News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Tumblr account of the year nominees:

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 08, 2014, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

It's a tricky one, I wont deny.

I'm probably horribly prejudiced because I cannot take any claims to being Otherkin seriously, as an example.  I think people who claim that don't actually "feel like [animal]" but strongly identity with their idea of what that animal is like.  I don't think it's actually possible for a human to feel they are a particular animal as an innate function, because our ideas about animals are formed by culture, interaction and learning. 

Which is why there are so many wolf-kin and virtually no shrew-kin.  To use a somewhat unfair example, trans people can and do experience dysphoria based on actually existing variations in human bodies.  While sometimes they are informed by culture and interaction in regards to gender, it's still a potential based in actually existing human experience (and I believe there is some evidence for gender dysphoria to have a biological basis).

I'd also differentiate Otherkin from shamanic and similar practices (a claim I sometimes see made) because those rituals are understood to be at least partly metaphor and symbolic, not reality.

So yeah.  Throw otherkin out the airlock.

LMNO

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote16. Female privilege being able to have an opinion without someone tell you you're just "a butthurt fedora-wearing neckbeard who can't get any."

I think I found the problem (s).

Edited for plural.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 08, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
Quote16. Female privilege being able to have an opinion without someone tell you you're just "a butthurt fedora-wearing neckbeard who can't get any."

Edited for plural.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 08, 2014, 05:41:52 PM
Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 08, 2014, 05:26:05 PM

Edited for plural.

When I got to that one, I was like, "ah, it all makes sense now."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Ben Shapiro

/J/ewcat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Edited for plural.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

FUNNIEST-YET-AWFUL RESPONSE TO A BACKHAND EVER:

Responding to a rather nasty comment from one of the mods of "thisisthinprivilege", guy says:

QuoteBigotry wears a lot of faces; yours has a double chin.

The Johnny

Why should we have to wear a uniform and a tag to identify ourselves, qnd cram ourselves into a box - while we can compartemantelize and shred ourselves into little pieces that we can put in a lot of little boxes?  :fnord: :fap:

(using more than three categories at least acknowledges th complexity of self, but then ruins it by pretending that catch words can synthetize properly that complexity to strangers that really dont care, and one just ends up looking like a crazy person... if someone actually cares, theyll get to know you and selfdetermine what categories are relevant to them, something as simple as what. music you like instead of if you are a cishet overlord, 23rd generation grandson of genghis khan or one twenthieth Siberian)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pæs

I just feel bad for using the term transpoor. I had to make sure I couldn't find anyone with loads of money who feels like they identify as someone in poverty after typing that word.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Transpoor is probably the funniest concept I've seen on that front, ever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It irritates me quite a bit that "trans" has become an attention-seeker prefix. And even more, because the general social embracing of trans* detracts so much from the general recognition of the harm of forcing people into social roles based on their anatomy.