News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

At Any Given Moment

Started by LHX, January 09, 2007, 12:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 17, 2007, 02:34:15 PM
If lying were an adaptation, and it was favorable to human survival, would then could we assume that eventually all honest humans will eventually be extinct? Or, maybe a more appropriate question, is there such a thing as an honest human?

And if they claim to be honest, they are probably lying to themselves.

hunter s.durden

I've never met a completely honest human.
I find it doubtful they exist.
This space for rent.

Triple Zero

[quote="nihilisticle]Take any measurement in any scientific model and you will have an irrational number.   If you come up with 4302894/123089333, I will say, "Get a better ruler."  Why is this so?  Because reality doesn't conform to stupid rules invented by humans 1000's of years ago.[/quote]

fuck that, irrational numbers are invented by stupid rules invented by humans 1000s (well, not 1000s, less even) of years ago.

you point me to the square root of two in nature, and i'll tell you "LOOK CLOSER".

irrational numbers only exist on paper, in our minds. Pi doesn't exist. Pi up to 51 decimals is enough to calculate the circumference of the known universe accurate up to the proton.

show me Pi, show the the square root of two, show me the real Golden Mean. you can approach them pretty close, but not arbitrarely so, and  they'll always be rational.

sorry dude, irrational numbers are nice to work with on paper, but they don't really exist.

[quote="verthaine"]Man is not the only animal adept at lying.
Many animals use camoflage as their survival mechanism.Whether hunting or avoiding being hunted,camoflage is an attempt to fool those around you by being seeming to be something that you are not.[/quote]

yea i thought this as well at first, but there's a difference between camouflage/mimicry and actual lying. the first one is developed on a generation-by-generation basis, because of natural selection. you either get born with camouflage or you don't, there's no choice about it.

actually telling a lie, is something you can develop/do in your own lifetime. and you can either do it or not. or you can do it a few times and decide not to do it anymore.

the octopus's camouflage is just a reaction to "i need to hide", then activating its camouflage skin colouring thing that it does.

chimps and dolphins can lie as well, because they also have self-consciousness (both chimps and dolphins can recognize their appearance in a mirror, as opposed to octopii afaik)

> Animals may not think like man,but that doesn't mean they can't
> think at all.

yes, except that you can draw distinctions in levels of thinking. there's instinct: simple reactions to the environment, consciousness (like a dog feeling pain or emotions at being left alone) and self-consciousness (thinking about oneself, recognizing yourself in a mirror, displaying targeted creative search for solutions, lying, thinking about what others might be thinking)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LHX

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 17, 2007, 02:34:15 PM
If lying were an adaptation, and it was favorable to human survival, would then could we assume that eventually all honest humans will eventually be extinct?  Or, maybe a more appropriate question, is there such a thing as an honest human?

it seems that after a certain climax, lying becomes a trait that is counter-survival

honest is the easiest thing to be

it takes a lot of time and attention to perpetuate a lie and avoid being exposed

in a environment that isnt protected by laws, what defense does a exposed liar have against the 'elements'?
neat hell

LHX

Quote from: triple zero on January 17, 2007, 02:57:19 PM
yea i thought this as well at first, but there's a difference between camouflage/mimicry and actual lying. the first one is developed on a generation-by-generation basis, because of natural selection. you either get born with camouflage or you don't, there's no choice about it.

actually telling a lie, is something you can develop/do in your own lifetime. and you can either do it or not. or you can do it a few times and decide not to do it anymore.

intense

nice summary
neat hell

B_M_W

Yeah, nice summary 000. Much better than my convoluted statement.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

AFK

bump.  But this is a good one and a good discussion that followed.  Also contains some of the "lie" discussions Kai mentioned in one of the other old threads. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.