News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Well, that's gonna put a fucking damper on things

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Dude, I wish I had an answer for you.  You're so particularly suited to what you are already doing, that I'm having a brainfart thinking past you not being able to do it anymore.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: navkat on March 22, 2011, 07:36:29 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: navkat on March 22, 2011, 03:23:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 21, 2011, 05:30:44 PM

Somewhere horrible, but not too large.

LIKE NEW ORLEANS.

You should watch Steven Seagal: Lawman. Technically Jefferson Parish (Westbank, not Orleans Parish) but you DO get to watch him pop off some nutria in episode 09 of season 01.

Anyway, working in NOLA would make it possible for you to continue the "lifestyle to which you are accustomed." Also: I'll be living there in a year or so.

Why the hell would anyone go "Yay, a flood plain; I think I'll go live on it"?

Padonnen m', tiffi...

Your statement reveals some ignorance on your part. It's not really your fault: there's a lot misconception about:
1. What caused the Katrina Disaster and
2. The value of New Orleans in general.

Let's start with 1. the Great Flood of 2005 was a man made disaster.

While it's true that New Orleans is basically below sea-level, she has historically been protected from hurricane and surge waters by vast wetlands. This swamp works to guard the city from surging water, but also slows down the actual speed of the hurricane itself as it begins to make landfall over the wetlands. There's a figure running around that says basically every one mile of swamp slows a hurricane down by 2 knots :cn:.

in the 1950s, the Fed approved the creation of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO or "Mister-GO") Intracoastal Waterway canal. Long story short, they basically dug a ginormous T-shaped canal into the land and swampland that connects Lake Pontchartrain to the Gulf to the Mississip'. Addistionally, they dug a bunch of canals into the geography at the north side of NOLA where she meets Lake Pontchartrain.

This had two effects: first, the obvious; all of the seawall breaches were at man-made canal points. Second: the use of the canals themselves disturbed the protective swampland and broke up the density and ecosystem of miles and miles. The eventual result was that it created a perfect "funnel" effect in many places--the most profound "point" of which cut right into the New Orleans East section of MRGO which forks right along the area between the 7th and 8th wards.

2. New Orleans one the oldest cities in the US (it pre-dates New York...and even the 13 colonies of the US itself) and is a living, breathing national treasure. It is a city greater than merely its congregation of preserved Creole, Acadian, Spanish, Hatian and French parts. It's the very birthplace of the first and only truly American-invented music style, It was (despite its status as a slave port) the only place in the South resistant among its people to inequality among blacks and whites until long after the Louisiana Purchase and considered its colored Creole peoples to posses a status above "white Yankee" until long after segregation and Jim Crowe thinking took hold of the South (don't believe me? wiki "creole" sometime). The Port of New Orleans was and remains an integral part of the shipping industry--its location at the base of the only major body of water that runs through the body of the continent.

Blowing off New Orleans as just a bunch of stupidly-located people who don't have the good sense to get their asses off a flood-plain is to not really comprehend the picture. To take an abandonment stance is to fail to recognize, say, San Francisco as being "worth the money" of saving and it is committing an inadvertent act of culturcide/genocide-through-displacement no different than what the Federal Government has already done to the Native American Indians.

That said, I think you should go sometime. I think you're one of the types of people in this world who are of the right intelligence and mindframe to really "get it" if you go. I do believe you'd have a hell of a time.

While I agree with much of your post, I have to take issue with 2 things:

Jazz is NOT the only american-born form of music. Blues and Hip-Hop are both born-and-bred American as well, and neither came from New Orleans.

Port Fourchon (which is, IRRC, the 4th busiest port in the world in terms of total tonnage) is not actually in or even near New Orleans, and would still be there even if the city were depopulated.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 22, 2011, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Also, if everyone relocated away from all of the really dangerous natural disasters, everyone would basically be living in the Northwest and the Northeast.

I don't want any more neighbors.  I like my space.  

Eh, not the NW. We're slated for earthquake catastrophe and it's going to be ugly, Japan-style, plus we have Hanford. If you want to be freaked out by the sheer potential, look it up.

But I was born here. I am not questioning people who live in an area they were born and raised... I'm asking why you would be all, "shit, I've always wanted to try meth, why not?"

