News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on November 18, 2016, 11:57:50 PM
if everyone is an asshole, then asshole just means human, and can be discarded as a word. There's no point to using it.

I disagree. To admit that we're all assholes is to say that we're doing things the wrong way. To admit that we're all assholes is to recognize that we need to stop being assholes, and start being human again.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 12:22:26 AM
So you're a nihilist.

No, I'm a Discordian, an existentialist, and a radical centrist. I'm also a caricaturist; I do wedding receptions, birthday parties, and funerals.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 19, 2016, 03:42:05 AM
Quote from: LMNO on November 18, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
Is your point that all beliefs have an equal value, regardless of objective truth?

No, that is not my point.

My point (and this is predominantly limited to U.S. politics but may be otherwise applicable) is that regardless of the objective truth, there is no difference to an outsider between the methods employed by the two major bodies of people who make very different claims about what the truth is. The more people are different, the more they are the same.

My point is that despite which side any given person thinks has a better grasp on the "objective truth", both sides exist and the pendulum of power swings back and forth between them. That isn't to say that the pendulum swings equally; whether or not it does is a different (but related) discussion.

If people don't see things as they are but instead cling to the way they think things ought to be, they live in ignorance. Politics becomes more polarized as both sides demonize each other for bad behaviors and defend their own for the same bad behaviors.

My appeal - despite that I know it almost certainly falls on deaf ears - is for people to stop lying to themselves and each other.

It must be difficult, being the only conscious person in the world.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 04:14:18 AM
Is your point that all beliefs have an equal value, regardless of objective truth?

My point (and this is predominantly limited to U.S. politics but may be otherwise applicable) is that regardless of the objective truth, there is no difference to an outsider between the methods employed by the two major bodies of people who make very different claims about what the truth is. The more people are different, the more they are the same.

My point is that despite which side any given person thinks has a better grasp on the "objective truth", both sides exist and the pendulum of power swings back and forth between them. That isn't to say that the pendulum swings equally; whether or not it does is a different (but related) discussion.

If people don't see things as they are but instead cling to the way they think things ought to be, they live in ignorance. Politics becomes more polarized as both sides demonize each other for bad behaviors and defend their own for the same bad behaviors.

My appeal - despite that I know it almost certainly falls on deaf ears - is for people to stop lying to themselves and each other.

It must be difficult being in my ignore list. Oh, wait, you aren't. Time to fix that.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

LMNO

I can't wait until you've blocked yourself off of PD, functionally.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2016, 04:36:56 AM

BLOCKED.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nothing could be more Discordian.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 19, 2016, 04:27:39 AM

It must be difficult being in my ignore list. Oh, wait, you aren't. Time to fix that.

Let me know how that works out.   :lulz:

I'm an admin, you can't block me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Ben Shapiro

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 06:29:08 AM

Does that mean if you quote others, they can also see that?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 19, 2016, 03:31:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 06:29:08 AM

Does that mean if you quote others, they can also see that?

Yes, actually.  I will cheerfully pass on anyone's posts.

Junkenstein

133 in this thread please.

I'd say more but I don't want to hog all the fun.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2016, 09:55:42 PM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 09:48:09 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2016, 09:45:15 PM
You're doing a poor job of being a human fucking being in general.

The monkey is strong in this one.

Aaaaaaand welcome to my ignore list. You earned it after all.

I join Vivat, weeping softly in the corner over my loss.

My life has been ripped of meaning. All my accomplishments now count for naught. I am left with a hollow ache that can never be fixed.

And you're still an asshole.

Here's protesting done right: https://dcdirectactionnews.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/anti-fascist-activists-storm-restaurant-hosting-neo-nazi-alt-right-npi-dinner/

Calling everyone who voted Trump a racist? Retarded. Storming an NPI dinner? Now you're cooking with gas!
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Ben Shapiro