News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

8 am classes sure seemed like a good idea when I registered for them this summer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 22, 2015, 05:41:42 AM
Cover art for Hell to Pay (Life During Wartime, book 2).  Artist:  Patience Gonzales.

Damn, that's sexy.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 22, 2015, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2015, 05:17:58 AM
after considering this most of the day, two plans of action emerge
Plan A involves juggling my current job and internship and waiting until the internship lands me a job in my field(90% of the interns who does this leave with employment)to woo her from a position of relative stability. drawbacks include the fact that working at an internship in Long Beach and a Home depot in Garden Grove will be both a drive and a hassle
Plan B involves selling my car to lease a Prius from Breeze. I can work for Postmates (think Uber, but i'd be a courier, not a taxi driver) this would give me a better car to start visiting her in Escondido, and would allow me to set my own hours and spend my off time doing funner things than working like writing and comedy, all while not interfering with said internship and the sexy new job it promises.

currently leaning towards plan B, honestly.

OK, this might sound crazy but bear with me, how about before you make any changes in life plans in order to accommodate wooing her, you talk to her and find out whether the feeling is mutual?
Huh, you mean like a rational person?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 22, 2015, 03:11:40 PM
8 am classes sure seemed like a good idea when I registered for them this summer.

I had a machine shop class at 8 am. Big industrial sized lathes, milling machines, CNC machines, and a grinder with a magnetic "clamp", all stuff that could cause serious harm, death, or expensive damage by just forgetting to flip the right switch, turning a knob the wrong way, or pulling the handle before pushing the lever. It was a nightmare.

On the grinder, if someone forgot to turn on the magnetic "clamp" before engaging the grinding wheel, it would send that 2 pound cube of steel across the room at about 100 mph, and there I was, barely remembering to not fall over.
Formerly something else...

Cain

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2015, 04:15:37 PM
Plan A involves juggling my current job and internship and waiting until the internship lands me a job in my field(90% of the interns who does this leave with employment)to woo her from a position of relative stability. drawbacks include the fact that working at an internship in Long Beach and a Home depot in Garden Grove will be both a drive and a hassle
Plan B involves selling my car to lease a Prius from Breeze. I can work for Postmates (think Uber, but i'd be a courier, not a taxi driver) this would give me a better car to start visiting her in Escondido, and would allow me to set my own hours and spend my off time doing funner things than working like writing and comedy, all while not interfering with said internship and the sexy new job it promises.

OK, this might sound crazy but bear with me, how about before you make any changes in life plans in order to accommodate wooing her, you talk to her and find out whether the feeling is mutual?

Also don't use the word wooing again, ever.  Even in an ironic sense.

You'll thank me for this.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Duly noted.

Edit: Also, why does the rearranging my life part of this plan seem way less scary than the open up, tell her how I feel and ask her if she feels similarly part?

The Good Reverend Roger

Courting is also unacceptable.

IN OTHER NEWS, LDW II is up on smashwords, and should be on Nook, etc, by tonight.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/587099
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2015, 04:15:37 PM

Yeah, because while doing things with your life to make yourself a better potential partner in general is a good thing, selling your car and quitting your job to be closer to a woman who doesn't even know you're interested is definitely veering sharply into batshit creeper territory.

Don't go there. Don't even entertain it. Step one is ALWAYS talking to the other party. Skipping this step leads down the road to badness and men's rights activism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on October 22, 2015, 04:27:49 PM

I had a machine shop class at 8 am. Big industrial sized lathes, milling machines, CNC machines, and a grinder with a magnetic "clamp", all stuff that could cause serious harm, death, or expensive damage by just forgetting to flip the right switch, turning a knob the wrong way, or pulling the handle before pushing the lever. It was a nightmare.

On the grinder, if someone forgot to turn on the magnetic "clamp" before engaging the grinding wheel, it would send that 2 pound cube of steel across the room at about 100 mph, and there I was, barely remembering to not fall over.

Thing is, I function pretty damn well early in the morning. I learn better and my mind is sharper and more alert.

I just do not want to fucking ride my bike four miles in traffic when it's cold and the sun hasn't come up yet and my boyfriend is snug in bed under a big fluffy comforter and alllllll I want out of life at that moment is to stay in there with him.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on October 22, 2015, 06:19:10 PM
Duly noted.

Edit: Also, why does the rearranging my life part of this plan seem way less scary than the open up, tell her how I feel and ask her if she feels similarly part?

Because it's easy to make plans and not so easy to be vulnerable and have a conversation in which you could end up being rejected.

Just start at step one, which is the part where you tell her you're interested. Don't start making plans until/unless you can make them WITH HER. Don't tell her you love her, don't start anywhere but interest. That's where you are in real life, don't let fantasy life carry you any further than that.

Nast

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 22, 2015, 07:34:13 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on October 22, 2015, 04:27:49 PM

Thing is, I function pretty damn well early in the morning. I learn better and my mind is sharper and more alert.

I just do not want to fucking ride my bike four miles in traffic when it's cold and the sun hasn't come up yet and my boyfriend is snug in bed under a big fluffy comforter and alllllll I want out of life at that moment is to stay in there with him.

I remember having class at 7:00. It was awful because I had to wake up at 5:30 so that I had time to walk to the bus station, ride the bus, and then change into my uniform at school. And it was in the middle of winter, so it was dark and cold as well.

And there was also butchery class at 8:00, which was less awful but still a drag. Cutting up half-frozen duck carcasses first thing in the morning isn't as fun as it sounds.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

LMNO

Amateurs.  I get to work at 7:30.  I wake up at 5:00.  I stay up to 11:00, minimum.  Playing rock and roll.

NO EXCUSES!

LMNO
-still acting like a dick, it seems.

Nast

5:00 am is not a real time of day. It is a PUNISHMENT.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Cain

thewake

"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken