News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

How to not fail at life

Started by Cramulus, April 26, 2010, 03:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Didn't want to dump a gigantic image wall in the pics thread. So I present to you this:

PART TWO

PART THREE

h-town

I think buying little resin figures of anime girls taking a shit on things and looking cute isn't that bad of an idea.

Source:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJfspM9qzyM

Requia ☣

taking a job in a call center is possibly the dumbest career move you can make.  There's no job stability of any kind (my roommate thought he could get around this by getting a job in a union call center, the company just got bought out.   There are now union and non union call centers, guess which one is getting the ax?), no real chance for advancement, and once you've taken a call center job, nobody but call center's will want to touch you, you make too much money for entry level jobs that have a future, and will be seen as a script monkey with no real skills by anybody looking to hire for in house jobs.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Remington

Quite possibly the only useful thing 4chan has ever produced  :lulz:

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 03:54:03 PM
taking a job in a call center is possibly the dumbest career move you can make.  There's no job stability of any kind (my roommate thought he could get around this by getting a job in a union call center, the company just got bought out.   There are now union and non union call centers, guess which one is getting the ax?), no real chance for advancement, and once you've taken a call center job, nobody but call center's will want to touch you, you make too much money for entry level jobs that have a future, and will be seen as a script monkey with no real skills by anybody looking to hire for in house jobs.
Yeah. I recommend the IT sector; most 4chan members would already have some minimal skills in that area.
Is it plugged in?

Cramulus

even a call center is better than no job though, right?

I particularly liked the bit about the human tribal dynamic. You're either a child, an adult, or an asshole!  :lulz:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I liked this. Although, the difference between a call center job and a paper hat job is that the paper hat job teaches you food service skills that might lead to you eventually getting a real food-service job, whereas the call center will just be miserable.

Also, I have never one time in my whole life, had a guy buy me an expensive gift before we were officially dating. Does that really happen?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 26, 2010, 05:24:52 PM
Also, I have never one time in my whole life, had a guy buy me an expensive gift before we were officially dating. Does that really happen?

Have you ever been the object of affection from an ubergeek?
I saw that as an initial strategy a few times from my HS circle.  generally doesn't work that great from what i saw....

Remington

I liked this. Although, the difference between a call center job and a paper hat job is that the paper hat job teaches you food service skills that might lead to you eventually getting a real food-service job, whereas the call center will just be miserable.

Nope.
Is it plugged in?

h-town

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 03:54:03 PM
taking a job in a call center is possibly the dumbest career move you can make.  There's no job stability of any kind (my roommate thought he could get around this by getting a job in a union call center, the company just got bought out.   There are now union and non union call centers, guess which one is getting the ax?), no real chance for advancement, and once you've taken a call center job, nobody but call center's will want to touch you, you make too much money for entry level jobs that have a future, and will be seen as a script monkey with no real skills by anybody looking to hire for in house jobs.

I've done telemarketing work between doing jobs that I'm proud enough to proclaim I'd done them on a resume. It was a formative experience because I was paid to develop my ability at foreign accents (which is still terrible and something I avoid during good times with friends.) I'd pretend to be a swede, afrikaan, mildly retarded, Jennifer Tilly, many permutations of good times @ 8.95 an hour + commission.

"Hello, it's Joey Stallin calling from ABR Cruise Lines... Do you still want that 3 day 2 night dream vacation to fort lauderdale florida AND a bonus tennis bracelet?  "

Requia ☣

I actually learned a ton of useful stuff at my first call center job (the second was useless script monkey work).  I really enjoyed it too, when the bosses weren't going out of their way to make the job miserable.  The problem is, nobody *believes* that what I did at that job gave me valuable experience.  I also got payed a hell of a lot more than any fast food job (it would be a decent living if the employment was steady, but layoffs are too common, and they like to fuck with your hours during the slow season).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on April 26, 2010, 05:27:29 PM

Have you ever been the object of affection from an ubergeek?
I saw that as an initial strategy a few times from my HS circle.  generally doesn't work that great from what i saw....

Ew. No.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've had friends go for the tech support/call center job thinking it would be some sort of "gateway" into computer work, which of course it's not at all, and if you want to develop programming skills the only way to do that is to learn programming and then do it. On the other hand, fast food gives you teamwork/customer service/food handling/retail experience points, which you can parlay into relevance for a number of different jobs if you're good at resume writing. Turnover is high in fast food, which means you may even have supervisory and/or accounting experience to put on your resume within a year. Coffee shops are also good for that.

Working somewhere for a full year is crucial at that stage, because it shows future prospective employers that you will stay with even the stereotypical suck job.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Call centers are just "experience" to put on paper, if someone wants to get into actual IT they need to also get some certifications. They are easy to obtain and not terribly expensive. A+ certification would be an OK start, and they should also get certifications in whatever they want to work in (Cisco for networking, Microsoft stuff for most business offices, etc.).

It helps if their call center job is at least tangentially related to what sort of tech work they want to do. At the end of the day, anyone can work at a call center (especially the low level stuff) as long as they're literate and can speak whatever language they're supposed to be supporting. A lot of IT jobs require a certain amount of experience, and call centers can actually work as a doorway in that respect.

NWC

ITT

Quote from: Remington on April 26, 2010, 04:18:11 PM
Quite possibly the only useful thing 4chan has ever produced  :lulz:

I like it. I don't actually know anyone who's in such a state that they would need this, but that's probably because those people don't get out much. Actually yeah I do know someone come to think of it, but I don't think his English is very good, otherwise I'd send him this.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED