News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Cartoon Guide to Chemistry.

It's awesome.  I didn't like the cartoon guide to the history of the universe as much, but this is great.  :D

AliceTheProfessional

Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac

Beyond Chutzpah: On the Misuse of Anti-Semitism and the Abuse of History by Norman Finkelstein
I'll take 3 creams & sugar in my coffee but if anyone should ask, I take it black. If anyone should ask, you tell them my coffees black.

Shatterbrain

Taking a second crack at Gravity's Rainbow.

The first time I tried to read it, I got about 200 pages in then met a 8-page 1-paragraph solid brick wall of text. So I started reading Perdido Street Station instead.

I think Gravity's Rainbow's writing and characters are really quite good, just that the pacing is a bit grating sometimes. I could see it coming off as pretentious if it isn't your thing.
"Whoever stands on the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." -Friedrich Nietzsche

LMNO

I have a feeling it's pretentious even if it is your thing.

Disco Pickle

I've completely given up on that book.  The Crying of Lot 49 was more than enough Pynchon for a lifetime.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Shatterbrain

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 24, 2011, 06:44:27 PM
I have a feeling it's pretentious even if it is your thing.

Maybe. I'd consider that a matter of opinion.
"Whoever stands on the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Disco Pickle

Just started Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie on recommendations from two separate friends.  Should keep me busy until Game of Thrones starts on HBO and I feel compelled to reread the entire series.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Freeky

I am on the last chapter of the last Dark Tower book.  My brain and eyes feel like they are fried.   :zombie:

Jasper

Good series.  I liked King's self-mocking use of DEM.

Laughin Jude

Quote from: Jenkem and Bubble Baths on April 01, 2011, 11:53:09 PM
I am on the last chapter of the last Dark Tower book.  My brain and eyes feel like they are fried.   :zombie:
Prepare to throw the book across the room if it's your first time!

...Actually, I kinda liked the ending once I figured out why he stuck the poem after the last chapter.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Luna

Between books at the moment.  Scanning the library to see what I've actually GOT.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

E.O.T.

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 23, 2011, 08:20:31 PM
Cartoon Guide to Chemistry.

It's awesome.  I didn't like the cartoon guide to the history of the universe as much, but this is great.  :D

YOU MEAN

this one leaves out the heavy, heavy mind programming social political bent?

LEAVE IT

to science!
"a good fight justifies any cause"

El Sjaako

Just finished The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.

Juana

In the Name of God and Country: Reconsidering Terrorism in American History by Micheal Fellman. Pretty good so far.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Eater of Clowns

Well in studying for my Holy Quest I finished up Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, and Night Watch.

Then immediately went into Rabbit, Redux.  Pratchett to Updike is a hell of a mood whiplash.  :sad:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.