News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

-

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Colin Wilson's book just defended an argument by referencing morphogenic fields. I think I might drop it.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 03, 2013, 07:58:08 PM
Ah, probably not.  I was thinking of Alain de Botton's book.

I just looked him up, and I think I have to add his book to my list of post-quarter reading.

Demolition Squid

Recently read Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls by Jane Lindskold.

One of my friends recommended it to me. I was sceptical because the description sounded really, really cheesy. 'Its cyberpunk but the crazy girl can talk to objects and also there's homeless children who take after the Jungle Book'.

Actually it was surprisingly good. Not exactly highbrow, but the writing was solid, and the main character's verbal tic makes for a very interesting read. I also failed to see one of the plot twists coming, which gave me a pleasant surprise given how I thought things were going to pan out.

Next up on my list is Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun. by Mark Thomas. I'm expecting this one to include far fewer talking stuffed animals, but I'm prepared to be wrong.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 04, 2013, 06:40:44 PM

One of my friends recommended it to me. I was sceptical because the description sounded really, really cheesy. 'Its cyberpunk but the crazy girl can talk to objects and also there's homeless children who take after the Jungle Book'.

Actually it was surprisingly good. Not exactly highbrow, but the writing was solid, and the main character's verbal tic makes for a very interesting read. I also failed to see one of the plot twists coming, which gave me a pleasant surprise given how I thought things were going to pan out.

This sounds really cool.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Working on "The Trouble With Testosterone" by Robert Sapolsky.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on October 03, 2013, 08:10:38 PM
Colin Wilson's book just defended an argument by referencing morphogenic fields. I think I might drop it.

Wait, you mean to admit being influenced by reference to a field, the effect of which you also purport to deny...  Wow ! (Sheldrake was not available for comment :) ?

Don Coyote

on to The Quest for the Holy Grail for me.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Demolition Squid on October 04, 2013, 06:40:44 PM

Next up on my list is Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun. by Mark Thomas. I'm expecting this one to include far fewer talking stuffed animals, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Excellent book, are his other books. It's a shame the stage show appears not to be coming to DVD anytime soon.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns

Started reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  The way this guy writes is so ....  almost musical.  It flows so nicely.

Salty

It is very rare that fiction holds me anymore, it's been years since I've been enamoured with any writer. The last one to really hold me was Upton Sinclair, you just don't put the line down so neatly and sharply, in such deep horror, without tugging at my mishappen heart

Anyhow, I just started in on DH Lawrence's Sons and Lovers and two things:

1. Damn that dude can put down the word.
2. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Given to alienation inherent of "independent self-determined resolve", our subject failed to recognize the full extent to which it was informed by misunderstanding its relation to the other.

Salty

Salty