News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Prayers of the Faithful to The City

Started by Sister Fracture, May 14, 2011, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2012, 09:39:46 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 23, 2012, 09:12:27 PM
I smell "Book of Tuscon"

Careful, mister.

There has been a call for this, it's true.

I would posit, though, that it be relegated to restricted access until the would-be reader has proven that he has access to large quantities of medication.  There aren't really that many light-hearted Tucson writings.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 23, 2012, 09:43:10 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 23, 2012, 09:39:46 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 23, 2012, 09:12:27 PM
I smell "Book of Tuscon"

Careful, mister.

There has been a call for this, it's true.

I would posit, though, that it be relegated to restricted access until the would-be reader has proven that he has access to large quantities of medication.  There aren't really that many light-hearted Tucson writings.

Also, if you look too long into Tucson, Tucson looks into you.

And then it all ends in tears.
Molon Lube

Sister Fracture

Sometimes not even tears.  Just a spiraling loss of what is real and what is fiction.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

CorbeauEtRenard

I think "The Book of Tuscon" would need to be handled with a heavy dose of Lovecraft/Robert W. Chambers style.
The sort of thing where nobody who's directly read out of it is anything resembling reliable witness anymore so all the records are horrible anecdotes and observations of the effects it's had and the implication that being curious about it is evidence that it's already got its hooks in your brain and is trying to reel you in.
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: CorbeauEtRenard on February 23, 2012, 10:49:46 PM
I think "The Book of Tuscon" would need to be handled with a heavy dose of Lovecraft/Robert W. Chambers style.
The sort of thing where nobody who's directly read out of it is anything resembling reliable witness anymore so all the records are horrible anecdotes and observations of the effects it's had and the implication that being curious about it is evidence that it's already got its hooks in your brain and is trying to reel you in.

But it's not like that.  It's TOO real.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

I think there's a lot of potential in the idea, especially with the whole Giffords thing. It could be tacky and tasteless, but a lot of first generation spags were into all the JFK insanity and shoggoths in the pentagon type stuff.

LMNO

I really hope that people kept copies of their letters that Nigel requested. We need more content, but there's a good start.

"The Book of Portland" is also on the horizon, what with the bridges and the Topof the Bottom.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 23, 2012, 11:16:40 PM
I think there's a lot of potential in the idea, especially with the whole Giffords thing. It could be tacky and tasteless, but a lot of first generation spags were into all the JFK insanity and shoggoths in the pentagon type stuff.

The Giffords thing was a better representation of Tucson than JFK.  Guy heard voices, said he was going to kill someone.  Everyone ignored him.  Then he killed a bunch of people, and wounded Giffords.

There was never any mystery about it, no conspiracy.  Just a crazy guy.  Just a man off his meds, who listened to the people in his head who told him to Make Things Right.  Just a tiny sniff of Tucson, just a pinch between cheek and gum.

And the also-rans for the last election circled like vultures, but that's only to be expected.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 23, 2012, 11:16:40 PM

The Giffords thing was a better representation of Tucson than JFK.  Guy heard voices, said he was going to kill someone.  Everyone ignored him.  Then he killed a bunch of people, and wounded Giffords.

There was never any mystery about it, no conspiracy.  Just a crazy guy.  Just a man off his meds, who listened to the people in his head who told him to Make Things Right.  Just a tiny sniff of Tucson, just a pinch between cheek and gum.

And the also-rans for the last election circled like vultures, but that's only to be expected.

The bit where she's retiring to focus on getting better is also Tucson:

Decent human being does the best they can given circumstances.  Person must give in somewhere in order to continue existing ina  meaningful manner.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 24, 2012, 12:36:06 AM
I really hope that people kept copies of their letters that Nigel requested. We need more content, but there's a good start.

"The Book of Portland" is also on the horizon, what with the bridges and the Topof the Bottom.

Ooooh... there are many Portland stories. The Pipe and whatever that gruesomeness I was creeping myself out with a few months ago, and the bridges and the end of the world, and a whole bunch of amazing things TGRR wrote, and Old Weird Ben and whatnot. BTW, did I mention that my friend told me that he found something AMAZING that might explain what Old Weird Ben does with the cats? If I can find the thread, I'll tell the story.

Also, I see potential for a Book of Fresno.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

CorbeauEtRenard

I've occasionally contemplated doing something involving Nebraska (since "write what you know").

The catchiest riff I've come up with is that the reason hardly anybody who isn't from Nebraska or somewhere close to it can locate the state on a map is for the same reason your brain might refuse to acknowledge a rat corpse in your dresser when you're a kid. There's something wrong with us cornhuskers and the place we live. Something disturbing enough that your brain pretends we don't exist to protect you from the hazards of contemplating it. We're "fine" it because it's part of us. You can't see it because evolution selects against that sort of self-destructive behavior.

That or we really don't exist and the weird shaped spot on the map is just the irregular chunk that results from trying to map strange geometries onto an ordinary sphereoid. You don't remember it because it's not actually there.

Or because it's the main wide-scale test of the mind control satellites. The question is are they struggling to make you forget a place or gradually convincing you it actually exists?

:lulz:

Also, what's the only recent major pop-culture message mentioning Nebraska? That's right! A Lady Gaga song.
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)

Anna Mae Bollocks

Nebraska starts with "Neb". Like "nebulous".

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 24, 2012, 12:36:06 AM

I, also hope that people kept copies, because he has all those letters. It somehow never occurred to me that I wouldn't have access to them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

Mine was handwritten, but I took a picture.