knew I couldn't stay with him, but I cared about him. Sometimes I hated him (he did some pretty fucked up things, to me and to other people). I actually tried to find him for several years, but eventually gave up.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 08, 2014, 03:28:26 AM
I no longer loved him and knew I couldn't stay with him, but I cared about him. Sometimes I hated him (he did some pretty fucked up things, to me and to other people). I actually tried to find him for several years, but eventually gave up.

Sometimes mission failure is a success.

Trust the doktor on this one.
Molon Lube