News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Abortion is Murder

Started by hunter s.durden, January 10, 2008, 12:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter s.durden

That's right. I'm jumping on board. I believe that when you vacuum out that little ball of jelly, and throw it in the dumpster, you've committed murder.

You can fool yourself into believing that it isn't really alive so you can sleep well at night in your tower of moral superiority, but you're a murder. Even advocating the notion of legal abortion makes you an accessory to baby-murder. A little innocent bundle of miraculous joy  is dead because you want consequence free sex.

Let that sink in.

I am writing these things to call-out some hypocrisy. Recently I met a fellow revolutionary. He had ideas about changing the world. He wanted to tear down the "forces of old and evil" and make the world better. How would he do this? Not by defacing government vehicles and advertising boards. These were "fascist methods." He chose instead to harass the anti-abortion guy on the corner.

Each "side" (left and right) today has it's pet causes. Some of these are no-brainers to me. Protect the environment? Sounds like a no-brainer. Don't shit where you eat.

The anti-abortion cause? Look, I don't really know if that little thing is alive, but isn't there something good and pure about someone who is trying to prevent murder? I'm not talking about the fanatics and the bombers, but the sign holders and the rally starters. When someone does it for a death row inmate or a whale they are applauded for their sacrifice, but someone stopping baby murder is an evil fanatic? Doesn't make sense to me. I've seen stupider causes than saving babies.

Just keep some of this in mind if you ever get over-zealous with the pro-choice ferver. Not all of those freaks are trying to take away your right to choose. Some just like kids.
This space for rent.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, I like kids enough to have had three of them, and if I got pregnant again I wouldn't abort. I know the fetus is alive, and I know it's human... I just don't think it's a person. I think it's a potential person up until maybe four months. Who knows *when* it becomes a person... I can only imagine it's a gradual awakening. But I don't think killing a potential person is murder.

I respect people who believe that a fetus is a person from the beginning, but what I don't respect are people who say "Abortion is murder... oh, except in the case of rape or incest". I just don't get that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

As I referenced in this post, I have a roommate who recently became a vegetarian for rather hilarious reasons.

The other day, he asked me, "Do vegetarians eat eggs?"

"Hmmmm," I said, "Is an egg a living creature?"

"Well," he said, "I'm pro-choice."

"I guess you're safe then," I said.

That leads me to the conclusion that pro-choice people can eat fetuses and it's not cannibalism.

but to follow this to where you were actually going, Hunter, I don't shit on anybodies beliefs because my beliefs are kind of stupid. My only wish for humanity is that they could realize how idiotic and unimportant and totally irrelevant their beliefs are.

I mean srsly, if you were an educated dude in the 1850s, and posting on the internet, you wouldn't be arguing about creationism vs evolution (or whatever people yell about these days). You'd be arguing about equipotentiation vs localization of brain functions, or whether or not phrenology's empirical scientific support can / should be dismissed. Today people argue about equally irrelevant things, but they think they are important because people TODAY are all hot and bothered about those issues. But a hundred years from now, these arguments will be as idiotic as arguing whether you have five or seven chakras, or which particular imbalance of humors causes cholera. GET OVER IT SPAGS, people in the future already settled this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 10, 2008, 03:16:19 AM
As I referenced in this post, I have a roommate who recently became a vegetarian for rather hilarious reasons.

The other day, he asked me, "Do vegetarians eat eggs?"

"Hmmmm," I said, "Is an egg a living creature?"

"Well," he said, "I'm pro-choice."

"I guess you're safe then," I said.

That leads me to the conclusion that pro-choice people can eat fetuses and it's not cannibalism.

OK, wait though, that's sort of like arguing that you could eat a human kidney and it's not cannibalism because the kidney is not a person.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

okay wait - do pro-life vegetarians eat eggs?

edit: never mind that's a stupid question, they're chickens not people

edit2: I would eat human kidneys, but I also do not think cannibalism is wrong for any reason and in fact should be encouraged

Cain

That's assuming they're eating chicken eggs, and not human ones.

Also, I disagree with the entire premise of this thread. 

Jasper

I have to opt for pro choice, personally.  Choices are always preferable on basic principle, and I just plain value thinking creatures more than merely living matter.  The important things to recognize:

1. When you vote pro-life, you're not just giving your opinion.  You're telling others what to do.

2. Pro-life politics are a tool of politicians to get voted in by religious fundamentalists.  If you don't like the idea of abortions, don't have one.  

End tirade

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hope they invent vat meat and one of the options is "human".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 10, 2008, 12:16:32 AM
That's right. I'm jumping on board. I believe that when you vacuum out that little ball of jelly, and throw it in the dumpster, you've committed murder.

Yeah, but arguably, it's in self defense.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hunter s.durden on January 10, 2008, 12:16:32 AM

Just keep some of this in mind if you ever get over-zealous with the pro-choice ferver. Not all of those freaks are trying to take away your right to choose. Some just like kids.

Then they probably shouldn't get abortions.

Easy.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

I used to hide behind the fact that I was a male and told people that I therefore could have no useful opinion about abortion. That was bullshit and I knew it was but it spared me the trouble of explaining to people what I believe in spite of that excuse. I think abortion is incredibly unfortunate, and if you want to go so far as to call it "murder," fine. But you damn well better also include "unintentional civilian casualties" in your country's retarded war "murder" as well. And don't forget all the people in the world who die as a direct result of you not forcing your government's hand at improving their situation, whether it be famine or poverty or disease or whatever.

In any case, there is a lot of death in the world anyway, and a lot of it is unnecessary in my opinion, but that doesn't make it "wrong" or even unavoidable. In the case of abortion, you have to understand how incredibly rare it is that a woman uses it as a form of last-minute birth control. Women who undergo this procedure understand that it is incredibly frowned upon, even among many people who accept it; they stress over their decision and they in many cases live with a troubled conscience for years afterward, if not forever. These are thinking people with emotion, not murderers. These are people who, for the most part, feel that they have only one option. They know almost nobody will understand their choice, but they believe it is the only choice they have, and they make that choice because they have weighed all of the options they have as they understand them.

In a perfect world, abortion would not happen -- not because it would be illegal but because it would be unnecessary. In a perfect world, people would not be made to feel so ashamed of their natural instincts about and desire for sex that they avoid buying proper birth control. They would not feel so self-conscious about themselves that they must be borderline catatonic and unable to think clearly before they have sex with somebody.

But that is not the world we live in. We live in a world where people are going to end up needing abortions. And I think it should be an option, because we need to understand that it is going to happen whether it is illegal or not. The Religious Right doesn't care about that, of course. They just want it swept under the rug and forgotten about, like all social problems, so they can pretend Jesus really is capable of solving big problems.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 10, 2008, 03:32:29 AM

1. When you vote pro-life, you're not just giving your opinion.  You're telling others what to do.

Win.

Bharlion

It is only cannibalism if you know it is a person. Or if you enjoy it. Other wise it is just the "white pork special"
Okay, why not. Didn't want to die alone anyways.

tyrannosaurus vex

Many cannibal tribes refer to human meat as "long pig."
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Kimmy Gibbler

Quote from: vexati0n on January 10, 2008, 06:04:33 AM
Many cannibal tribes refer to human meat as "long pork shoulder."
KIMMY GIBBLER:  SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS