News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

Night of Dissolution, a Ptolus campaign supplement for characters from level 4 to level 9. Monte Cook is a good storyteller, but his encounters are FUCKED. Just about every single one of the mini boss fights are epic difficulty (4-5 CR above the party's APL), and the bosses are fucking grossly unwinnable, so I have to rewrite most encounters to make them survivable, not just because they are in 3.5 format and I am running Pathfinder rules.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North Endâ„¢

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Just started Freakonomics.

Its been pretty interesting so far. I especially liked the part about asymmetrical information and the anecdote about the KKK and Superman.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 03, 2011, 06:05:19 PM
Night of Dissolution, a Ptolus campaign supplement for characters from level 4 to level 9. Monte Cook is a good storyteller, but his encounters are FUCKED. Just about every single one of the mini boss fights are epic difficulty (4-5 CR above the party's APL), and the bosses are fucking grossly unwinnable, so I have to rewrite most encounters to make them survivable, not just because they are in 3.5 format and I am running Pathfinder rules.

Go to Monte's forum and kick him in the junk?

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on February 04, 2011, 04:52:36 AM

Its been pretty interesting so far. I especially liked the part about asymmetrical information and the anecdote about the KKK and Superman.

What was the Assymetrical info bit? I remember Superman vs the Klan.

Reading 1001 Nights (Arbian Nights).
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 04, 2011, 06:02:17 AM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on February 04, 2011, 04:52:36 AM

What was the Assymetrical info bit? I remember Superman vs the Klan.

Reading 1001 Nights (Arbian Nights).

He talked about how people use their amount of information to their advantage against those who have little(asymmetrical information). The example he gives are insurance agents who use to great advantage the fact that you have no idea what the fuck is going on. He then points out how after the invention of the internet(thank you Al Gore) the price of Life Insurance plummeted. The reason? People could compare prices online, the real estate companies could no longer profit off of asymmetrical information.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Verbal Mike

A few days ago, I ordered both Freakonomics and One Country and have just started the latter. Judging by the introduction, I'm going to love it.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Juana

"Lies my Teacher Told Me" by James Lowen

I can't decide if I should laugh or scream about how fucking bad our history education is.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I recently read the novel Warghoul by heavy-metal singer Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus). It was really good.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Jasper

Glanced at that a couple years ago.  Recall liking it somewhat.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Hover Cat on February 06, 2011, 04:32:07 AM

I can't decide if I should laugh or scream about how fucking bad our history education is.

I read the blurb a while ago and got really excited about the ideas here.

I'm one of those whose knowledge of Helen Keller was, 'oh the disabled girl who wrote books or something' so that whole segment was fascinating.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Juana

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 13, 2011, 11:34:56 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on February 06, 2011, 04:32:07 AM

I read the blurb a while ago and got really excited about the ideas here.

I'm one of those whose knowledge of Helen Keller was, 'oh the disabled girl who wrote books or something' so that whole segment was fascinating.
It's really good so far. Unlearning some of what I was taught through the years and learning a whole lot more.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Wizard

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Not that bad so far.
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 15, 2011, 10:59:26 PM
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Not that bad so far.

It gets fairly brutal later on.

Now reading The Way of Kings.  The thing I like most about this book, so far, is the position of "King's Wit" that Sanderson has invented.  Since a king cannot just go around insulting people in his court, leading to bad feelings and aminosity, that is what the Wit is for.  He deflates egos that need to be deflated and mocks those whose actions inspire mockery.  In short, he is Court's very own internet troll.

The Wizard

QuoteNow reading The Way of Kings.  The thing I like most about this book, so far, is the position of "King's Wit" that Sanderson has invented.  Since a king cannot just go around insulting people in his court, leading to bad feelings and aminosity, that is what the Wit is for.  He deflates egos that need to be deflated and mocks those whose actions inspire mockery.  In short, he is Court's very own internet troll.

So like a fusion of King and Jester?
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Kinda, though this is the sort of jester who makes other people laugh at you, instead of himself.

An example:

Quote"Brightlord Sadeas" Wit said, taking a sip of wine.  "I'm terribly sorry to see you here."

"I should think," Sadeas said dryly, "that you would be happy to see me.  I seem to always provide you with so much entertainment."

"That is unfortunately true" Wit said.

"Unfortunately?"

"Yes.  You see, Sadeas, you make it too easy.  An uneducated, half-brained serving boy with a hangover could make a mock of you.  I am left with no need to exert myself, and your very nature makes a mockery of my mockery.  And so it is through sheer stupidity you make me look incompetent."

"Really, Elhokar," Sadeas said, "Must we put up with this...creature?"

"I like him," Elhokar said, smiling.  "He makes me laugh."

"At the expense of those who are loyal to you."

"Expense?" Wit cut in.  "Sadeas, I don't believe you've ever paid me a sphere.  Though no, please, don't offer.  I can't take your money, as I know many others you must pay to get what you wish of them."

Sadeas flushed, but kept his temper.  "A whore joke, Wit?  Is that the best you can manage?"

Wit shrugged.  "I point out truths where I see them, Brightlord Sadeas.  Each man has his place.  Mine is to make insults.  Yours is to be in-sluts."

Sadeas froze, then grew red-faced.  "You are a fool."

"If the Wit is a fool, then it is a sorry state for men.  I will offer you this, Sadeas.  If you can speak, yet say nothing ridiculous, I will leave you alone for the rest of the week."

"Well, I think that shouldn't be too difficult..."

"And yet you failed" Wit said, sighing.  "For you said 'I think' and I can imagine nothing so ridiculous as the concept of you thinking.  What of you, young Prince Renarin?  Your father wishes me to leave you alone.  Can you speak, yet say nothing ridiculous?"

Eyes turned towards Renarin, who stood just behind his brother.  Renarin hesitated, eyes opening wide at the attention.  Dalinar grew tense.

"Nothing ridiculous," Renarin said slowly.

Wit laughed.  "Yes, I suppose that will satisfy me.  Very clever.  If Brightlord Sadeas should lose control of himself and finally kill me, perhaps you can be King's Wit in my stead.  You seem to have the mind for it."