News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I'm also re-reading the Malazan Books of the Fallen.  I'm up to the Bonehunters, in just over 2 months, so that is pretty decent progress.

I'm also harvesting quotes from the series, because some of it is quite quotable.  Especially anything said by Kellanved, the most magnificent of Magnificent Bastards since, uh, ever, really.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2011, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 14, 2011, 05:39:08 PM
"Child Thief" is getting less readable as I go on. Holy mother fuck, this guy is an unimaginative writer! The storyline is imaginative enough, but the writing is telly and predictable.

Never heard of it.  How was it recommended to you?

I'm supposed to review it. Theoretically I ought to read the whole thing in order to give it a proper review, but I'm less than 1/4 of the way through and I don't know if I'll make it that far. If he mentions that Peter fucking Pan has pointy ears ONE MORE TIME I'm going to throw the fucking book. After mentioning the pointy ears 45 times in the first three chapters I can't imagine why  the stupid fucker didn't think his readers would maybe possibly KNOW THE FUCKING EARS ARE POINTY.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Psh, I only read halfway through a book, and I reviewed it.  Got a bonus payment for my troubles.

Admittedly, my book was much more interesting than this sounds.

Disco Pickle

A comic book store that was located across town for the last 20 years relocated to within 5 miles of me last February, but I just discovered it.  It's fairly impressive, but still out of my way considering I can walk to the one I've frequented since I was a teenager.

Two things I did pick up:

The Hedge Knight by GRR Martin.  The complete, collected stories, $15 and well worth it.  Set 100 years before Thrones, the Targaryans are rulers of the kingdoms.  It's first person from the view of a hedge knight who gets in a bad situation with one of Aegon's brothers.  If you're a fan, it belongs in your library.  Makes me want to reread the first book because I'm now a bit fuzzy on the lineage all of a sudden.

The other one is a graphically illustrated, shortened version of Shut Up, Stop Whining & Get a Life by Larry Winget. 

I won't comment more than to say that I agree with the entire thing.  Some funny panels in it too.

Oh, and I went to my first estate auction tonight with the GF and her GF.  I saw a very poorly kept box of papers that looked like a book that had been well worn, and had The Complete Works of Shakespeare (including 100 unique lithographs) as the top piece of paper.  Never done an auction, but decided I wanted it and would spend at least $50 for it.

After sitting there an hour and a half, I asked someone if they could move it up.  They did, I bid $20, no one out bid me and I came home with a box of papers.

Looked it up and found it here: http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/shakespeare-william-cullen-bryant-ed/

printed in 1886 in NY.  Printed in 25 volumes, 4 lithographs per volume.  It's in very poor condition unfortunately, none of the original leather covers and most of the binding is gone, and I haven't determined if I have every volume but I definitely have at least 9 and every lithograph I've found in it has been pristine, despite the serious wear on the edges of the paper.

I'm in love with it and will keep it forever, and may have developed a "thing" for estate auctions.  They were GIVING shit away.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Rumckle

I'm reading Fooled by Randomness by Taleb at th moment, it is pretty interesting. I especially like how he talks about monte carlo engines, as I've just learnt about them in physics.

Also, my copy of Feynman by Ottaviani and Myrick just arrived (I ordered it over a month ago  :argh!:), it looks pretty cool, it is written in graphic novel form.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BadBeast

Quote from: Nigel on October 15, 2011, 01:38:48 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2011, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 14, 2011, 05:39:08 PM
"Child Thief" is getting less readable as I go on. Holy mother fuck, this guy is an unimaginative writer! The storyline is imaginative enough, but the writing is telly and predictable.

Never heard of it.  How was it recommended to you?

I'm supposed to review it. Theoretically I ought to read the whole thing in order to give it a proper review, but I'm less than 1/4 of the way through and I don't know if I'll make it that far. If he mentions that Peter fucking Pan has pointy ears ONE MORE TIME I'm going to throw the fucking book. After mentioning the pointy ears 45 times in the first three chapters I can't imagine why  the stupid fucker didn't think his readers would maybe possibly KNOW THE FUCKING EARS ARE POINTY.
That sounds like a good, honest review right there.  :lulz:
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

NET I HOPE YOU READ THIS

I was looking for those two books you were going to borrow today, and I am sadly forced to conclude that I left them at ML's house. :( Which means that I will never see them again.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Salty

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2011, 03:18:51 AM
About three quarters of the way through.  Willikin's expanded role is very welcome in this book, as is Young Sam's constant ruminations on the subject of poo.

Ooh those are my favorite Pratchett books. Must acquire.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

BadBeast

Willikins is a bit of a double hard bastard on the quiet.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Salty

Well, yeah. He's a badass motherfucker. Didn't he bite a man's nose off in Jingo?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

BadBeast

I know he used to run with the Shamlegger St Rude Boys. Wore a Cap with a brim full of razor sharp pennies. The Rope St Hookies still remember him as that right double hard bastard who left at least half of their OG Fathers with less teeth and more nose than they had previous to meeting him up a dark alley.  And the other half still glance around nervously at the sound of his name. I heard that he effortlessly took out six unlicensed snaggers who jumped him in the Shades one night, and casually one of their faces right away from the bone. The Dolly Sisters had to suggest a different career for him,  because the even paid up Guild members were too nervous to work the Shades for a week after seeing what that poor snagger was left to smile with.  He was co opted into the Old Duke's Household Service, where he's been ever since. A most capable man by all accounts. Wears  Ladies Lacy underwear according to Rosie Palm. Who isn't given to making gossip up. Much.
In the same Guildmason's Lodge as Vetinari too, so he must be well connected.

Cain

His finest moment, before those in Snuff, was his one in Thud, where he took down a dwarven assassin with an ice knife, then hung the other one on a meat hook.

As Vimes remarks in Snuff, he'd make a damn good copper, if he didn't make such a fine assassin.  I think his reply was something along the line that he had considered the Assassins Guild, but they had rules.

Juana

Snuff is currently sitting on my desk, but I haven't started it yet. I really need to, from the sounds of it.

The South vs. The South: How Anti-Confederate Southerners Shaped the Course of the Civil War by William Freehling. It's a for-class book, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Re-reading American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America by Chris Hedges. I know I've said it before, but I highly recommend it.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Xooxe

WAIT WHY IS THIS THREAD UNOFFICIAL? WHERE ARE THE CORRECT CHANNELS?