News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Angel Tech - A Alli
The Sacred Depths of Nature - U Goodenough
Religion is Not About God - L Rue
Dancing With the Sacred - K E Peters
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Thurnez Isa

Death from the Skies by Philip Plaint

just exploring astronomical doomsday scenarios, including alien invasion  :lulz:
only a little in, so far more entertaining then Bad Astronomy, which I enjoyed, so I guess that's kind of an endorsement
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Iason Ouabache

Phil Plaitt is awesome. I haven't had a chance to read "Death from the Skies" yet. I'm waiting to find it in paperback.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Spork

The Loving Dominant by John and Libby Warren.

They didn't have BDSM for Idiots at my local love shack, so this was the next best thing.  I figure with the stakes in this scene as high as they are, I'd be better off (and so will she) if I RTFM first.

Details another time...

maybe.

That One Guy

I just started reading Nixonland, and so far I'm definitely impressed. Should be a good read :mrgreen:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Xooxe

Months ago, Cain briefly mentioned that the three writers who truly understood the twentieth century were Nietzsche, Foucault, and Kafka.

I've read the first two, but not Kafka, so I've just started reading The Trial. So far it's pretty good.  :)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm about halfway through Pattern Recognition. I had been avoiding it, since Gibson plus present-day appeared likely to equal fail, but it's not half bad now that I've gotten into it. It seems that he's getting much closer to his roots as an english major trained in postmodern lit-crit as his career as a novelist progresses. That said, I found his prose to actually take a downturn here, but my taste in writing style is apparently very unusual (particularly with the type of critics who review the type of books Gibson writes).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Its one of his weaker works, but I like it.

Spork

Revised Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast by Pojar and Mackinnon, commonly referred to as "Pojar".  I love this book.  I use it as a reference, and also as an escape, remembering flowers I've seen, and noting flowers I will see.

Today, I identified three beautiful white flowers:  Dwarf Dogwood, Coast Boykinia, and Bear-Grass.  I'll try to organize a link to the pictures.

Iason Ouabache

"Saving Darwin: How to Be a Christian and Believe in Evolution" By Karl Giberson.  Despite the title, there is very little Christian apologetics. It is mostly about the history of Young Earth Creationism. Interesting facts so far: modern Young Earth Creationism didn't exist until 1961. Before then almost no one disputed the age of the earth, including evangelical Christians. It wasn't until Philip Johnson Henry Morris dusted off an obscure Seventh Day Adventist text that YEC as we know it was born.

Edited for the getting the idiot's name wrong.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 24, 2009, 10:08:39 PM
"Saving Darwin: How to Be a Christian and Believe in Evolution" By Karl Giberson.  Despite the title, there is very little Christian apologetics. It is mostly about the history of Young Earth Creationism. Interesting facts so far: modern Young Earth Creationism didn't exist until 1961. Before then almost no one disputed the age of the earth, including evangelical Christians. It wasn't until Philip Johnson dusted off an obscure Seventh Day Adventist text that YEC as we know it was born.

I've heard of this book, its actually on my reading list. Thanks for sharing.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 08, 2009, 04:41:01 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2009, 04:35:57 AM

Them's the asswipes at Microsoft who decided not to fucking zip the file.

They are the FIRST bastards against the wall, come the revolution.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft employees are among the primary targets for most revolutionary efforts. You may do well to make an alliance.

I have a list of said employees i want to deal with personally.

Unfortunately they're all in fucking India.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

the last yatto

today's book buys
necronomicon (ONLY A FUCKING DOLLAR TOO)
raw- everything is under control (7 bucks)
Douglas Adams- dirk gently's holistic detective agency (bbc radio broadcast)
Sayings of Confucius
Phillip k Dick - Dr. Bloodmoney or, How we got along after the Bomb first in reading que
Steven King- drawing of the three, DTV: Wolves of the Calla, the regulators & the stand (uberlong edition)
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

I preferred the longer version of The Stand.  It added a lot to some of the characters.