I wonder the same fucking thing about people who move to Portland. Seriously, guys, we're all gonna die in a really messy and unpleasant way. Why would you move here on purpose?

Isn't Hanford decommissioned?

No wait, let me guess, the site was decommissioned because its full to bursting with nuclear waste that there's no proper dump site for.

It is decommissioned in the sense that they no longer make plutonium for nuclear weapons there. however, it's also the single most contaminated superfund site in the US, and will probably be so for another couple thousand years.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

And the thread is straying. I don't care about where natural disasters are more likely or which cities we should abandon, unless it's relevant to a potential new career path for me.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 22, 2011, 09:40:43 PM
And the thread is straying. I don't care about where natural disasters are more likely or which cities we should abandon, unless it's relevant to a potential new career path for me.

I was being serious.  Distill spirits.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 22, 2011, 09:39:23 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 22, 2011, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Also, if everyone relocated away from all of the really dangerous natural disasters, everyone would basically be living in the Northwest and the Northeast.

I don't want any more neighbors.  I like my space.  

Eh, not the NW. We're slated for earthquake catastrophe and it's going to be ugly, Japan-style, plus we have Hanford. If you want to be freaked out by the sheer potential, look it up.

But I was born here. I am not questioning people who live in an area they were born and raised... I'm asking why you would be all, "shit, I've always wanted to try meth, why not?"

I wonder the same fucking thing about people who move to Portland. Seriously, guys, we're all gonna die in a really messy and unpleasant way. Why would you move here on purpose?

Isn't Hanford decommissioned?

No wait, let me guess, the site was decommissioned because its full to bursting with nuclear waste that there's no proper dump site for.

It is decommissioned in the sense that they no longer make plutonium for nuclear weapons there. however, it's also the single most contaminated superfund site in the US, and will probably be so for another couple thousand years.

speaking of that...nuclear waste disposal pays very well

pH

Distilling spirits sounds good, but what kind of money could you make off it? In addition to the fact that working it even as a local brewery selling microbrews requires a commercial space with all kinds of specific requirements the have to be met, on top of the apparatus itself.

This is a distraction.

QuoteTOMAHAWKS

Kurt Christ

You could open a medical marijuana dispensary somewhere. I think I remember you saying you've dealt in the past, but I don't know if you've grown. It sounds like you could get the startup capital without too much difficulty from what you've said about your ability to pay for training.

You said you don't like math- how do you feel about biological and health sciences? Nursing is a valid option, as others have mentioned.

If you're okay with biology and chemistry, maybe look into pharmacy.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

East Coast Hustle

Nursing requires making idiots not die, so that's right the fuck out the window. Also doesn't pay enough.

I have, actually, a standing offer to buy in as a partner in a fairly successful medical marijuana business but it is contingent upon me moving to Vantucky (Vancouver, WA) because I'd need to be a WA resident to do it legally and because they want me to help them capture the Clark County, WA segment of the Portland Metro area. I've been thinking this over, but I'm not stoked about the idea of moving across the river to Methcouver.

I could actually get a job at Hanford doing the nuke waste disposal thing. One of my best friends was a supervisor there for a while and made killer money. Said the job was easy as hell, too. But after he'd worked there for 4 or 5 years, his doctor told him he had a choice between quitting that job for good or having children with horrifying birth defects. Not sure that's a deterrent for me, but I also don't think I want to live in the Tri-Cities. I made too much of a name for myself out there in my youth and now all those former enemies are cops and city councilmen.

So far, I'm leaning towards law school. I'd seriously consider being a cop, but I have trouble imagining that they wouldn't see a scumbag like me coming from a mile away.

Salty

I would think you'd enjoy having private detective/security provider more than being a cop. No bosses breathing down your neck, more distance between you and the inherent, raw dickishness of institutionalized assholes. Plus, more or less your own schedule, the work would be as exciting or as boring as you could make it, and you can do it anywhere.

You seem to have the savvy, work ethic and potential for inflicting brute force or finesse as needed that I imagine such work would require.

OR:

Batman.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

pH

As far as law enforcement, security, etc. goes, they wont be too concerned about how you look, although theyll probably have a problem if you have any kind of record.
Now, you could make a killing installing security systems, you can do everything at somewhere like a 5000% markup, and thats standard.
This is a distraction.

