News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rygD

Are you saying you already finished reading it?  With just work, edumacation and looking for the best prices on things with which to arm my family before my Commander in Chief takes away our ability to buy them, I currently have almost no time to read.  How the fuck do you find time and money for books like you do?
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Cain

Well, money-wise, I pirate ebooks, so that is not a problem.

Time-wise, I am an insomniac, which helps (sometimes, when not too exhausted to read) and also, thanks to the recession, work about 20 hours a week, give or take.  Given I'd only be spending any extra money I made on books anyway, most likely, this arrangement works out well.

The Wizard

Currently reading:

Illuminatus (well re-reading)

The Eternal Prison by Jeff Somers (good piece of SF noir)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (also re-reading)

And finally Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (my personal hero)
Insanity we trust.

Eater of Clowns

Comics and Sequential Art - Will Eisner
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Xooxe

I ordered Wetware: A Computer In Every Living Cell and I can't wait for it to arrive. Here's the product blurb from Amazon:

QuoteHow does a single-cell creature, such as an amoeba, lead such a sophisticated life? How does it hunt living prey, respond to lights, sounds, and smells, and display complex sequences of movements without the benefit of a nervous system? This book offers a startling and original answer.

In clear, jargon-free language, Dennis Bray taps the findings of the new discipline of systems biology to show that the internal chemistry of living cells is a form of computation. Cells are built out of molecular circuits that perform logical operations, as electronic devices do, but with unique properties. Bray argues that the computational juice of cells provides the basis of all the distinctive properties of living systems: it allows organisms to embody in their internal structure an image of the world, and this accounts for their adaptability, responsiveness, and intelligence.

Guessing it will go into gene expression and protein signaling.

rygD

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2009, 03:45:57 PM
Well, money-wise, I pirate ebooks, so that is not a problem.

Time-wise, I am an insomniac, which helps (sometimes, when not too exhausted to read) and also, thanks to the recession, work about 20 hours a week, give or take.  Given I'd only be spending any extra money I made on books anyway, most likely, this arrangement works out well.

So it is the work thing.  I also steal ebooks, although I frequently purchase many of them.   I also decided to invest in one of the previous generation ebook readers from Sony to make it more convenient to read.  Now if only I had more time to read.

"And the best thing, the very best thing of all, is there's time now.  There's all the time I need and all the time I want.  Time, time, time.  Ahhhh, there's time enough at last!"

Cainad (dec.)

rygD

Oh, by the way, sent a message to the gentleman who mentioned ebooks.  Not sure if he saw it or not...

emu_luver

Currently reading Moby-Dick...... :fap:
promised myself I wouldn't read anything else until I was done with it.
Next I'll probably read Breakfast of Champions (Vonnegut) or some Raymond Chandler stuff.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Lately I've been reading various selections from the biblical Apocrypha. (btw. Has anybody else noticed the paralells between the events of chapter fourteen of the First Infancy gospel of Jesus Christ and the testimony given by David Berkowitz regarding his motives for committing the "Son of Sam" killings?)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

Quote from: rygD on October 30, 2009, 08:22:53 PM
Oh, by the way, sent a message to the gentleman who mentioned ebooks.  Not sure if he saw it or not...

Seen and replied.  Hope that was all useful?

I'm going to do a commentary on "First As Tragedy, Then As Farce", with lots of excerpts.  This, along with Nano and another piece of writing for the site, is why I'm not on here too much of late.

Cain

BTW, the new Wheel of Time book is a noticeable improvement on, well, every book after the first six of the series.  It actually feels like the plot might be moving somewhere, and he doesn't take entire pages to describe peoples clothing or the expression on their face, or their entire personal history from the day they were born up until the present.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just read Franny and Zooey, now I'm reading a collection of short stories called "Love is a Four-Letter Word".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Lately I've been trying to keep myself from buying books until I finish a few of the ones I already have, but I read the first three pages of Human Smoke in the bookstore and was compelled to part with $17.

Dimocritus

"Watch-men" graphic novel.

"Harrison Bergeron," a real short story by Vonnegut (out of my ethics text-book, no less), but it's freakin' awesome.

And trying to get a friend to lend me "House of Leaves" on the basis of the fucked up format alone.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"