News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

My art is tehpwn!

Started by Gimoz, August 23, 2005, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gimoz

Are you calling me an oxygen moron??

BADGE OF HONOR

No, I'm calling you an ox-like moron.  It's like oaf, but longer.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

Quote from: ataraxiaIt appears we were having a vocabulary mismatch.
My usage was:
goth = highschooler that dresses in all black, wears too much makeup, writes bad poetry, mopes, and hangs around in Hot Topic.
emo = same metal thing and behavior, but dresses "normally".

I've never known any "real" goths, only posers.

Where you livin', boy?

Y'all needs to git yerself culturzized.

I totally agree with your observation of young goth culture, my point is that goths came first, is all.

Oh, and "Goth Poser" is actually redundant, in that all goths begin and end as posers, it's just that somewhere in the middle, they usually get wrapped up in "the scene".

LMNO
-A poser at the post-goth end of the scale.

the other anonymous

THERE IS NO MUSIC BUT PJ HARVEY!! ALL YOUR GENRE ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Seriously: grunge kicks emo's, goth's, and punk's asses!

LONG LIVE KURT CO--- oh shit. Nevermind...

[edit: The only real goths are the ones that commited suicide. I knew this girl -- she's in Europe now -- but her father was an alcoholic fireman so she got shit and the cop's were friends with her dad. I could tell when and how often he got drunk just by noticing when she showed up with bandages on her wrists and a new revelation from her god. (Seriously: she was all messiah-complex and stuff.)]

LMNO

Did you just say that PJ Harvey is Grunge?

::smacks TOA with the John Parish discography::

WAYSA?

the other anonymous

Quote from: LMNODid you just say that PJ Harvey is Grunge?

::smacks TOA with the John Parish discography::

WAYSA?

JOHN PARRISH IS YOKO ONO!!!

Dry, ROM, 4TD all rocked (Legs, Snake, M-Bike, Yuri-G, etc). TBYML was good. DHALP, ITD, SFTCSFTS are all garbage except for Joy on ITD.

And "Uh Huh, Her", with its bitter "Fucks", definitely sounds like she broke up with someone. And guess who isn't listed as writer/producer in the liner notes?

WAYSA, LMNO?

[edit: Yea, I know I misspelled his name. Fuck him. Who the fuck does he think he is? Get the fuck out of her head.]

LMNO

Yeah, but "grunge"?

LMNO
-Thinks you missed the point of my smackage.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

TOA misses all sorts of stuff, its one of the drawbacks of being borderline retarded.

On an unrelated note: GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I HATE RINGTONES!

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Now that I think about it... That's totally related..

Maybe full-blown retarded though.....

ataraxia

Quote from: LMNO
Quote from: ataraxiaIt appears we were having a vocabulary mismatch.
My usage was:
goth = highschooler that dresses in all black, wears too much makeup, writes bad poetry, mopes, and hangs around in Hot Topic.
emo = same metal thing and behavior, but dresses "normally".

I've never known any "real" goths, only posers.

Where you livin', boy?

Y'all needs to git yerself culturzized.

I totally agree with your observation of young goth culture, my point is that goths came first, is all.

Oh, and "Goth Poser" is actually redundant, in that all goths begin and end as posers, it's just that somewhere in the middle, they usually get wrapped up in "the scene".

LMNO
-A poser at the post-goth end of the scale.
Hey, I've been too busy going to work and thinking deep thoughts for the past 8 years or so. I have never been part of anything that could reasonably be called a "scene".

And if you want to talk music, then I must confess that the closest I come to Goth stuff is some recent metal and a fine old album from like '83 (Cocteau Twins, Treasure).
Lossage, sausage, whatever.
http://scoriens.andrew.cmu.edu/

BADGE OF HONOR

QuoteAnd if you want to talk music, then I must confess that the closest I come to Goth stuff is some recent metal and a fine old album from like '83 (Cocteau Twins, Treasure).

That's the year I was born.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

ataraxia

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God
QuoteAnd if you want to talk music, then I must confess that the closest I come to Goth stuff is some recent metal and a fine old album from like '83 (Cocteau Twins, Treasure).

That's the year I was born.
You are teh youngster!!!11!!1

Yeah, well, I didn't discover that music until 3 years ago or such myself.
Lossage, sausage, whatever.
http://scoriens.andrew.cmu.edu/

The Doctor

I thought emo was for kids who wanted to look goth but had no clue what being goth meant.

::shakes head:: Silly humans....
Priest, Church of Eris

-
Support A Cure For Ribbons!

Funny little human brains, how do you get around in them?

the other anonymous

Quote from: LMNOYeah, but "grunge"?

LMNO
-Thinks you missed the point of my smackage.

I think I have a more inclusive definition of grunge. I use it to mean "alternative music that doesn't suck" even though I understand the geneology of dada->punk->grunge where grunge is merely anti-FameRock (hair bands, et al).

I was introduced to PJH around the same time I discovered Nirvana (after Kurt died). For a while 4TD was the only disc I had. Therefore, in my mind, she's lumped in with grunge (though she's mostly GlamRock thanks to John Passhole). The only thing that really seperates 4TD from grunge is that the reverb and feedback is replaced with a metronome. (And PJ can sing. Man, the things she can do with her throat... :D)

LMNO

You don't want to get me or ECH started on the whole "grunge" thing (covered in another thread).

But if you want your personal definition of "grunge" to be "commercialized 'alternative' music as set apart from Color me Badd and Guns & Roses", then i won't begrudge you that.