QuoteTOMAHAWKS

Bruno

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 22, 2011, 09:40:43 PM

At first I thought:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/smokejumpers/

But then a quick search seemed to indicate that people who parachute into forest fires don't get paid as much as you might think.
Formerly something else...

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: pH on March 22, 2011, 09:49:15 PM
Distilling spirits sounds good, but what kind of money could you make off it? In addition to the fact that working it even as a local brewery selling microbrews requires a commercial space with all kinds of specific requirements the have to be met, on top of the apparatus itself.

Depends on where you are.  Beer and Wine brewing in Washington is not nearly as regulated as it is in many other places.  Although hard liquor is regulated out the ass.  I don't know about Oregon, but considering Portland has more Breweries than any city in the world it can't be too bad.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on March 22, 2011, 07:36:29 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: navkat on March 22, 2011, 03:23:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 21, 2011, 05:30:44 PM

Somewhere horrible, but not too large.

LIKE NEW ORLEANS.

You should watch Steven Seagal: Lawman. Technically Jefferson Parish (Westbank, not Orleans Parish) but you DO get to watch him pop off some nutria in episode 09 of season 01.

Anyway, working in NOLA would make it possible for you to continue the "lifestyle to which you are accustomed." Also: I'll be living there in a year or so.

Why the hell would anyone go "Yay, a flood plain; I think I'll go live on it"?

Padonnen m', tiffi...

Your statement reveals some ignorance on your part. It's not really your fault: there's a lot misconception about:
1. What caused the Katrina Disaster and
2. The value of New Orleans in general.

Let's start with 1. the Great Flood of 2005 was a man made disaster.

While it's true that New Orleans is basically below sea-level, she has historically been protected from hurricane and surge waters by vast wetlands. This swamp works to guard the city from surging water, but also slows down the actual speed of the hurricane itself as it begins to make landfall over the wetlands. There's a figure running around that says basically every one mile of swamp slows a hurricane down by 2 knots :cn:.

in the 1950s, the Fed approved the creation of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO or "Mister-GO") Intracoastal Waterway canal. Long story short, they basically dug a ginormous T-shaped canal into the land and swampland that connects Lake Pontchartrain to the Gulf to the Mississip'. Addistionally, they dug a bunch of canals into the geography at the north side of NOLA where she meets Lake Pontchartrain.

This had two effects: first, the obvious; all of the seawall breaches were at man-made canal points. Second: the use of the canals themselves disturbed the protective swampland and broke up the density and ecosystem of miles and miles. The eventual result was that it created a perfect "funnel" effect in many places--the most profound "point" of which cut right into the New Orleans East section of MRGO which forks right along the area between the 7th and 8th wards.

2. New Orleans one the oldest cities in the US (it pre-dates New York...and even the 13 colonies of the US itself) and is a living, breathing national treasure. It is a city greater than merely its congregation of preserved Creole, Acadian, Spanish, Hatian and French parts. It's the very birthplace of the first and only truly American-invented music style, It was (despite its status as a slave port) the only place in the South resistant among its people to inequality among blacks and whites until long after the Louisiana Purchase and considered its colored Creole peoples to posses a status above "white Yankee" until long after segregation and Jim Crowe thinking took hold of the South (don't believe me? wiki "creole" sometime). The Port of New Orleans was and remains an integral part of the shipping industry--its location at the base of the only major body of water that runs through the body of the continent.

Blowing off New Orleans as just a bunch of stupidly-located people who don't have the good sense to get their asses off a flood-plain is to not really comprehend the picture. To take an abandonment stance is to fail to recognize, say, San Francisco as being "worth the money" of saving and it is committing an inadvertent act of culturcide/genocide-through-displacement no different than what the Federal Government has already done to the Native American Indians.

That said, I think you should go sometime. I think you're one of the types of people in this world who are of the right intelligence and mindframe to really "get it" if you go. I do believe you'd have a hell of a time.

I could give as much of a flying fuck about this as about the zoo bear that died that everybody is boo-hooing about.

So New Orleans is neat.

SWELL.

I still don't get why anyone is gung-ho to move there. this, if you have a couple of brain cells to rub together, is different from advocating abandonment.

But then, I also don't get why people move to Portland in droves.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."