News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 10:41:27 PM
We need a :pledge: emoticon.

We need a link to 30 Days of Eris because I can't seem to find it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Something something "Faith" something.

Like Spiders was "Hey Jim"

Scilon Agent

I have an urge to read one of your 30 stories. Make that happen
If [a person] was considered to be in contempt of court or anything like that, [he was] simply fried since there was a curtain of radioactive material which went clear across the front of the bench anywhere that a witness or anybody would stand, and so on.

Eater of Clowns

Found it.

It'll take some scrolling to get to LMNO's stuff.

Also this is what I'm reading now.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Thanks, man. Your Google fu is impressive.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 10:57:29 PM
Thanks, man. Your Google fu is impressive.

I remembered it was in Principia Discussion and that I'd replied to it to, so I just scrolled through a few pages of the board, skimming for large topics that I'd replied to.

Your bit starts here.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

LMNO

Yeah, page 20.

Though, for those of you who want to know where that all came from, reading the first 20 pages will really set the tone.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Scilon Agent on March 12, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 10:11:35 PM
Because of "True Detective", I finally started reading "The King in Yellow". It's got that old-horror-obviousness-and-kinda-boring-but-some-cool-narrative-ideas thing going on.

As with Lovecraft, Poe and other pioneers of the early 'romantic' and later macabre movement what you have to understand is that their intent was different than the modern horror author's intent. They were also some of the early practitioners of the short story as a medium.

In some ways, modern viewers fail to appreciate the artistry involved as even the project of writing itself was such a rare and difficult task at that time what with no electricity, things were still done by oil lighting or maybe, MAYBE by gas light.

So please, have some consideration for the Genre ^_^

:kojak:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Scilon Agent on March 12, 2014, 10:40:11 PM
Did you know you come off preachy and elitist when you post an opinion? Because you do, in case you weren't aware.

So what I hear you saying is I sound preachy and elitist in my last post addressing you. And it probably makes you feel talked down to and disrespected. Is that how you felt? I can remember a time when I felt the same way, I was trying to make a poster for work and a co-worker kept chiming in with unwanted advice.

In the future I'll be more careful of how I approach you. Would that be okay?

You may have noticed that your approach isn't working.  If you are not curious about this, I'll just leave you to it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Currently reading The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior: The Intersecting Lives of Da Vinci, Machiavelli, and Borgia and the World They Shaped by Paul Strathern.

The title is a bit oversold, as Da Vinci is, by Strathern's own admission, something of a ghost in this history, whose feelings and ideas can only be inferred, never verified.  Nevertheless, it's an engaging portrait of Renaissance Italy, the scheming and treachery of the Italian city-states and how Cesare Borgia nearly outwitted them all.

It also does a lot to bring Machiavelli's character into a better light.  Although it's well known among scholars of Machiavelli's life and work, his reputation rather overshadows a man known for his quick wit and ribald jokes, his erudition and precision with the written word, than as the arch-philosopher of amoral political power.

Bu🤠ns

Bloodsucking Fiends, A Love Story by christopher moore....again...

I was told this and the sequels are some of his best.

Also that's interesting, Cain, at one point I've wondered if there was more of a non-biased profile of Machiavelli than the one that's mostly sold.

Cain

There's a few out there.  That's one, Machiavelli, Philosopher of Power by Ross King would be another.

He had a pretty rough life, actually.  Not least while he was the Florentine Ambassador to the court of Cesare Borgia.  Strathern recounts from his letters how the city was refusing to pay his expenses, leaving Machiavelli virtually destitute. And, of course, the Medici were not his biggest fans either, once they ended the Republic and seized power again.

Faust

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 12, 2014, 10:54:46 PM
Found it.

It'll take some scrolling to get to LMNO's stuff.

Also this is what I'm reading now.

We need a better way of organising this stuff, be it it's own page like the book, or a list of links like the reading list.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Or, I could get off my ass and just publish the damn thing already...