News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Never let me go - great creeper, sometimes more subtly menacing, to some, less apparently sci-fi to others.

Reginald Ret

Flatland; 1984; and Asimov, Though i prefer his foundation books to his robot books.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Payne

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Go with Solaris. It's more dry than Gibson, but less dry than typical (Foundation- or Robots- era) Asimov.

I recently finished Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity. It's probably one of the best cyberpunk novels I've read -- it's up there with Altered Carbon and Count Zero, at least. It seems like my decision to read novels written by Cracked columnists is continuing to pay off. And, unlike John Dies at the End, the narrative twists and turns are both unexpected (but understandable in retrospect) and satisfying. There's a little bit of first-novel-itis in the first couple chapters, but that's to be expected.

I'm a few pages away from the end of Moonwalking with Einstein. It was great, but I'm kind of disappointed because I seem to have already essentially read the whole book in exerpt form. I usually end up having this problem with books that are collections of articles written for other sources (Gibson and Stephenson's essay books, for instance, and occasionally a Ronson book), but this is the first time it's happened with a book that has a solid narrative. I suspect that he adapted several of his articles covering memory competitions into parts of the book, and that most of the remaining passages made their way into articles advertising the book (the way passages from non-fiction books by journalists for popular audiences often do).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Odibex Grallspice

I don't read anymore (pity that, hope I don't get ousted for it) but the last couple of good books I read were by Graham Greene.. The Confidential Agent and, I think, The Man Within.

Cain

Odibex Grallspice

Yeah, good stuff. I pursued him on the advice of Burroughs.

Bu🤠ns

So I ended up picking up Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.  I know, not on the list...but that's sort of how things happen with me....I did pick up copies of the recommendations though so they're on the queue. 

Also...um...dinosaur fetishists and that silicone thing?? WTF WARREN ELLIS....oh right...warren ellis

Junkenstein

About 50 pages into "Raising Steam", the most recent Pratchett Discworld. Not entirely sure how I feel about it so far. Making any kind of negative comment seems like, well, criticizing someone's writing for suffering under Alzheimers. That said, the change of voice and the way it reads in general is quite odd. A bit like someone doing an impression of him. At times, a very good one but there's still something missing.

Will finish it, I only find it worth commenting on as I'd usually finish a Pratchett in a few hours. I hope it's just me being overly critical.

ETA - Fixed idiot typos.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Yes, I found that to be the case when I read it as well.

I understand his daughter is helping him write the books now, which is what I felt might account for the slightly different tone.  It's not bad, just...different.  It's not quite as crisp as, say, Reaper Man or Feet of Clay was, but having two authors often causes there to be less focus.

Cain

As does having Alzheimers.  Oh snap!

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

LMNO

Most likely.  But that'll be one of the lesser charges.

Mainly, it'll be because of "The Incident."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on January 03, 2014, 02:33:56 PM
So I ended up picking up Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.  I know, not on the list...but that's sort of how things happen with me....I did pick up copies of the recommendations though so they're on the queue. 

Also...um...dinosaur fetishists and that silicone thing?? WTF WARREN ELLIS....oh right...warren ellis

Now read Gun Machine.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 01:42:53 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on January 03, 2014, 02:33:56 PM

Now read Gun Machine.

10-4

Reginald Ret

Well shit. I was really looking forward to reading a new discworld novel. Now i will still read and enjoy it but i will have a continous sad while doing so.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"