News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

But we've dumped toxic waste on farmland and allowed corporations to flood rivers with their waste product for generations now!  You will offend the Animal Spirits of our Capitalist Ancestors if you force them to change their ways.

Ahem.

Now reading Politics Among Nations by Morgenthau, since it's been two years.  Morgenthau = teh win.  Liberal Jew who fled Nazi Germany, practically founded modern international political science and was put on Nixon's enemies list for all of the above (and opposing the Vietnam War).

navkat

My Kindle's top five in-progress reads (in order):
Paranormaility: Why We See What Isn't There - Richard Wiseman
Chao-te-Ching - Cram+
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
The Unincorporated War - Dani Kollin
The Ethical Slut - Dossie Easton/Janet Hardy

Juana

In the Name of God and County: Reconsidering Terrorism in American History by Michael Fellman. Excellent so far. Starts with John Brown and ends with the Philippine War.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

I have a copy of that, I've been intending to read it, but, well...

*looks meaningfully at the 10,000 or so books on the "to read really soon list*

Telarus

Terry Pratchet - Unseen Academials

It's already been mentioned that Strife is essential to life (by Vetinari no less). Also, Vetinari muses on about how if there is a Creator which made everything, it must be a right bastard and it's up to every sentient creature to attempt to become its Moral Superior.

And you get lines like this:

The rising sun managed to peek around the vast column of smoke that forever rose from Ankh-Morpork, City of Cities, illustrating almost up to the edge of space that smoke means progress or, at least, people setting fire to things.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

Quote from: navkat on July 27, 2011, 02:57:15 PM
My Kindle's top five in-progress reads (in order):
Paranormaility: Why We See What Isn't There - Richard Wiseman
Chao-te-Ching - Cram+
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
The Unincorporated War - Dani Kollin
The Ethical Slut - Dossie Easton/Janet Hardy

The Chao is right up there with my favourite discordian works.

And bourdein, I read one chapter of and loved it.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Pæs

Disco Pickle

Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

really enjoying it
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Quote from: Telarus on August 05, 2011, 10:57:41 AM
Terry Pratchet - Unseen Academials

It's already been mentioned that Strife is essential to life (by Vetinari no less). Also, Vetinari muses on about how if there is a Creator which made everything, it must be a right bastard and it's up to every sentient creature to attempt to become its Moral Superior.

And you get lines like this:

The rising sun managed to peek around the vast column of smoke that forever rose from Ankh-Morpork, City of Cities, illustrating almost up to the edge of space that smoke means progress or, at least, people setting fire to things.

It wasn't his best book, but there were some very good lines in it, true.

Telarus

I found a lot of echos of the BIP memes. The 'crab bucket' metaphor, and when the Night Kitchen cook realizes that "there is no hammer(so stop wincing at authority and get on with it)", and starts to get away with things just because she's the only one with the balls to do them. It was also  an interesting look at the City he's leaving us (I can't help but feel he's trying to nail things down into writing while he still can).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Juana

Quote from: Cain on July 28, 2011, 06:12:04 AM

Worth the wait, I have to say.

Picking Lev Grossman's The Magicians back up in anticipation of the sequel, which comes out the fifteenth. I'm a little wary of it, and not entirely thrilled with what I've heard so far. But I'm going to give it a chance anyway.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Hover Cat on August 06, 2011, 04:14:15 AM

Picking Lev Grossman's The Magicians back up in anticipation of the sequel, which comes out the fifteenth. I'm a little wary of it, and not entirely thrilled with what I've heard so far. But I'm going to give it a chance anyway.

I'm in the same boat, have been reticent to actually go through with purchase. Let me know how it goes.

Cain

I've heard it is "Harry Potter for grownups".

Unfortunately, there is already a Harry Potter for grownups, and it is called Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Epimetheus

Starting Pratchett's Small Gods. Recently completed most of Asimov's Foundation trilogy and I, Robot, and Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Foundation was interesting but a bit tedious after a while. I, Robot was good; the last chapter was great.

Quote"But you are telling me, Susan, that the 'Society for Humanity' is right; and that Mankind has lost its own say in its future."
   "It never had any, really. It was always at the mercy of economic and sociological forces it did not understand -- at the whims of climate, and the fortunes of war. Now the Machines understand them; and no one can stop them, since the Machines will deal with them as they are dealing with the Society, -- having, as they do, the greatest of weapons at their disposal, the absolute control of our economy."
   "How horrible!"
   "Perhaps how wonderful! Think, that for all time, all conflicts are finally evitable. Only the Machines, from now on, are inevitable!"
   And the fire behind the quartz went out and only a curl of smoke was left to indicate its place.

I can't say any of the three are among my favorite books. But I'm glad I finally read those famous Asimovs.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Juana

Quote from: Risus on August 07, 2011, 10:10:30 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on August 06, 2011, 04:14:15 AM

I'm in the same boat, have been reticent to actually go through with purchase. Let me know how it goes.
Will do. It shipped today, so I should know before long.

Quote from: Cain on August 08, 2011, 11:41:28 AM
I've heard it is "Harry Potter for grownups".

Unfortunately, there is already a Harry Potter for grownups, and it is called Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
I suppose. It's Harry Potter + Narnia + the modern novel, essentially. I still enjoyed it, though HPMoR is much, much funnier.