News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

"The reason I Jump"
/The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-OldbBoy with Autism
_Naoki Higashida

The man is a post-deconstructuralist Genius

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

Reading Lawrence Wright's The Looming Tower.

Definitely one of the best books on the history of Al-Qaeda out there.  Dispels a lot of myths, especially the self-serving ones spread by Bin Laden of his involvement in certain terrorist attacks (Black Hawk Down, the Khobar Towers etc), the Arab Mujahideen in Afghanistan (mostly worthless rabble) and of his wealth...most of which was confiscated by the Saudis when he was expelled.

It also illustrates in great detail the amorphous and mostly imaginary status of Al-Qaeda before 1998, and the key role of Ayman al-Zawahiri as the "brains" of the jihadist alliance.

And most interestingly, it paints Michael Scheuer, the head of the CIA's Alec Station and author of Imperial Hubris as a complete fucking lunatic.  He was arguing for using cruise missiles to eliminate Bin Laden while he was staying with donors in the Emirates.  The CIA and FBI estimated there would be upwards of 300 civilian casualties, but Scheuer didn't care.  He wanted Bin Laden dead, no matter how much collateral damage was caused.

Of course, this was the man who has subsequently said America needs to be nuked by terrorists to be saved from being nuked by terrorists, so this isn't entirely unsurprising.

Bu🤠ns

Ghost in the Wires --  My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick

It's fun--it's kinda of a How-to-Social-Engineer-the-phone-company-in-autobiography form...but it's fun.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 29, 2013, 06:34:30 PM
Ghost in the Wires --  My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick

It's fun--it's kinda of a How-to-Social-Engineer-the-phone-company-in-autobiography form...but it's fun.

That's a pretty good one. Mitnick isn't a bad writer (although I realize it was coauthored). My only problem with it was that it repeated a lot of stories found elsewhere, and didn't add a whole lot of 'new' / unpublished content.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Wisa1

Finally attacking Jung in the flesh via the "Modern Man in Search of a  Soul"  collection.
Barely a dozen pages left however, any suggestions as to which of old CeeGee's books I should attack next?
or maybe I should just head straight for The Collected Works.
"As I treks through the cesspit I sharps up my wit"
"We dont wanna be, we just be"
-Roots Manuva

Lenin McCarthy

Reading The Philosophy of Boredom by Lars Fr. H. Svendsen.
A pretty interesting and witty essay. It doesn't really come up with any solutions to escape boredom, but it provides some insight and a vocabulary to discuss it with and that is pretty neat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started "When It All Comes Down To Dust" and "You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on November 30, 2013, 03:09:47 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 29, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

That's a pretty good one. Mitnick isn't a bad writer (although I realize it was coauthored). My only problem with it was that it repeated a lot of stories found elsewhere, and didn't add a whole lot of 'new' / unpublished content.

I started Art of Deception and quickly found that out also.  Personally I preferred hearing the techniques in a narrative form rather than in the 'how to' form.  It flows much better that way.

GitW was a good story--I enjoyed it a lot :)

Bu🤠ns

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://inktank.fi/10-sci-fi-novels-thatll-change-look-world-forever/&strip=1

of all the books in this list, what would PD recommend?

1. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell (1949)
2. Solaris, Stanislaw Lem (1961)
3. Never Let Me Go, Kazua Ishiguru (2005)
4. The Passage, Justin Cronin (2010)
5. I, Robot, Isaac Asimov (1950)
6. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood (1985)
7. Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein (1959)
8. Flowers for Albergon, Daniel Keyes (1966)
9. Flatland, Edwin A. Abbott (1882)
10. Blindness, Jose Saramago (1995)

Cain

I, Robot.

Asimov's the best writer in that list who I've read.

LMNO

Solaris is a bit dry, but has some pretty good stuff in it.

hooplala

Flatland gave me strange ideas of how to imagine space in the universe(s).
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Subject matter of "A handmaids tale" was interesting, but I couldn't stand the style.

I'd second Asimov, and Orwell naturally. Both have tons worth reading.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns