News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Juana on March 04, 2020, 05:20:07 PM
Is the forum taking a long time to load for anyone else?

Here comes the inquisition.
I'm not seeing any slow down, if you want I can take a look, if so:
How are you accessing it, phone or desktop, if phone wifi or 3g?
Are you using https or plain http? What forum theme are you using?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2020, 10:05:06 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2020, 09:36:58 PM
the boards' been weird for me. Load time is fine but the issue is what's loading

You utter bastard.  :rogpipe:
I think I am angrier with myself for still falling for it

altered

I can't speak for Juana but...

Phone, WiFi and 4G LTE are both having the issue (I switch back and forth on occasion). HTTPS, of course, and the dark mobile theme you put together (thanks for that by the way!)
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Quote from: altered on March 04, 2020, 10:09:37 PM
I can't speak for Juana but...

Phone, WiFi and 4G LTE are both having the issue (I switch back and forth on occasion). HTTPS, of course, and the dark mobile theme you put together (thanks for that by the way!)

LTE speeds should be good, and wifi shoudn't be it unless you where having issues with multiple websites, though I am seeing some weird lag:
https://www.dotcom-tools.com/website-speed-test.aspx#F80EE45A864B456EAD960E8A42974AAC
Tests speeds from around the place, and I am seeing some as high as six seconds, in others 0-1 second, I'm wondering are there regional things going on, or the website itself is serving inconsistently. I'll have a look from the server side and see if there is anything going o

btw:I haven't forgotten about the contrast for the dark theme either by the way (I see it myself at work, it can be hard to read the text), will play around with it a bit more first free day I get

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

Update!

This job is impressive. These jobs, I should say. Making more than double what I was before, whether doing what I was doing before or doing the data security auditor thing. Oh, right, I get to pick which one I want because both teams are interested in me. Actively interested. Having an inside line to the hiring process sure does make my resume more enticing.

The word has gone out that this is done. It's literally official communication of where I want to go, and then paperwork. I have it.

Learned a bit more about the company too: VERY excited to work for them, literally doing stuff I've been wanting done. There are better jobs, but with my history and who I am, I have no chance of getting them. This is the best I can aim for by a fair amount, second place is looking like 20/hr and this is at least 33/hr to start, /with/ the possibility of up to 38/hr starting.

That's a lot of money for me. I like the sound, for different reasons than standard.

The Gay Agenda: funding your friends' trips to The Gay Bar. I'll have to find one, but you had better believe I will.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Juana

Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2020, 10:07:19 PM
Quote from: Juana on March 04, 2020, 05:20:07 PM
Is the forum taking a long time to load for anyone else?

Here comes the inquisition.
I'm not seeing any slow down, if you want I can take a look, if so:
How are you accessing it, phone or desktop, if phone wifi or 3g?
Are you using https or plain http? What forum theme are you using?

Lmao, all good.

- phone, desktop (Chrome and Chrome OS, if that matters), WiFi (multiple networks), and 4G.

- HTTPS across the board. The theme that is supposed to be more mobile friendly bc I'm mostly a mobile user at this point.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Suu

Super not looking forward to any of my super expensive conferences to be cancelled because of Coronavirus.

They're still a couple months off, so I have time, at least for Kalamazoo. Oxford is a different animal since we're making an actual vacation of it, and have a crazy trip booked across Southern England.

Trying not to get my anxiety get the best of me with this, but I do need to sit down and get these papers written, nonetheless.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

The UK does seem to be taking the virus somewhat more seriously than the US.

While I can't guess how this will impact summer conferences, which are hugely profitable for our universities, I can say we are at least carrying out tests at a respectable rate. Not as good as South Korea (no-one is as good as South Korea) but it is at least being taken seriously by the government and NHS.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on March 06, 2020, 04:21:38 PM
The UK does seem to be taking the virus somewhat more seriously than the US.

While I can't guess how this will impact summer conferences, which are hugely profitable for our universities, I can say we are at least carrying out tests at a respectable rate. Not as good as South Korea (no-one is as good as South Korea) but it is at least being taken seriously by the government and NHS.

We'd like to take it seriously, but Mike Pence is trying to pray it away instead.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on March 05, 2020, 01:51:55 AM
Update!

This job is impressive. These jobs, I should say. Making more than double what I was before, whether doing what I was doing before or doing the data security auditor thing. Oh, right, I get to pick which one I want because both teams are interested in me. Actively interested. Having an inside line to the hiring process sure does make my resume more enticing.

The word has gone out that this is done. It's literally official communication of where I want to go, and then paperwork. I have it.

Learned a bit more about the company too: VERY excited to work for them, literally doing stuff I've been wanting done. There are better jobs, but with my history and who I am, I have no chance of getting them. This is the best I can aim for by a fair amount, second place is looking like 20/hr and this is at least 33/hr to start, /with/ the possibility of up to 38/hr starting.

That's a lot of money for me. I like the sound, for different reasons than standard.

The Gay Agenda: funding your friends' trips to The Gay Bar. I'll have to find one, but you had better believe I will.

That's great.  That's a pretty good dollar.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 07, 2020, 12:21:22 AM
Quote from: altered on March 05, 2020, 01:51:55 AM
Update!

The word has gone out that this is done. It’s literally official communication of where I want to go, and then paperwork. I have it.

Learned a bit more about the company too: VERY excited to work for them, literally doing stuff I’ve been wanting done. There are better jobs, but with my history and who I am, I have no chance of getting them. This is the best I can aim for by a fair amount, second place is looking like 20/hr and this is at least 33/hr to start, /with/ the possibility of up to 38/hr starting.

That’s a lot of money for me. I like the sound, for different reasons than standard.

The Gay Agenda: funding your friends’ trips to The Gay Bar. I’ll have to find one, but you had better believe I will.

That's great.  That's a pretty good dollar.

Yep. I have pressure from one of the roommates saying I might be on the streets before the training even starts for it all, but if I can dodge that fate I can give this roommate the double finger, take my router (“oh you want internet? Haha funny”) and get an apartment I can put my friend up in so he doesn’t have to be around roommates who want to party till 5AM and don’t care if he needs to work in the morning.

I might be nocturnal but I’m at least goddamned polite about it.

EDIT: The hunt is on for a situation from the 18th to first paycheck, because the roommate wants hard copy paperwork proof I have a job lined up, and refuses to change her mind on the date anyway? Fuck her. The only point of wanting the paperwork if she’s not going to do anything differently is to accuse my friend of lying so I don’t go to the streets, which manages to be offensive as fuck to literally everyone involved for the sake of being offensive to literally everyone. No other fucking point in asking for paperwork you will fucking ignore.

I have a special plan for her.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on March 07, 2020, 02:48:23 AM
Try not to burn bridges, unless you have no choice.  Use remotely-detonated mines, instead.  It's funnier.

Good luck.  You can do this.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 10, 2020, 01:22:19 PM
Quote from: altered on March 07, 2020, 02:48:23 AM
Try not to burn bridges, unless you have no choice.  Use remotely-detonated mines, instead.  It's funnier.

Good luck.  You can do this.

This is a careful situation, because there is a lovely demon cat involved that I want ONLY the best for. For all his faults, he is one of my favorite cats in a lifetime of good cats.

This vengeance has to have devastating effect, incalculable fallout, and absolutely no unintended consequences. It will be a vengeance lovingly crafted, intricate and irreplaceable, like a Swiss watch.