News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

St. Valentine was a pussy so you could get some.

Started by Suu, February 14, 2012, 02:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

:lulz: Yes indeed.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2012, 02:27:30 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 22, 2012, 02:26:47 AM
Ought to. Doesn't.

They have the power to do it.

Fucking bastards are probably getting kickbacks.  I know the border patrol down here is corrupt as fuck.
Yep. The sheriffs and such also have the power (and are also called in for the same purposes), but they *know* all the farmers, so they never do anything, either.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 22, 2012, 02:38:58 AM
:lulz: Yes indeed.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2012, 02:27:30 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 22, 2012, 02:26:47 AM
Ought to. Doesn't.

They have the power to do it.

Fucking bastards are probably getting kickbacks.  I know the border patrol down here is corrupt as fuck.
Yep. The sheriffs and such also have the power (and are also called in for the same purposes), but they *know* all the farmers, so they never do anything, either.

Sure.  They also "know" brown paper baggies full of Benjamin and his friends, once or twice a year.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Oh, there's that. But also they know each other personally a lot of the time, especially here in the Valley.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2012, 02:28:29 AM
You know, Garbo, it warms my black little cinder of a heart to know that when I finally keel over, you'll be there to carry on the horrible cynical end of things.

:lulz:

I know, right?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 22, 2012, 02:56:59 AM
Oh, there's that. But also they know each other personally a lot of the time, especially here in the Valley.

This is what I mean about Fresno. I think it might be the exact opposite of Tucson. Tucson is Our Lady's city. Fresno, though... Fresno is nothing if not the City of Bureaucracy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Yep. :lulz: And this, by the way, is literally the fault of a Nazi.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Juana

The abbreviated version: A German-American dude from the Bay Area named Karl Leonard Falk moved to Berlin in 1932, worked for Goebbels (directly) and Hitler until 1937, got a doctorate in Nazi Economics, was involved with the early stages of the Final Solution, urban renewal in Berlin, and helped shuffle the Jews into ghettos. He moved to Fresno in 1938 where he taught at my university for many years, and got into city planning/urban renewal here in the 50s and 60s with the intention of bringing government organizations to town to make Fresno a political heavyweight in California politics.

In doing so, Falk totally destroyed the entire downtown area and sent people and businesses north, as well as tearing out all the gorgeous old buildings and ethnic enclaves except Chinatown (we used to have a Little Armenia, Little Italy, and a few others) to make way for it. He succeeded in bringing a shit ton of government offices here, including the IRS and a number of others, which he housed in some horrifically grim looking buildings. If you ever look at Fresno's downtown skyline, you'll see what I mean. The courthouse and the jail loom over most of the other buildings (except for the Banker's Tower, which is really awesome) and the whole area oozes depression and desperation. It's been forty years, an downtown is just starting to show signs of actual life.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 22, 2012, 09:48:37 PM
The abbreviated version: A German-American dude from the Bay Area named Karl Leonard Falk moved to Berlin in 1932, worked for Goebbels (directly) and Hitler until 1937, got a doctorate in Nazi Economics, was involved with the early stages of the Final Solution, urban renewal in Berlin, and helped shuffle the Jews into ghettos. He moved to Fresno in 1938 where he taught at my university for many years, and got into city planning/urban renewal here in the 50s and 60s with the intention of bringing government organizations to town to make Fresno a political heavyweight in California politics.

In doing so, Falk totally destroyed the entire downtown area and sent people and businesses north, as well as tearing out all the gorgeous old buildings and ethnic enclaves except Chinatown (we used to have a Little Armenia, Little Italy, and a few others) to make way for it. He succeeded in bringing a shit ton of government offices here, including the IRS and a number of others, which he housed in some horrifically grim looking buildings. If you ever look at Fresno's downtown skyline, you'll see what I mean. The courthouse and the jail loom over most of the other buildings (except for the Banker's Tower, which is really awesome) and the whole area oozes depression and desperation. It's been forty years, an downtown is just starting to show signs of actual life.

That's really interesting! I had heard that "they" made Fresno "that way" on purpose... but I never knew exactly what that meant.

Juana

:D Isn't it? It explained so much when I first read up on it.

These, btw, are some of the buildings he's responsible for.
County courthouse:

which "replaced" this one in the 60s:

The world's most depressing county jail:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel