News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Luna

Crap.  120 pages to go through to compile a reading list...  This is gonna take awhile...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on February 16, 2011, 08:58:43 PM
Ha! Lovely. What's the author's name?

Brandon Sanderson.  His Mistborn trilogy is worth a read if you have the time, as well.

The Wizard

QuoteBrandon Sanderson.  His Mistborn trilogy is worth a read if you have the time, as well.

Thanks. Will definitely check out next time I'm in a bookstore.
Insanity we trust.

Suu

The Decameron at the same time as The Homeric Hymns.
:kingmeh:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Faust

I've started Wittgenstein's mistress, It has an interesting concept. Something about a woman who has either convinced herself that she is the last person in the world, or that it is in fact reality.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on February 23, 2011, 12:03:13 AM
I've started Wittgenstein's mistress, It has an interesting concept. Something about a woman who has either convinced herself that she is the last person in the world, or that it is in fact reality.

Author, please.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Did I mention that I'm reading " The School of Licentiousness" (Aka. " The One-Hundred-and-Twenty Days of Sodom") by His Excellancy the Most Honorable Donatien Alphonse Francois,  Marquis De Sade
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on February 25, 2011, 05:54:32 AM
Did I mention that I'm reading " The School of Licentiousness" (Aka. " The One-Hundred-and-Twenty Days of Sodom") by His Excellancy the Most Honorable Donatien Alphonse Francois,  Marquis De Sade

Its a really fascinating read, by the way. Especially the last three chapters, which describe acts* so bizarre in their perversity, that, so far as I can tell, not even the Urban Dictionary has names for them

* Such as the Forty-forth criminal passion, in which (squick warning) a man confines a monkey to a basket and engages in anal sex with it while the monkey is donkey-punched** by a prostitute. :horrormirth:

** Ordinary donkey-punching is the twenty-seventh criminal passion, btw :roll:.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 23, 2011, 12:09:25 AM
Quote from: Faust on February 23, 2011, 12:03:13 AM

Author, please.
David Markson. I couldn't pirate it, had to amazon.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Reading The Crippled God, the final part of the Malazan Books of the Fallen series.

The only problem is that its been so long since I've read the series, I've forgotten who at least half of the (incredibly large list of) characters are.

Kai

Reading Naming Nature: the clash between instinct and science by Carol Yoon.

And I can only put it down long enough to write this. Seldom does a book simultaneously infuriate and inspire me so well that I read it in one sitting. Best systematics popular science book out there, to be taken with both a grain of salt as all pop sci books should be. READ IT.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2011, 04:58:28 PM
Reading The Crippled God, the final part of the Malazan Books of the Fallen series.

The only problem is that its been so long since I've read the series, I've forgotten who at least half of the (incredibly large list of) characters are.

This part made me lol

Quote'Still nervous?' Hedge asked him. 'I'd be, if I was you. Khundryl like their horses. A lot. Between a warrior's horse and his mother, it's even odds which one he'd save, if it came down to choosing. Then you just went and killed 'em.'

'They were dying anyway, sir. In a single day, a horse needs more water than four soldiers, and those Khundryl were running out. Try bleeding a dehydrated animal, sir – it isn't easy.'

'Right, so now they got undead horses and still no water, meaning if you'd done that a week ago, why, all that sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary. They want to kill you, alchemist – it took me half a day to talk 'em out of it.'

Bavedict glared at Hedge. 'You just said, between horses and their mothers—'

'They'd save their mothers, of course. What are you, an idiot?'

The alchemist sighed.

'Anyway,' Hedge continued after a moment, 'we're all Bridgeburners now. Now it's true, we killed a few officers every now and then, if they was bad enough. Who wouldn't? Get a fool in charge and they're likely to get you all killed, so better top 'em first, right? But you ain't done nothing to earn that. Besides, I need you and so do they. So it's simple and all – nobody's gonna cut your throat.'

'I am most relieved, Commander.'

Hedge moved closer, dropping his voice. 'But listen. It's all about to fall apart – can you see that? The Bonehunters – those regulars – they're losing it.'

'Sir, we're not much better off.'

'So we don't want to get caught up in the slaughter, right? I already told my captains. We're gonna pull out hard as soon as it starts up – I want a hundred paces between us before they start looking for somebody new to kill.'

'Sir, do you think it will get that bad?'

Hedge shrugged. 'Hard to say. So far, the marines are holding 'em all in check. But there's gonna come a scrap, any time now, when a marine gets taken down. And the smell of blood will do it, mark my words.'

'How would the Bridgeburners have handled this, sir? Back in the day?'

'Simple. Sniff out the yappers and kill 'em. It's the ones who can't stop bitching, talking it up, egging on the stupider ones to do something stupid. Hoping it all busts out. Me' – he nodded to the column walking beside them – 'I'd jump Blistig and drag him off into the desert – and for a whole damned day nobody'd be sleeping, 'cause of all the screaming.'

'No wonder you all got outlawed,' Bavedict muttered

And this is why the Bridgeburners are one of my favourite fictional regiments.