News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Slightly in Shock

Started by B_M_W, April 08, 2005, 02:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

A lot of people go around saying stuff life "I haven't touch so and such since I was 18 or 19 or whatever and then say that they are still that much old.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Burning Trees

Who are these freaks? We'll fix that.
Someone should give you an award.

Great Teacher Largo

What I really hate, is when you're on a date with a girl, and you're necking in the back seat of the car, or the park bench, or someplace, and suddenly she goes, "Stop, I'm seventeen," and you just up and say, "If you're fucking sixteen why did you give me your goddamn phone number at a 21/+ concert where you were drinking like a fish!?"

And then she gets pissed off you don't return her calls.

That's what I love.  People who don't understand other peoples' desires to stay out of jail.
"Any sufficiently tentacled spheroid is indistinguishable from the Great Cthulhu." -- Watashi

"Never attribute to Cthulhu what can adequately be explained by Dagon." -- Miskatonic Razor

"Everything but Sterility can be inherited.  None of your direct ancestors died childless." -- Red Queen

Note to filmmakers of the future: bad dialog leads to anger, bad directing leads to hatred, shallow action sequences lead to suffering. Farming out a movie to a corporation of computer animators is a path to the dark side of filmmaking.

High Inquisitor of the LMNO Society of Discordians (LSD)

It is dark.  You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

This Poster is Owned and Operated by the Frobozz Magic Co., Ltd.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

You mean you can't tell by looking at them?

Great Teacher Largo

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCYou mean you can't tell by looking at them?

If someone is at a 21/+ Concert, drinking alcohol, I assume they are 21/+.
"Any sufficiently tentacled spheroid is indistinguishable from the Great Cthulhu." -- Watashi

"Never attribute to Cthulhu what can adequately be explained by Dagon." -- Miskatonic Razor

"Everything but Sterility can be inherited.  None of your direct ancestors died childless." -- Red Queen

Note to filmmakers of the future: bad dialog leads to anger, bad directing leads to hatred, shallow action sequences lead to suffering. Farming out a movie to a corporation of computer animators is a path to the dark side of filmmaking.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: Great Teacher Largo

Assumption =  mother of all fuck-ups

Great Teacher Largo

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Assumption =  mother of all fuck-ups

I never assume.  It makes an ass out of you and I.

Burning Trees

You just said you do when it works to your advantage.
Someone should give you an award.

Great Teacher Largo

Quote from: Burning TreesYou just said you do when it works to your advantage.

No, I trust the bouncers can do their god damn job and tell a fake ID from a real one.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCRemember that at one time the flu was very deadly and scared people all the time...and that was because the flu actually had outbreaks and epidemics.

Ebola hasn't been very widespread. In fact, it's been disappointing.

No.  We have been uncommonly lucky.  If the flu had been Airborne when it had been first encountered, that probably would have been it for humanity.

umm...OK, you just officially climbed on the short bus with taht statement...

if the flu had been airborne? how do you think it spread? did people go around licking each other's tongues or something? dude, it's not cool to spout off on shit to try to make yourself look knowledgeable when you actually have no fucking clue what you're talking about, especially when those you're debating with do know what they're talking about.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also, speaking as someone who spent years working as a bouncer at establishments ranging from classy beachside bars in Venice Beach to uber-sleazy strip joints in Greater Detroit, I can assure you taht there are a large number of establishments out there whose bouncers are instructed not to card attractive girls as long as they look like they could possibly be something close to 21. It's good for business to have them in the place.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anonymous

Quote from: Se?±or Misterioso
Quote from: Irreverend Hugh, KSCRemember that at one time the flu was very deadly and scared people all the time...and that was because the flu actually had outbreaks and epidemics.

Ebola hasn't been very widespread. In fact, it's been disappointing.

No.  We have been uncommonly lucky.  If the flu had been Airborne when it had been first encountered, that probably would have been it for humanity.

umm...OK, you just officially climbed on the short bus with taht statement...

if the flu had been airborne? how do you think it spread? did people go around licking each other's tongues or something? dude, it's not cool to spout off on shit to try to make yourself look knowledgeable when you actually have no fucking clue what you're talking about, especially when those you're debating with do know what they're talking about.

He is one stupid son of a bitch.

B_M_W

Okay...went away for half a day and I have no Idea where this all went. I think I will start with diseases then.

To Eric: Flu was probably one of the worst plagues in the last 2000 years, up there with Smallpox. Ebola is basically nothing compared to those two.

And dude? Where did you learn about biological immunity and resistance?

Okay, because you obviously don't know much about it, let me give you an example using something most people know: Antibiotics.

When you take antibiotics, you don't really kill all of the bacteria. Some will always survive to clone more bacteria. Why? Because they have traits that makes then physically immune to the specific chemicals in the antibiotics. On a side note, this is one of the reasons you should not just take antibiotics for every sickness that hits you, cause you are essentially breeding a super-clone race of bacterium who are now stronger than before.

Now to apply this Idea to humans. Lets use something easy, say, Influenza. When a large population of humans is introduced to a strong version of influenza, like there was in the past, there will be a small amount of the population that will be genetically resistant and possibly immune to the chemicals that the virus produces to enter cells and clone itself. That part of the population will survive to breed. In which case their children will most likely have that trait even stronger, as both parents carry it. In the end, the surviving race of humans become much like the "clone-army" of bacterium. It only looks like the virus has mellowed out, in truth, we have just become resistant. Same for the Black Plague. And I didn't even mention the inclusion of antibodies in mothers milk or the crossover of memory leukocytes during pregnancy.

Humans would NOT be destroyed by a massive plague, not with 6.3 billion people in the diverse gene pool. They would only be made stronger.

~BMW
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Anonymous

Hint to retard:

Viruses and bacteria are different types of organisms.

Daven

Just to put my $0.02 into the mix, Measles.

Deadly, fatal a century ago.  Minor nusience now.

Polio:  Deadly a century ago, vaccine now.
Smallpox:  Fatal a century ago, eradicated (except for a few scattered frozen samples) now.
Chicken Pox:  Fatal
Mumps:  Fatal (and a cause of sterility)

The so called "Child hood diseases" aren't called that because you get them in childhood, it's called that because you have a massive chance of survival IF you get them during childhood.  Those same diseases are fatal in adults.

Now, to argue the other side:  I had heard of ONE girl who lived through ebola, small child who had an active immune system.  I THOUGHT I had heard a rumor of another child surviving AIDS, the full blown no T-cell count thing.  I could very well be wrong since I don't pay attention.

To the original poster, you did a good job.  Feels nice don't it?  Had that happen a few times to me.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

"My god carries a hammer.  Your god died nailed to a cross.  Any questions?"
"He's your god, they're your rules, YOU burn in hell."