News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, January 20, 2010, 08:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

An Error Has Occurred!

The Johnny

Can i say, nethack at a macro level?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Reginald Ret

is dwarf fortress still a work in progress?
i looked into it years ago but it required a numpad and the former laptop did not has.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Requia ☣

I think DF will still be a work in progress in 40 years.  i should take another look at it now that it's SDL based (and thus much faster).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Template

Quote from: Regret on January 20, 2010, 04:38:01 PM
is dwarf fortress still a work in progress?
i looked into it years ago but it required a numpad and the former laptop did not has.

It is a functioning work in progress.  Like science, or Wikipedia.

Captain Utopia

Neat, I have to try that out.  I just started playing nethack again yesterday as it happens.

Also,  GoblinHack - a smooth scrolling ascii nethack-inspired game is lots of fun too, although I sort of prefer the turn-based limitless-time nature of nethack since I my reaction times aren't terribly fantastic.

Golden Applesauce

The next version of DF is likely to come out before March is through.  I'd recommend waiting till then if you want to try it - a lot of stuff is getting streamlined, and a lot of stuff is getting more Fun.  (in DF terminology, "Losing is Fun.", aka, more ways lose an entire fortress of dwarves.)

Right now the major problem is that the size of your fortress is basically limited by your processor.  As in, the game drops to 9-10 fps if you mine out a significant fraction of your mountain, or attempt to do any kind of hydro-engineering.  Apparently the game tries to keep every single object on the map in memory, so if you have 100 000 chunks of rock laying around, it keeps all of those loaded, and checks through the entire list when a dwarf needs something.  And if designate a large area to be deforested, or mined out, or what-have-you, it keeps every job in memory (which can easily be several thousand jobs, as it considers mining out a 50x50 area to be 2500 separate "mine this 1x1 tile" jobs) and apparently the computational complexity of "which tile should the dwarf mine next" is worse than O(n) or something.

But on the other hand, it has a thermodynamics engine.  As in, one day I was tired of all the random granite boulders laying around my fort (as it was choking up CPU time), so I opened up the clear-text data files, changed the boiling point of granite to 0K, and reloaded the game.  Every chunk of granite turned into "Vaporized Granite" or something, as I expected.  What I didn't expect was that every dwarf who was underground at the time would freeze solid, as the granite presumably lowered the ambient temperature into the lower Kelvins.  
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Oh, and it includes the rogue-like as a sub game.

You can build a fortress, or you can wander around as an adventurer (using the same game mechanics).  As an adventurer, you can explore abandoned fortresses (such as your own) and even bump into stuff like trade caravans hauling stuff away from one of your old fortresses.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: GA on January 21, 2010, 08:48:27 PM
But on the other hand, it has a thermodynamics engine.  As in, one day I was tired of all the random granite boulders laying around my fort (as it was choking up CPU time), so I opened up the clear-text data files, changed the boiling point of granite to 0K, and reloaded the game.  Every chunk of granite turned into "Vaporized Granite" or something, as I expected.  What I didn't expect was that every dwarf who was underground at the time would freeze solid, as the granite presumably lowered the ambient temperature into the lower Kelvins.  

:lulz: Oh that is rich. I may get a numpad for this laptop (fuck yuo, Apple! :argh!:) and try it out again.

NotPublished

Holy crap, thats alot of programming
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cainad on January 21, 2010, 09:34:47 PM

:lulz: Oh that is rich. I may get a numpad for this laptop (fuck yuo, Apple! :argh!:) and try it out again.

You can change all the key settings to avoid needing a numpad.

Soylent Green

The next version of DF is likely to come out before March is through.  I'd recommend waiting till then if you want to try it - a lot of stuff is getting streamlined, and a lot of stuff is getting more Fun.  (in DF terminology, "Losing is Fun.", aka, more ways lose an entire fortress of dwarves.)

Right now the major problem is that the size of your fortress is basically limited by your processor.  As in, the game drops to 9-10 fps if you mine out a significant fraction of your mountain, or attempt to do any kind of hydro-engineering.  Apparently the game tries to keep every single object on the map in memory, so if you have 100 000 chunks of rock laying around, it keeps all of those loaded, and checks through the entire list when a dwarf needs something.  And if designate a large area to be deforested, or mined out, or what-have-you, it keeps every job in memory (which can easily be several thousand jobs, as it considers mining out a 50x50 area to be 2500 separate "mine this 1x1 tile" jobs) and apparently the computational complexity of "which tile should the dwarf mine next" is worse than O(n) or something.

Things like this make me happy that I have 4 gigs of ram.

Triple Zero

So um what is this for sort of game? Sounds like SimNetHack Tycoon or something?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 25, 2010, 07:11:51 PM
So um what is this for sort of game? Sounds like SimNetHack Tycoon or something?

pretty  much.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

BabylonHoruv

I am officially addicted.  I love that all the parts that sell a game are complete shit (the graphics, the interface, the learning curve) and that it is so very complex underneath those ascii graphics.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl