News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

I Write Like....

Started by Cramulus, July 13, 2010, 05:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Based on fairly large chunks of text: JK Rowling, Ian Fleming, Marget Atwood, HP Lovecraft, and James Joyce. I've never read Lovecraft or Joyce.  :?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cainad (dec.)

I got Stephen King a few times, Raymond Chandler once, and Jane Austen once. Never read any of them. :lulz:

Dimocritus

Using only rants I've posted in OKM, I've gotten J.K. Rowling, Stephen King and Dab Brown. Do not like...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

President Television

I ran a few things of mine through. My results:

Stephen King
Margaret Atwood
Stephen King
HP Lovecraft
Margaret Atwood
Dan Brown :(

So I guess I write like Margaret Atwood.

I have never read anything by Atwood.

EDIT: I posted some text from an MSN convo with a friend and apparently I was writing like Vladimir Nabokov. The guy who wrote Lolita.  :|
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cramulus

remember that the style of the person's writing may not have anything to do with the content... just because it says you write l like Stephen King doesn't mean you spend six pages describing somebody's medicine cabinet.

I do wonder what the algorithm is. I would guess some readability index like the Flesch–Kincaid Grade Level is involved. Computers can easily calculate those things. In case you're curious...

FKRA = (0.39xASL) + (11.8xASW) − 15.59

Where, FKRA = Flesch-Kincaid Reading Age

ASL = Average Sentence Length (i.e., the number of words divided by the number of sentences)

ASW = Average number of Syllables per Word (i.e., the number of syllables divided by the number of words)

there are a number of readability indexes

you can test a chunk of text here: http://www.addedbytes.com/code/readability-score/

for example, my piece The Strange Times is apparently written at an 8th grade level  :lol:

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cramulus on July 14, 2010, 12:29:58 AM
remember that the style of the person's writing may not have anything to do with the content... just because it says you write l like Stephen King doesn't mean you spend six pages describing somebody's medicine cabinet.

I do wonder what the algorithm is. I would guess some readability index like the Flesch–Kincaid Grade Level is involved. Computers can easily calculate those things. In case you're curious...

ASL = Average Sentence Length (i.e., the number of words divided by the number of sentences)

ASW = Average number of Syllables per Word (i.e., the number of syllables divided by the number of words)

you can test a chunk of text here: http://www.addedbytes.com/code/readability-score/

for example, my piece The Strange Times is apparently written at an 8th grade level  :lol:

I wrote the entirety of '09 NaNoWriMo in Google Docs, which has the Flesch-Kincaid reability level included in their word count feature, which I would use frequently.  I cringed as the project went on and I saw the index plunge every day.  It started pretty high, and then, well.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

President Television

I don't mean to toot my own horn(obviously I do), but when I was in Grade 4 I was reading at a Grade 8 level. :)
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Golden Applesauce

I've always been suspicious of "reading level" formulas.  I put this post into the link you gave.  If you only include the main paragraph, you get

Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level - 88
Gunning-Fog Score - 92
Smog Index - 19
Automated Readability Index - 112
Coleman-Liau Index - 9 (pretty reasonable, actually.)

Now, that post is not the paragon of legibility, but run-on sentences do not require grade 80+ to decipher.  That's moronic.

I feel the need to devise my own index, now.  It should count clauses in sentences, and use frequency of words in common usage rather than multisyllableness.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 14, 2010, 12:52:25 AM
I wrote the entirety of '09 NaNoWriMo in Google Docs, which has the Flesch-Kincaid reability level included in their word count feature, which I would use frequently.  I cringed as the project went on and I saw the index plunge every day.  It started pretty high, and then, well.

No need to feel bad about that!  A lower reading level (should) means that your text is easier to understand.  People don't read books because slogging through sentences your sentences is difficult, but because they like the story.

Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on July 14, 2010, 12:57:41 AM

I don't mean to toot my own horn(obviously I do), but when I was in Grade 4 I was reading at a Grade 8 level. :)

Tested at "13+" in grade 4.  Where's that vuvuzela emote?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Johnny

But wait Cram, theres several things, your Strange Times scored a 69/100 in "readability", even do its "8th grade".
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 14, 2010, 02:19:08 AM
Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on July 14, 2010, 12:57:41 AM

Tested at "13+" in grade 4.  Where's that vuvuzela emote?

I guess it would be more "important" where you are at right now  :lol:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Im at 25%/100 readability, which is why im not sure the comparison to Joyce was a flattering one (considering i tested out an essay, not a short story or similar).

Grade level 18, so i guess i should have graduated college 2 years ago? FML for starting late.

-B.F. Skinner

Iason Ouabache

I got a whole lot of Margaret Atwood and Dan Brown. I wish they would actually explain why your style matches the particular author.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cramulus

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 14, 2010, 02:19:08 AM
Now, that post is not the paragon of legibility, but run-on sentences do not require grade 80+ to decipher.  That's moronic.

yeah, but your example is unrealistic. Nobody writes 80+ word sentences.

In the textbook industry, we use the grade index as a tool to hone writing to a certain difficulty level. For example, a third grade reading book will go from reading level 2.5 to 4 over the course of the year.

My company publishes ESL books, which are geared to be somewhat easier to read than the mainstream textbooks. Our level 5 book (for example) has roughly the same grade reading level as a 2nd grade mainstream book.

Doktor Howl

Dan Brown?

DAN FUCKING BROWN?

This is a joke, right?  They have about 5 authors listed, and they are assigned at random.  Cram, you slick bastard.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Huh, my social psych final had a Gunning Fog score of 14.  Which is more or less exactly the 'grade' I wrote it in.