News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

US government shutdown hilarity

Started by Cain, September 30, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2013, 05:14:24 PM
You should email him that, then turn up with a crutch, eyepatch and a baggy shirt (so you can hide an arm behind your back) and make him guess.

:lulz: You're on a roll lately.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Bu🤠ns

The Johnny

considering the two man con....

can this be a way to turn public opinion against the checks and balances style of three powers system by showing an example of its flaws ???

"we'd be better off having an autocrat" and all that ???

please, someone reassure me to put away my tinfoil hat and tell me this isnt the near future
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Johnny on October 02, 2013, 08:28:20 AM

can this be a way to turn public opinion against the checks and balances style of three powers system by showing an example of its flaws ???

please, someone reassure me to put away my tinfoil hat and tell me this isnt the near future

Considering both Obama and Bush have been disparaged as autocrats...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

-

Nephew Twiddleton

I remember people calling Bush Generalissimo, and Baggers seem to to be under the impression that Obama literally wants to be king. People here don't want that sort of thing if only because we know it might not be our party's guy next time. No we're interested in temporary sweeping powers that... Oh. Heh.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on October 02, 2013, 08:28:20 AM

My gut feeling is that we have another 7 years or so before that becomes a real concern.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sita

:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Kai

Had a moment this morning where I remembered that my research is NSF funded. Found out shortly after that the grant had been already disbursed before this went down, so my paycheck is not affected. But one of my colleagues will not be able to submit her Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant paperwork probably, since it's due next week. And a faculty member will have to take the place of a USGS worker at a professional meeting this weekend, because he can't attend. It's also a good thing I didn't plan my Smithsonian trip for any time soon.

We're mostly doing okay, though, compared to others. With the sequester and this shutdown, many biologists have lost an entire field season. And if you don't have the money to pay your grad students and postdocs, they don't tend to stick around.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

-

Cain

-

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 02, 2013, 09:44:56 PM
Obama just raised the stakes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24375591

QuoteUS President Barack Obama has warned Wall Street should be concerned that a conservative faction of Republicans are willing to allow the country to default on its debt.

He said he would not hold budget talks with Republicans until they allow the US government to reopen and pass a bill to raise the US borrowing limit.

Emphasis mine.

Well, why not?  It's already an observable fact that "cooperating" with the GOP means "Giving them everything they demand, for nothing in exchange".  If the strategy of being reasonable gets you walked on, change your strategy.

In addition, the shutdown is fucking the GOP up the ass.  They need to find a way out, and why should Obama let them out for free?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.