Holiness™ That You Could Probably Have Gone All Day Without Knowing.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 15, 2014, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Once upon a time, there were three cities.  Everyone lived in those three cities, and nobody lived anywhere else, even if they believed that they did.  Those who believed that they lived in Europe or the Midwest or whatever were simply dealing with facts their minds had distorted for the sake of their own sanity.  As it were.

Some were sent to Providence, where the mold grew over them until they were so weighed down that they couldn't move.  They are The Silent Congregation of Eris, and they will not speak until the End of Days.  If you were to X-Ray them, there is a good possibility that they are like the corpses of Pompeii...There's nothing inside the shell of mold.  Not if you are quick, at any rate.  If you are slow or stupid, or try to help them, then the mold will not be hollow for long.

Some were sent to Tucson, where they asphyxiated in the hellish heat.  They are The Tormented Congregation of Eris, and they prowl the airport and train depot (though only at night), looking for new arrivals to welcome.  Things are explained, and the new fish is restrained in place until the pitiless sun comes up and bakes away all the lies and self-delusion that the newcomer had comforted himself with.  Then he joins the others.

And some were sent to Portland, where they meet Her on the bridges.  She explains.  She tells them.  She demonstrates what their reality actually is, she shows them that elephant in the living room which they have learned to look around.  Then She walks off the bridge alone.  Perhaps a bicycle is left behind, perhaps a car with the engine still running and one door left open.  Some walk off the other side of the bridge.  They are The Debased Congregation of Eris.  These are the unworthy, those who were so base as to be mentally prepared for what She tells them.  Others, the worthy, wash up down-river, their sins washed away alongside all identifying features.

What is important to remember in all cases is that this isn't done at the behest of Eris.  Nothing is.  This is just the natural results of LOOKING, of tearing off all the masks and filters and looking around at this brave new world that they built around us while we were sleeping.  This new world isn't healthy for primates whose brains are geared for a limited number of stressors.  The young may adapt; they have their electronics and their social environments in which they block out unwanted stimuli.  The human race will go on.

It just may go on without you.  Or at least the you that is you right now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Telarus

:mittens: Excellent. The last line was just icing... sweet, sweet, insanity flavored icing.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 15, 2014, 07:48:07 PM
All day?

I could have gone all month without knowing...

It is not the job of a Holy Man™ to tell you pleasing lies, even through omission.

This is why it's best to stone the bastards, first chance you get.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

I liked reading that quite a bit. What it meant, it's implications..less so.

What of the youth that have adapted? I wonder if they will be ready to adapt again on the day "the things" stop working or become inaccessible. Or they find need (or have addiction like a need) for something that was always available before and had taken for granted, what would they do to get it again?
Cut a throat for a cheap cheeseburger?
Try to make their own Albuteral inhalers?
Maybe that sounds facetious, but I sincerely wonder if the thing we've made is ultimately more of a grave than a reality tunnel. A dead end for our adaptation as we become fully dependent on a way impossible to sustain.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on September 15, 2014, 10:16:33 PM

What of the youth that have adapted? I wonder if they will be ready to adapt again on the day "the things" stop working or become inaccessible. Or they find need (or have addiction like a need) for something that was always available before and had taken for granted, what would they do to get it again?
Maybe that sounds facetious, but I sincerely wonder if the thing we've made is ultimately more of a grave than a reality tunnel. A dead end for our adaptation as we become fully dependent on a way impossible to sustain.

I think you are projecting the behavior of the prior generation on them.  I think they'll be just fine.  It's us old bastards that are fucked.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 15, 2014, 10:19:01 PM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on September 15, 2014, 10:16:33 PM

I think you are projecting the behavior of the prior generation on them.  I think they'll be just fine.  It's us old bastards that are fucked.

I think you may be right there. I happen to be on the border of genX and Y. It would be easy to project.

To the rest of the post I was struck by the similarity of your allegory to the "trican". The phoenix, dragon, and tiger representing stasis, entropy, and dynamism respectively.

The first city seemed to me a note of stasis until there's nothing left under the moss. The ease in which you could get drawn in seeking to help particularly is the danger. It's easy to be content in contented company.

The second the horrible toll of despair and being doomed to waste in the sun in Tucson. Those that say light is better than darkness just have not seen enough light to be worrysome. Not to diss Solomon.

The third city is clearly the misguided folly of dynamic action unchecked. The goddess jumping off the bridge because she can is no invite to follow, but sure to get a chuckle from her if you do. The guy who inspects your corpse will likely be unimpressed.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on September 16, 2014, 12:48:46 AM
To the rest of the post I was struck by the similarity of your allegory to the "trican". The phoenix, dragon, and tiger representing stasis, entropy, and dynamism respectively.

You lost me.  Allegory?  There is no allegory. 

QuoteThe first city seemed to me a note of stasis until there's nothing left under the moss. The ease in which you could get drawn in seeking to help particularly is the danger. It's easy to be content in contented company.

The second the horrible toll of despair and being doomed to waste in the sun in Tucson. Those that say light is better than darkness just have not seen enough light to be worrysome. Not to diss Solomon.

The third city is clearly the misguided folly of dynamic action unchecked. The goddess jumping off the bridge because she can is no invite to follow, but sure to get a chuckle from her if you do. The guy who inspects your corpse will likely be unimpressed.

You are reading too much into it.  I was just trying to say that the future is BAD for us, but not necessarily for our children, who are smart enough to adapt to future shock via electronics and constant socialization.

The Good Reverend Roger

Anyway, I had a question to which I really needed an answer.  Question was answered, in a way, so I'm on my way.

Good day to you, sir.  I say good day.

Suu

Remarkably, nobody actually lives in Providence anymore. We were able to abandon our husks of mold finally with a strong dose of lifebleach, and moved on.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I've been slowly realizing I actually moved to Tuscon from Portland. It explains why even though I know the sun is always trying to kill me here, yet I cheerfully grab my asthma inhaler and bottle of ice water and ride off into heavy traffic.

:lambs:

But at least there's no mold.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Suu

The Good Reverend Roger

The Wizard Joseph

My mistake. I saw an allegory where none was intended. This happens to me a lot.
Please do not take my lack of timely response as disrespect. I'm often going to be hopping in and out of PD.com trying to find time to interact as I can.

I liked the post and saw a parallel to other things in what you described. Good day to you also sir.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl