Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pharmakon

Chaos, Territory, Art by Elizabeth Grosz

Disco Pickle

finally finished This is Not a Book and I have to say, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.  Makes a good bathroom book.  That being said: really condensed philosophy book =  :lulz:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Subtract Eight!

New Rushdie novel, Luka and the Fire of Life

plus a smattering of others that I'm reading very very slowly, multitasking.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

Reeducation

Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach

Perhaps the best there is when it comes to these advice/selfhelp books about running.
I've been running for fun (I really like it) for my whole life (well almost, there were few years when I was too "cool" to exercise) but now it's even more fun!

Books rule.
I am very calm

tyrannosaurus vex

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I'm on page 6. Oh god, this is horrible. I'm pretty sure I won't make it to page 7.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Jasper

What?  I've read excerpts, and thought well of it.

Don Coyote

I've read the whole thing. I need to read it again. After finish reading the bulk of Lovecraft's work.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: postvex™ on March 09, 2011, 04:45:41 PM
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I'm on page 6. Oh god, this is horrible. I'm pretty sure I won't make it to page 7.

I didn't mind it at all. It's not gripping particularly but the sense of horror is very real.

Right now I'm moving through the old testament of the bible. It's surprisingly readable.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Wizard

Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain.
Insanity we trust.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: aedh on March 10, 2011, 12:19:33 AM
I've read the whole thing. I need to read it again. After finish reading the bulk of Lovecraft's work.

Maybe I'm not old school enough, but I just don't get why it should take you 6 pages to say "I'm going to North Pole. I hear it's pretty there, and I might even figure out what makes compasses work."
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: postvex™ on March 10, 2011, 04:57:12 AM

Maybe I'm not old school enough, but I just don't get why it should take you 6 pages to say "I'm going to North Pole. I hear it's pretty there, and I might even figure out what makes compasses work."

I've been hitting the classics hard for a while now and have gotten used to the wordiness. Just one of those things.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Don Coyote

I have this really weird feeling I have never read Frankenstein. It's really disturbing to me. I think I need to it now, it's bugging that much.

Luna

Quote from: aedh on March 10, 2011, 06:26:02 AM

I have this really weird feeling I have never read Frankenstein. It's really disturbing to me. I think I need to it now, it's bugging that much.

Very simple solution, that.  (More so if it were me, since it's old enough to be public domain, and I have a Kindle. 

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/84

I get a LOT of my classics for free.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Luna on March 10, 2011, 10:41:18 AM
Quote from: aedh on March 10, 2011, 06:26:02 AM

Very simple solution, that.  (More so if it were me, since it's old enough to be public domain, and I have a Kindle. 

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/84

I get a LOT of my classics for free.

It's been on my kindle. I went and downloaded a crap load of classics when I got. I need to finish reading H.P. Lovecraft first.

Luna

Oh, definitely.  I went through a Lovecraft phase in October, read a lot of it around the time we took the Lovecraft walk in Providence.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."